Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:44 am

Programs: United Plus
This is not ap point to debate. On take-off and landing, if the baby does not have a car seat, the FAA, amoug other authorities reqires that the baby be LOOSE in tbe adult's lap. Don't forget that even a small adult is MUCH bigger than a baby, who doesn't have a chance in forward impact. Turbulence happens inflight, when the baby carrier can be used.

Yes, it's a common myth that babies are supposed to suck on take-off and landing. The AAP recommends simply that the baby be awake at the TOP od descent. Landing is too late. Taking your baby to a doctor before leaving, to make sure there is no blockage or infection is the BEST way to make sure there are no ear problems. Healthy ears can handle pressurization changes without unnecessarily waking a child and forcing him or her to drink when they don't want to. Babies fall asleep a lot on the tarmac. Leave them in peace!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Sorry I don't think you get to decide what points are debatable

I don't want my baby "LOOSE" at any time on an aircraft, so that's not
going to happen. And, YMMV wrt ears, the parents have to try what
works, but loads of people have the best-to-nurse experience.

--LG
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
An obvious miscommunication here. I take Eclipsepearl's comment to mean that the lap infant should be held and not strapped down in a carrier (eg, baby bjorn) or a sling on takeoff/landing, not that the child should be sitting in the parent's lap without being held or restrained in any way. That would clearly be folly.

With regard to nursing on ascent/descent, again, I think you're both saying the same thing. lg10's point is that sucking/suckling often works for babies who experience discomfort due to pressurization. Eclipsepearl's point is that it's not a must, particularly if the child is already asleep or appears comfortable and isn't making a fuss. Maybe you want to be proactive and give the child something to suck on, but I would agree that one should let sleeping tots lie. We've done both, having traveled multiple times with a lap infant.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:51 am

I don't decide, the air authorities do! There is no "debate" when it comes to the rules regarding air travel.

If it's a U.S., German or Canadian company (among others, I believe) you must not have the baby attached to you in any way. They can't be in your seat belt, or in any sort of baby carrier (just for take-off and landing). The Flight Attendants are supposed to look for this as part of their duties. It's not just for the baby's safety and when you fly, you have to follow federal law. Not doing so could be interpreted as "non-cooperation with the crew" and get you "off loaded". So not only is it better for your child to not be attached, it's not worth the risk of breaking the rules!

If you don't want the baby loose in your lap, you need to buy a ticket for him or her, and bring an approved car seat. This is really the only way to have them safe on the flight, especially for take-off and landing. Lap babies are allowed because flying itself is safe, there is very little chance of anything going wrong but these children are not protected and there really is no way around this.

But using the baby carrier during the flight is not a problem and there are no rules against it. Not only are baby carriers super-convenient for travel in general but I felt safer using it while walking the aisles since my hands were free. In turbulence, I could grab a hold of something and my baby was secure against me.

The dynamics and g-forces are different with turbulence than with take-off and landing. Accidents are rare, usually happening during those two phases of flight. By contrast, who hasn't been in turbulence?!? The movement can be up, down, side-to-side...

I'm not going to address the ears-issue because it's also so rare. In 13 years of flying, perhaps twice and the baby was/had recently been sick with a head cold. It's really hard to evaulate crying. Teething? too hot? over tired? hungry? Feeding, especially breastfeeding kind of covers it all! The universal baume...

Do what works for you but please bear in mind that this "helpful" tip can make parents fret, wake their children unnecessarily and/or prompt them to remove a baby from a car seat during take-off and landing (the most important times for them to be strapped in!). All of my babies were breastfed and none took pacifiers. Two also never had bottles. They stayed safely strapped in for take-off and landing without any ear problems, usually asleep. It's less of an issue with lap babies but at the top of descent, not landing, it's a good idea just to have them awake to adjust their ears. They can then nodd off if their ears are adjusting as they should.

I also push the doctor's visit because we did once "catch" an ear infection with my son right before a transatlantic. Good thing huh?? How awful a flight that could have been and sucking would have been of little relief if his ears had been really blocked!

Here's the AAP article;
http://www.aap.org/patiented/flyingbaby.htm
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:33 pm

Seating placement

We are headed to Maui from Denver on a UA direct flight. Currently, we have the 3 seats in the center row (for me, dad, and son who is 2).

Question: If we decide to bring his carseat, are we out of luck? Currently, there are no window seats left in coach, but there are some in economy+. Would we be upgraded?

We are still undecided about bringing the carseat on. Torn between lugging the Marathon around and getting a CARES restraint with a Toddler Coddler.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alohajo
We are headed to Maui from Denver on a UA direct flight. Currently, we have the 3 seats in the center row (for me, dad, and son who is 2).

Question: If we decide to bring his carseat, are we out of luck? Currently, there are no window seats left in coach, but there are some in economy+. Would we be upgraded?

We are still undecided about bringing the carseat on. Torn between lugging the Marathon around and getting a CARES restraint with a Toddler Coddler.
If you are freq flyer, good chance of upgrade - but if you have paid seat, why can you not use seat?
I have not used the CARES, but it is highly recommended and easy to tote.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
If you are freq flyer, good chance of upgrade - but if you have paid seat, why can you not use seat?
I have not used the CARES, but it is highly recommended and easy to tote.
He's probably not sure if they're allowed to use the big carseat in
a "center" section - though I thought you guys checked it out from an earlier
poster and found that the very center seat was ok with the parents
next to it..? Or does it depend on airline?

