Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
I personally like to see the bright blue sky out there, and prefer to read with natural light rather than those tiny overhead beams. If you want the shade closed, request a window seat...
Me too. I spend most of my working day in a darkened room, and I want as much sun as I can get, especially when crossing time zones.

I expect this window shade business to become an even bigger issue when seatback AVOD is more widespread.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by antirealist
I expect this window shade business to become an even bigger issue when seatback AVOD is more widespread.
The window shade business may, to some extent, be resolved by centrally-controlled window dimming on 787's.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...51215d_nr.html
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
Originally Posted by ACORD
Personally I think infants should be sealed-off in a sound-proofed area at the back of the aircraft as far away from the front cabin as possible.

Pompous or not -- I make no apologies for getting annoyed at parents who let their precious spogs squeel their heads off during a long flight. I also get annoyed at loud snorers, loud talkers and folks who keep their window shades open.

I believe some airlines do ban infants from their "F Cabin"
Do you have children?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have rarely had any problems with small children in J. The UM sitting next to me recently was quiet, played with his laptop, and was very polite. Don't think this is a problem at all. Someone mentioned airlines banning small children from F- I am not aware of this. Anyone know of an airline who does this?
The WORST passengers I have had sitting next to me are all adults who drink too much and bug the FAs constantly for no good reason.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
I personally like to see the bright blue sky out there, and prefer to read with natural light rather than those tiny overhead beams. If you want the shade closed, request a window seat...
exactly, you sit at the window, you are thus in control of the window shade.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:00 pm

My girls are now 8 and 5, but have been flying trans-atlantic and transcon since they were 3 months old.

In many ways, flying in J (on D rewards in my case) is easier with kids than in cattle class. You have the lounge before the flight, so they tend to be calmer when they get on the plane and there is more space in J so you get less of the "hey, she's hanging over my seat" type of stuff. Our last trip to the UK (summer 2004) was on a 333 and the AVOD was a big hit. Our trip this year will be on a BA 777 (and a 747 on the return) in J, so the little rug rats will be getting spoiled again.

Before I had kids I used to tut-tut when kids got a bit loud etc. I couldn't distinguish very well between kids who were genuinely distressed (pressure changes etc) and those whose parents weren't making enough of an attempt to entertain them. Now, after 8 years of hands-on experience, if I see parents making a good attempt to control little Johnny then I will cut them a little slack. I have very little time for parents who let their kids treat the cabin (whether Y or J) as their rec (or should I say "wreck") room. If you are travelling with kids (particularly of the toddler variety) it is incumbent upon you to bring sufficient kiddie food and distractions to keep the little monsters entertained (as best as that can be accomplished).

I would also have to agree with other posters that, far and away, the people who are the biggest pains in the a$$ on a plane tend to be 42, not 2, but whose egos haven't yet caught up with their chronological age.....

Last edited by Hogtowner; Feb 16, 2006 at 1:09 pm
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Wink

I would like the opportunity in this thread, to remind everyone that you all were once children and babies. Thus you can pretty much relate if one baby cries or a child cries. Either buy earplugs or buy pacifiers or soothe them with enteraintment, problem solved.

I do not think it is an excuse for anyone on a plane to complain about a crying baby, you can't really ascertain what caused the baby to cry let alone see if the parent does anything to quieten the baby. Manners are of great importance when flying.

Sanosuke!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sanosuke
I do not think it is an excuse for anyone on a plane to complain about a crying baby, you can't really ascertain what caused the baby to cry let alone see if the parent does anything to quieten the baby.
Sanosuke!
Sure you can. I've seen parents just let their babies cry. They don't pick them up, they don't try and soothe them etc. Like I said, most people when they see parents at least *trying* to calm a baby down will cut them a lot of slack. I don't like it, and I'm sure other people feel the same way, when the parents basically don't lift a finger to try and control Johnny Toddler. In my experience (no where near as extensive as most FTers here) this is not the usual occurance, but when it does happen it is d@mned annoying!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
exactly, you sit at the window, you are thus in control of the window shade.
By that logic (and to others here who flatly state something similar), what kind of access to the aisle do you expect from your seat-mate?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: AP (peon level)
OK you are pompous

Originally Posted by ACORD
Personally I think infants should be sealed-off in a sound-proofed area at the back of the aircraft as far away from the front cabin as possible.

Pompous or not -- I make no apologies for getting annoyed at parents who let their precious spogs squeel their heads off during a long flight. I also get annoyed at loud snorers, loud talkers and folks who keep their window shades open.

I believe some airlines do ban infants from their "F Cabin"

You probably wouldn't think the same way if you had small children yourself. Oh what a better world it would be if we didn't have to listen to children. We could all sigh, relax, lean back and listen to whiny business class flyers throwing their temper tantrums. If you don't want to listen to a child who is crying (likely from pain in their ears from pressure changes or the fact that their schedule is off) why don't YOU move back into cattle class? Consider this. You are one passenger paying full fare. They are two passengers paying full fare. Who makes AC more money?

Last edited by Ford Prefect; Feb 18, 2006 at 9:26 am Reason: spelling errors
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
You probably wouldn't think the same way if you had small childred yourself. Oh what a better world it would be if we didn't have to listen to children. We could all sigh, relax, lean back and listen to whiny business class flyers throwing their temper tantrums. If you don't want to listen to a child who is crying (likely from pain in their ears from pressure changes or the fact that their schedule is off) why don't YOU move back into cattle class? Consider this. You are one passenger paying full fare. They are two passengers paying full fare. Who makes AC more money?
I totally agree with you!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:35 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
You probably wouldn't think the same way if you had small childred yourself. Oh what a better world it would be if we didn't have to listen to children. We could all sigh, relax, lean back and listen to whiny business class flyers throwing their temper tantrums. If you don't want to listen to a child who is crying (likely from pain in their ears from pressure changes or the fact that their schedule is off) why don't YOU move back into cattle class? Consider this. You are one passenger paying full fare. They are two passengers paying full fare. Who makes AC more money?
Hey! I said I get annoyed with this stuff -- I did NOT say I created a fuss about it -- I have to sit an suffer in silence like most civilized people. There is no way around the fact that infants on planes do create a disturbance sometimes and nobody is HAPPY to be woken up by a squealing kiddie. That was my point.

What I DO find obnoxious are self-absorbed parents with their little princes and princesses *daring* other passengers to complain when they run amok and, as you seem to believe, feel that it is their god-given right to make life a misery for others just because they have their kid with them when flying. If a parent is at least trying to keep the infant quiet I have no problem.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:24 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Infants don't pay a fare.

My rule of thumb: if your kid cannot control its crying, it shouldn't be in J. Taking an infant into J is like taking a toddler with ADD into an first class lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sanosuke
I would like the opportunity in this thread, to remind everyone that you all were once children and babies....

For some of our "senior" posters,did they even have planes in those days?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
For some of our "senior" posters,did they even have planes in those days?
Yeah, I hear they used to complain about crying, seasick babies for the whole 8-day trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.