Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have experience traveling with small children in J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by halfmileman
Amen to that! I have a whole new perspective on the world.

Our little one has experience flying in Y and made it from the Pacific to the Atlantic by 6 mos. But Ontario's issuing of birth certificates is so slow that we have not yet been able to take him out of the country because he doesn't have it yet!! Lousy!!
You can go down to City Hall and get a travel letter which you can then use to apply for a passport. Depending which passport office is closer for you it might be more convenient to get the travel letter at the Eglinton and Keele city office.

Alternatively, you can always write a letter to your local MP to expedite the birth certificate process.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Lornag
Taupo--Where did you get the extra battery for the polaroid? And was it the higher or lower end one at costco?

thanks
I did a search under polaroid, was directed to a third party distributer. From memory it was $70.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:16 pm

I've flown J at least 15 times with both infants and toddlers in tow. Never been a problem, flight attendants have been very nice, got treated royally every time.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC SE
Does anyone know if ac still offers skycots in j?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fly-yul

Thanks in advance
Depends on the a/c, I would check with AC Res, or better still check the seating thread above. The res agents do not always have accurate information in front of them. They have tried to tell me several times that the 7back6breaker7 has sky cots in the front right, they don't, at least the ones we have been on, don't have them.

Your infant needs to be small, as in tiny to fit in the skycot. What age is your child? A one year old won't fit in an AC skycot, NZ yes, AC no.
We now buy another seat for a child beyond skycot size, lap childs are not fun at all.

If you post your route and a/c type here, I am sure that Andrew from AC will respond with the accurate information you require.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: None. I'm cured.
Originally Posted by fly-yul

Thanks in advance
All international AC flights are meant to have bassinettes on board. Not so for domestic flights.

Be aware that AC bassinettes are small. Some of the ex-CP metal still have the older slightly larger grey ones -but all are really meant for infants.

If your child is able to sit up on its own, the crew may deny the use.

At best, temporary relief for all involved. Without serious sedatives, a seat for the child is the best option.

MCM.
(sudden expert in these matters)
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Personally I think infants should be sealed-off in a sound-proofed area at the back of the aircraft as far away from the front cabin as possible.

Pompous or not -- I make no apologies for getting annoyed at parents who let their precious spogs squeel their heads off during a long flight. I also get annoyed at loud snorers, loud talkers and folks who keep their window shades open.

I believe some airlines do ban infants from their "F Cabin"
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by ACORD
Personally I think infants should be sealed-off in a sound-proofed area at the back of the aircraft as far away from the front cabin as possible.

Pompous or not -- I make no apologies for getting annoyed at parents who let their precious spogs squeel their heads off during a long flight. I also get annoyed at loud snorers, loud talkers and folks who keep their window shades open.

I believe some airlines do ban infants from their "F Cabin"
I must admit babies can be annoying when crying, especially because they always seem to be seated at the front of the Y cabin, and on some a/c like the 763, there is very little seperation between the back of J and the front of Y, it's even worse on the 767 or the 32X's. But if you must travel with kids, the front of Y is the best place for them.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Agree 100% with this one!

I also get annoyed at loud snorers, loud talkers and folks who keep their window shades open.
Here we part company. I am one of those who insists on keeping the
shades open. I hate it when the FA "requests" those seated by the windows
to lower the shades, and even more when they walk down the aisles
and close them themselves. I am one of those who believe that on long-
hauls crossing 10, 12, or 14 time-zones, the best way to avoid jet-lag
is to keep ones time by the sun. My last flight from NRT-YYZ I had to
put a sticky on the window marked " PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE" after 3
attempts by FA to close the shade!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I'm indifferent on the windows being closed on overnight flights. I do hate being told to close my window by the FA, I usually end up opening it up later on if I want to look outside, and the bright light that emits from the window being open often annoys a few people, but I believe that it is ur right to look out the window when you want to. Afterall you selected a window seat, and if not for the window it is probably the worst J seat, as you have to climb over someone to get out.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:55 am

I'd say the same thing for many FFs - booze swilling, egotistical, loudmouths that many of them are.

I, for one, love having kids sitting in the front cabin - be they mine or anyone elses. A little reality amongst the self-important, over inflated egos.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
I'd say the same thing for many FFs - booze swilling, egotistical, loudmouths that many of them are.
^ ^ ^ I'd add self-absorbed.

I've been flying for close to 40 years, both back and front cabin, and have rarely been even remotely disturbed by children. Adults, on the other hand ...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Thanks for all the comments.

My son is 5 weeks old so he is relatively small. Reservations had told me that AC had removed all skycots and that they are not longer offered. It worked out ok as our flight in J yesterday on a 762 was half full so the incharge came over to tell us that she would not mind if I placed my car seat on the seat next to me and put the little guy in it. Mrs. Fly-yul sat next to him and I sat across the aisle. Frankly, traveling with my son I received consistently excellent and polite service. The only issue was having to run the gauntlet to the back of the plane to change him. Everyone wanted to touch him and make chitchat. Shouldnt they have a change table in every bathroom?

I was not looking in to re-open the debate on children in J or Y or in the lounge etc. I respect that sometimes having a child next to you is not ideal. I would only point out a difference between a baby crying because their ears hurt from the change in pressure versus a toddler crawling all over the place and kicking the seat in front of them. Having proper parental supervision can stop one. The other cant. I personally feel that all travelers (with children or not) should be aware of those around them. On a plane, you are stuck in a small space with others for an extended period of time. Kind of like being trapped in an elevator. Rude or loud behavior should be avoided - like the adult boor seated behind us who kept yelling at his wife during the flight and at one point proceeded to stick his foot on the arm rest of my sons seat placing his shoe about 6 inches from my sons face.

All that said, since parents have to travel and since FedEx won't accept small humans for overnight, there is little chance of children disappearing from aircraft. Besides, my kid is great - its all the other kids that are trouble.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: AC Elite
So you're the guy who complains

I also get annoyed at folks who keep their window shades open.
I personally like to see the bright blue sky out there, and prefer to read with natural light rather than those tiny overhead beams. If you want the shade closed, request a window seat...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
Originally Posted by NordsFan
Works for me too; I find this very soothing, although I've never had the pleasure on an airplane.
You don't know what you're missing

DF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.