Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:49 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by NewToCanada
Yeah, I hear they used to complain about crying, seasick babies for the whole 8-day trip.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
Infants don't pay a fare.
They do on international flights...
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
I think infants pay 10% of the Adult J/C class fare when sitting up front in the lap of the adult.
If you buy a seat for the infant, I believe the infant fare is 75% of the adul fare.

Last edited by wali; Feb 18, 2006 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: AP (peon level)
No crying children please, we're much too important up here.

Originally Posted by cur
Infants don't pay a fare.

My rule of thumb: if your kid cannot control its crying, it shouldn't be in J. Taking an infant into J is like taking a toddler with ADD into an first class lounge.
Why not? Think about what you are paying for. A wider seat. Food. Some electronic amenities. First on the plane. First off the plane. Priority baggage handling.

Don't ever recall AC or any other airline promising a silent peaceful zen-like experience. If a child is crying why send them to the back. Are they less likely to cry in the back? Are economy passengers more tolerant than executive class passengers? "Let's piss off the economy passengers, they are second class citizens anyway!"

No one understands better than a parent that a crying child can keep you awake or distracted. Why not think about them? They are most likely enjoying the flight even less than you.

Last edited by Ford Prefect; Feb 18, 2006 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:28 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
Why not? Think about what you are paying for. A wider seat. Food. Some electronic amenities. First on the plane. First off the plane. Priority baggage handling.

Don't ever recall AC or any other airline promising a silent peaceful zen-like experience. If a child is crying why send them to the back. Are they less likely to cry in the back? Are economy passengers more tolerant than executive class passengers? "Let's piss off the ecnonomy passengers, they are second class citizens anyway!"

No one understands that better than a parent that a crying child can keep you awake or distracted. Why not think about them? They are most likely enjoying the flight even less than you.
Just because it isn't allowed doesn't mean it isn't frowned upon and considered rude.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:21 pm

Unsure

Originally Posted by cur
Just because it isn't allowed doesn't mean it isn't frowned upon and considered rude.

Didn't understand the above reference. What isn't allowed? What is rude?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:10 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by cur
Let me correct.
Just because it IS allowed and NOT prohibitied doesn't mean it (taking infants that scream at the top of their lungs) isn't frowned upon and considered rude.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:41 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cur
Let me correct.
Just because it IS allowed and NOT prohibitied doesn't mean it (taking infants that scream at the top of their lungs) isn't frowned upon and considered rude.

It's early over the pond and I still don't follow what you are saying here.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halfmileman
My wife, one-year-old and I are planning a trip and would like to upgrade our YYZ-YVR flight. We are planning to let the little gaffer sit on our laps in J on the A333. AC told me there are no issues with young ones traveling in J - same rules apply as in Y. I'm wondering If anyone has experience with a situation similar to this.
I traveled on SQ J back in November from YVR and a couple traveling with their one year old was among the passengers inside the raffles cabin. Child slept almost throughout the flight without making any noises.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:37 am

Not rude at all

Originally Posted by cur
Let me correct.
I wouldn't describe this as rude behaviour. Infants cry. That's how they communicate. You can't say "Stop crying!" and expect them to cooperate. Rudeness is a callous disregard for the feelings and sensitivities of others. Rest assured the parents of a crying child aren't enjoying the experience either. It's more likely they are the recipients of rude remarks from fellow passengers.

I would agree that it would be bothersome if you are trying to sleep. Likely the little tyke is having a worse time that anyone. I would try to be understanding in such a situation.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can give a report on travelling with "babies" in a couple weeks.Our young adult children are joining mom and dad on a Caribbean holiday.Mrs.acysb87 still considers them her "babies"
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Ouch...my diamond shoes are too tight...

It is a privilege every time I get to fly up front, on any airline. As such, I take nothing for granted, like knowing the entire flight will be peaceful, or that we won't hit turbulence. When my wife and I fly J to Barbados with our son (he was 7 months the 1st time, 19 months the 2nd)we take every measure possible to ensure he doesn't bother anyone. But he will ocasionally cry or squeal or shout or jump up and down...he's a toddler. What we can control, we try our best to, so please lighten up on the stressed out parents traveling with children! By the way, for those about to travel with kids that can walk - even if under the 2-year-old limit for required seat purchase - buy him or her a seat! We flew YUL-LAX-YUL when our son was 21 months, but incredibly mobile and talkative, and instead of 2 in J, we took three across in cattle class, just so we could lock up an entire row, a much better strategy in my opinion. It also eliminates the glares from silverbacks that dislike anyone interrupting cocktail hour!
Originally Posted by cur
Let me correct.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Some parents travelling with small children now bring along portable DVD players, and play Barney or Thomas The Tank Engine at normal volume, with running commentary by Dad and group singalongs. What about that sort of thing - ok or not?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by antirealist
Some parents travelling with small children now bring along portable DVD players, and play Barney or Thomas The Tank Engine at normal volume, with running commentary by Dad and group singalongs. What about that sort of thing - ok or not?
Thomas the Tank Engine is ok, but I'd draw the line at Barney.

Seriously, though, you make a good point. I don't mind the sound of children, but I'd rather not listen to their entertainment.

(Slightly OT, I took the ferry from North Sydney to Newfoundland one time years ago and was dismayed to find that the family sitting oppposite us planned to fill their time by singing hymns together. My wife and I moved to another part of the ship.)
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
I took the ferry from North Sydney to Newfoundland one time years ago and was dismayed to find that the family sitting oppposite us planned to fill their time by singing hymns together.
"For Those In Peril On The Sea"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.