--LG
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:26 am
Suspended

My experience is that you have a car seat and a paid seat, the FA will almost always help you as it is safer for child (and them) to get you into it. If you have child seat and no paid seat, but there are empty seats on the plane, they will usually move people for same reason.

Alot of people think that their assigned seat is "theirs" - but airline contract says FA can move you at their discretion.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Center seat in the middle section is fine. Sounds like you (alohajo) will be on a 767. I've flown this equipment between ORD-SAN and ORD-LAX on UA with a carseat in the middle seat. I've also flown ORD-HNL UA non-stop on a 777 with a carseat in the middle seat of the 5 seat middle section. No worries.

I'd go with a carseat over CARES, personally, as both my daughters sleep very soundly in theirs. Also, need a carseat at the destination, right?

It is more cumbersome to lug it through the terminal/plane, admittedly, but worth it on the plane ride, imo. Note that the tray table probably won't be able to go all the way down with a carseat, so that's a consideration.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 2:16 am

Programs: NW Gold, UA Premiere Exec, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by baglady
Take the carseat. We have the Britax Marathon and we've lugged it all over. It's heavy, it's a pain, but it gives our daughter a sense of security and she likes being able to sit up and look out the window. I feel better from a safety standpoint, and she likes sitting in it - she's used to it.
I lug a heavy seat too, but i bought a thing that is like a little dolly that ratchets on to the car seat and lets you wheel it around like a stroller right up the jetway. It's called a 'go-go babyz'. It was pricey but since I fly alone with her between the US and Europe it was sure worth it.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by sheila-toulouse
I lug a heavy seat too, but i bought a thing that is like a little dolly that ratchets on to the car seat and lets you wheel it around like a stroller right up the jetway. It's called a 'go-go babyz'. It was pricey but since I fly alone with her between the US and Europe it was sure worth it.
I just strap my 25lbs seat to a metal luggage cart. Works just as well and costs much less. I use an extra bungee cord and it's easier to take off for security than those screws on the GogoKidz.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: NZ and UA
If your child can still fit in, and you still have an infant (rear facing) carseat I highly reccomend bringing it. You can gate check it. Of course, in HNL they wanted to make me check it, I said NO WAY and they said it was the rule. I said I'm bringing it with me and I did. The gate agents didn't flinch when they saw it and asked if i needed gate check tags. When I got home to BOS I was mortified to see how many carsseat were sitting in the unclaimed baggage lockers. I knew I did the right thing for me. If anything, have an extra car seat in your car at the airport just in case. having a bby with no seat in a car would totally suck!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:48 am

I also believe you have to put a carseat in the window seat as not to block you or someone else in an emergency from a quixk exit.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:53 am

sorry bout the 3rd post but I agree with above statement, get a dr appt if your kid has ANY symptoms before your flight.
We just took our 1 year old (at the time) to HI from BOS and he did totally fine. I really believe they are more comfortable without the seat but if you believe safety is an issue then bring it on. It was a long haul for us to get across the country and then over the pacific. Also, any boredom should be met with games (bring something) and wals down the aisle. hopefully you have a 767 as you can go down 1 and up the other. flight attendants were GREAT on our trip. Be careful of getting seats by the wings as some say the oxygen is not as abundant there, my wife had to have O2 adminsitered on the red eye to BOS and FA said it could be the seat. Also bring lots of snacks.
I highly enjoyed HNL with our son and anyone going have a great time.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:07 am

Hi - can I chip in with my own question and frustration with BA

We are flying home from Sydney in first with our then only just 2 year old in Jan (culmination of years of miles collecting). So he has his own seat as he will be classed as a child. So far so good.

I am trying to get definitive info from BA regarding belts and car seat arrangements. My current understanding is this - please let me know if I am wrong, but I'm not getting much joy out of BA

1. He has to have his own seat, and therefore has to be in it for take-off and landing and cannot sit on our laps
2. According to the BA website you cannot use the AMsafe system on First class sleeper seats.
So the choices are just adult lap belt or take the car seat. I'm not happy tha the adult lap belt on its own is safe enough for a skinny just 2 year old. We don't need the car seat for our trip as we are being loaned a car and car seat by family.

So my questions are:
1. are there ANY alternatives to taking the car seat to provide a safer balt/seat strap in First class BA sleeper seats
2. IF we decide to take the car seat because the answer to the above is no, then will the car seat have to stay in the cabin seat for the whole journey - i.e. defeating the point of a sleeper bed and denyging us valuable play space - are they able to store them anywhere at other times than take-off and landing - I would have thought that the answer would be no as they are so big and heavy
3. On the BA website they allude to the fact that they have a limited number of car seats avilable on board, but that these are infant car seats for up to 2 year olds. As our son is light (although tall) - would this be an acceptable alternative?

Help! Need to sort this before we get on board as opposed ot the advice from EC customer services which is that they can't commit to anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.