Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Traveling with an (almost) 7 year old to Peru

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with an (almost) 7 year old to Peru

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua mileage+, hertz gold, hhonors diamond *wood gold
Smile Traveling with an (almost) 7 year old to Peru

Hi to everyone. This is my first post on FlyerTalk. Next month, my husband and I will be traveling to Peru with my son for a 10 day trip to celebrate my 40th birthday. We got a great deal on LAX to LIM business class on Lan Chile and will be staying at some great hotels. I was just curious if any of you have traveled to Peru with a young child and what your experiences are. I'd really love if you have any recommendations for some sights/activities that a kid might enjoy. We will be in Lima for a couple of days for my husband to go surfing and will then be traveling to Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and Cusco before returning to Lima. Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by beachfamily
Hi to everyone. This is my first post on FlyerTalk. Next month, my husband and I will be traveling to Peru with my son for a 10 day trip to celebrate my 40th birthday. We got a great deal on LAX to LIM business class on Lan Chile and will be staying at some great hotels. I was just curious if any of you have traveled to Peru with a young child and what your experiences are. I'd really love if you have any recommendations for some sights/activities that a kid might enjoy. We will be in Lima for a couple of days for my husband to go surfing and will then be traveling to Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and Cusco before returning to Lima. Thanks for any help!
My Wife and I took our daughrter to Machu Picchu when she was 13mo. old. I recommend you just relax in your hotel the first day. The high altitude will give you a headache, dizziness, and can cause nausea. I really noticed the thin air as soon as we got off the plan and made the ever so slight climb up the boardind ramp to the terminal. By the second day we felt much better. Matte de Coca tea seemed to help with the headaches.
Going to Machu Picchu I recommend taking the first class, Hiram Bingham, train. The Vistadome is worse than a city bus. The bench seats face eachother and your knees are a few inches apart. It made for a very long trip. The restroom, at least what passed for one, on the Vistadome was a hole down to the tracks. We really wished we had spent the extra $40.00 and took the Hiram Bingham train.
In Lima you can go to the San Miguel Zoo, Dayntona Park (a large amusement park),the Museo de Oro(Gold Museum), which is more for adults, or to the Museo de la Nacin, Which has a replica of Machu Picchu inside.
Shopping in Mira Flores is also a nice way to pass time. I hope you really enjoy your trip. We will be going back again in March.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
we've taken our kids to peru several times - between 4 months and 9 years. Last time was 2004/05 christmas and new year when they were 8 and 9.
Admittedly we were mostly staying with family rather than hotels, but we had to keep them occupied.
Generally speaking Peruvians are very friendly to children, and your son should be fine - even better if he speaks a bit (a lot?) of spanish.

I agree with the previous poster about the museums in Lima, but like to add the National History musuem in Pueblo Libre. Also, take some time to wander around Lima (miraflores, barranco), eat an ice cream and just watch life go by.

Outside Lima there are two other things I'd recommend, although they are not quite on your itinerary. One is Paracas, a sea wild life reserve. It's about 4 hours drive south of Lima. Take a boat tour lasting about two hours to go to the island (you're not actually allowed to go on shore though) and watch the millions of birds, as well as sea lions, seals, dolphins, walrusses etc from pretty close. Our kids loved it. the boat trip seemed quite professionally organised, and everyone is made to wear life jackets. Just make sure you bring sun screen, a hat and water.

The other thing is to go to Nazca, and see the Nazca lines. Preferably from a little plane. This is not for people who get easily sick though - the Cessna we were on made moves that looked like aerobatics to me - only being used to 'normal' aircraft.

Whatever you decide to do, take it easy - don't try to do things in a rush and enjoy yourself.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua mileage+, hertz gold, hhonors diamond *wood gold
thanks and any info on altitude sickness

Thank you both for your replies and the tips on where to go. I am very much looking forward to our first trip to Peru next month. I have one more question. Did any of your children have any significant problems with altitude sickness? We have been to altitudes of about 8000 feet (Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite) with no problem and were actually doing hiking, etc.. while there. However, Cusco is more like 11,500 feet. I can live with mild headache, tiredness and I believe my son will be able to as well. However, I am little concerned that we, especially my son, could be more debilitated by it. I am doing what I can to reduce the risks as we are traveling down to Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu before staying in Cusco. We are also staying at the Monasterio which has the oxygenated rooms if needed. Any advice on avoiding or dealing with altitude sickness would be appreciated.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:14 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
We haven't taken our kids to MP or Cuzco yet - will do next trip in 2007, and they are already looking forward to it.

I went to MP in 1992 (very quiet at the time, because there were no tourists in Peru because of the Shining Path problem at the time - don't worry, that's completely under control now). The biggest issue is of course that you fly into Cuzco from Lima - ie you go from sealevel to quite high in one hour.

I suppose the general advice would apply - take it easy in the beginning. Have a cup of "tea" if you like (mate in Spanish) - the kind of tea the US government gets paranoid about. it's just a leaf infusion, and nothing to do with banned substances - it's more like camomile tea. But it does calm most people down, and it is part of the authentic experience.

Enjoy
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, Delta
My family went to Peru and Bolivia in April. My daughters were 8 and 10 years old. Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu - it doesn't matter, if you're susceptible to altitude, you're going to feel it. Definitely, take it slow in the beginning. We didn't. We started hiking above Pisac within two hours of landing in Cusco. Fortunately (I guess), I was the only one of the four of us that felt the effects. Coca tea is key. Also, ask the hotel for Saroche pills. I only needed them once, but I was in serious pain that first afternoon. By the next day, we were all climbing around Machu Picchu with no problem. DO try to stay overnight in Aguas Calientes so you get a second day to knock around Machu Picchu. Try to catch the first bus up and climb Huana Picchu. Leave your child and spouse behind if you choose to climb Hauna Picchu unless you completely trust everyone's footing. If you're staying in Aguas Calientes at the Machu Picchu Pueblo, be sure to get a room without the musty air. You'll see. The hotel grounds have a famous Spectacled Bear that's been featured on Animal Planet (Jeff Corwin). Have lots of soup! It's awesome at that hotel and everywhere else we had it. You are going to love the Monasterio. Get used to monks singing.
Ollytantambo looked like a neat town in the Sacred Valley that I regret we didn't have time to explore.
Back to the altitude, the feeling never totally went away until you get back to lower elevation. You get mostly used to it and it won't ruin the trip.
As far as the train from Cusco goes, we didn't take it. We had a driver and guide bring us to the Sacred Valley. Great views. No complaints! The train ride from Ollytantambo to Aguas Calientes seemed long enough. Enjoy.

Last edited by naharragt; Jan 27, 2006 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:04 am

Have your child's pediatrician write an RX for an antibiotic and fill it before you leave. Better safe than sorry. (This applies to adults also) I always travel with Cipro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.