Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E75K, Fairmont Platimum

My wife, one-year-old and I are planning a trip and would like to upgrade our YYZ-YVR flight. We are planning to let the little gaffer sit on our laps in J on the A333. AC told me there are no issues with young ones traveling in J - same rules apply as in Y. I'm wondering If anyone has experience with a situation similar to this.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
We do this all the time and our two little LondonElites quite enjoy the extra legroom. See if you can get window and aisle rather than the middle as you can then block off the escape route and let them play on the floor in front of you. If you want a skycot they can hook on up in the first row, but you may not need one if you're happy to let your son or daugther sleep on the floor.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
It shouldnt be a problem. However, for international routes, I think they charge a small fee for children under 2. Friends of mine travel to Germany/Holland twice a year in J and always bring the little one with them. Im pretty sure they paid a fee for the last trip they did.

Perhaps LondonElite can help you with this.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:31 pm

Wow thats scary! LondonElite, are you watching me? I was still writing my post while you sent yours.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
We do this all the time and our two little LondonElites quite enjoy the extra legroom. See if you can get window and aisle rather than the middle as you can then block off the escape route and let them play on the floor in front of you. If you want a skycot they can hook on up in the first row, but you may not need one if you're happy to let your son or daugther sleep on the floor.

Totally agree with London Elite, my 2 year old has been in J since she was two weeks old. Get the window and aisle to block escape!!! An aside, BA wouldn't let her sleep on the floor during the flight citing safety so I had to use the skycot thing.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:41 pm
YXE

Programs: AC-Elite
We used the cot for our 7 month old and it worked out really well. My wife was worried what the other customers would think about the the crying baby but nobody seemed to mind at all. We have taken him in both business and executive 1st. It will be hard to go to the back with him in the future.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:41 pm

Last summer when traveling to LHR on a 767 with 2-2-1 configuration my 3 year old decided that he wanted the single seat because he wanted to look out the window. The FA refused to let him sit alone, even though we were in the middle row next to him.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:31 pm

My children have flown in J several times a year since they were born. Generally no issues apart from the occasional pompous frequent flyer that objects to babies crying etc. FAs are generally (with a few exceptions) good about it. My kids prefer BA and NW front cabin to AC (makes me proud) but at age 1, I don't think this will be an issue for you

Enjoy it now as Aeroplan's 2D reward seats per flight / upgrade policies make it difficult to get to get a family upfront once they pass the age of 2.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
Generally no issues apart from the occasional pompous frequent flyer that objects to babies crying etc.
Wait a minute! You bring a crying baby on board and turn an otherwise pleasant, restful and relaxing flight for 36 other J passengers into 8 hours of torturous misery and you think it's "pompous" when someone objects?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:53 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by After Burner
Wait a minute! You bring a crying baby on board and turn an otherwise pleasant, restful and relaxing flight for 36 other J passengers into 8 hours of torturous misery and you think it's "pompous" when someone objects?
I have never heard an infant cry for eight hours. On the other hand, I have had the misfortune to sit near other adult passengers in J who carry on loud and tedious conversations with colleagues that have lasted far longer than the brief mewling of a baby. Last Sunday evening I sat two seats away from an adult in J who had his IFE turned up so loudly that I got out my earplugs. I'm not so sure that being surrounded by other adults will ensure that you will have a "pleasant, restful and relaxing flight."
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Waaa-waaaa After Burner!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:31 pm

Yes. Babies (crying or not) are a joy.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. ^ ^

Even though it's not an international flight, the 5+ hrs to YVR from YYZ would warrant a skycot for the little one. I'll give it a go and report back how things went.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:41 pm

Our little guy (he's now 7) got his first flight -- in J -- from GUA to IAH -- less than 24 hours after he came into our lives. Continental Airlines (then AC's partner) had royally screwed up with a flight delay, overbooking, and lost luggage -- four three days -- but they made up to us with a couple hundred dollars in US cash, and an upgrade in J to IAH.

Good thing -- since we didn't know the foggiest about things like changing diapers. Shortly after takeoff, it was time to 'go'. Fortunately the FA in J took things in hand, helping out with the messy, but important duties. It was our first ever use of the front cabin. Since joining FT, virtually all our family vacations now commence and end in the front cabin.

In other words, I think you can be confident that your decision to fly up front with the baby will prove wise, and the trip for the entire family will be much more enjoyable than it would be in Y.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Our 2 yr 9mos daughter has travelled lots in J and F. 3 trips to NZ, about to do a 4th, 2 to Maui, 1 to London, more than I care to remember to the Maritimes. She has yet to see a Y seat on a plane that has offers more than Y. She is in for a rude awakening. As others have mentioned, put the midget in the window seat, confines them nicely.
I am very sensitive to the other passengers, if and when she cries I pick her up and take her for a walk to settle her. Any of us who have travelled with kids will not be sneering at you, or judging you. I used to be a "sneerer", amazing what kids of your own can do to change one's attitude.

Last edited by taupo; Mar 2, 2005 at 8:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.