Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Warning - Do Not Fly Alitalia With Small Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - Do Not Fly Alitalia With Small Children

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:30 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
GUWonder, that signature of yours looks awfully out-of-place at the bottom of that quote from AZ!
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
GUWonder, that signature of yours looks awfully out-of-place at the bottom of that quote from AZ!
However, consistency and airlines don't always go hand in hand. And the inconsistency is a game that can be fun to witness, even if only sometimes fun to experience.

If the restrictions/inconveniences in place are due to Italian-government mandates, then AZ's approach is somewhat more understandable even if it comes across as rather bizarre to me. That said, I'm left wondering if the US airlines and other international carriers departing from Italy -- to wherever they are going -- are held to the same standard. If not, why not?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:10 pm

Airplanes in the air, like ships at sea, operate under the rules and regulations of their "flag" country. Imagine if you had to have maintainance logs (for example) which comply with differing standards in each country where you wanted to land.

This is why many ships are flagged in Panama or Liberia or whatever to take advantage of the lax regulations. Doesn't work for airplanes though since most only fly to/from their home country and the Panama-Liberia market isn't so big If the aviation regulations of a country aren't up to some minimum standard, their planes may be refused landing in other countries.

Michael
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WhoME
Airplanes in the air, like ships at sea, operate under the rules and regulations of their "flag" country. Imagine if you had to have maintainance logs (for example) which comply with differing standards in each country where you wanted to land.

This is why many ships are flagged in Panama or Liberia or whatever to take advantage of the lax regulations. Doesn't work for airplanes though since most only fly to/from their home country and the Panama-Liberia market isn't so big If the aviation regulations of a country aren't up to some minimum standard, their planes may be refused landing in other countries.

Michael
When it comes to other travel-related regulations (e.g., security, immigration/customs), the carrier may have to operate in compliance with such regulations of the country being flown to .... even in advance of getting there. But I think that's covered in what you said above too.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:11 am

It's mostly at the margins, like infant seats, where the regulations differ significantly, at least in EU/US/OZ/NZ/etc. Customs and immigration, and airport security to a lesser extent, are a whole different subject and not under the control of the civil aviation authorities.

Michael
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I think some of us are being a little too hard on Alitalia. Whether we agree with the governmental rules imposed on the Italian airlines or not, Alitalia has to abide by them. Therefore, you cannot be angry at Alitalia for the regulations of their governmental authority. As for the person that stated the FAA does not have any regulations about car seats, Wrong! They only allow FAA approved car seats. BCNU
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:08 pm

In Alitalia's defense they are the only Airline I have ever seen that will reserve a bulkhead for a non-elite months in advance for a family traveling with an infant in arms so that the child can use a bassinet.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:32 am

While AZ can be a mess - Italians are great with kids of all ages and very accomodating to parents.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the full policy as found here:
Alitalia Infant Procedures

AZ-Coded, AZ-Operated Flights
Due to safety regulations set forth by E.N.A.C. (Ente Nazionale per L’Aviazione Civile, The Italian Authority equivalent to the United States FAA), Alitalia does not permit children under two years of age to occupy her/his own seat. The infant must travel while seated on an accompanying adult’s lap. A seatbelt extension is provided.

Alitalia does not allow the use of infant car seats on board its aircraft. The use of car seats, while being approved by the U.S. FAA, has not yet been approved by certain foreign government entities, including E.N.A.C.

AZ-Coded, other carrier-operated Flights
• The infant seat rule of the operating carrier supersedes the Alitalia general rule. As such, the booking procedure for the infant required by that other carrier must be adhered to.
• Our SkyTeam partners currently allow a seat to be purchased for an infant (traveling in a car seat) for the applicable child’s fare.
• For SkyTeam (AF, AM, DL, KE, OK) Partner-operated, AZ-coded flights, an OSIAZ message must be added, advising the infant’s name as it appears on its passport, and date of birth (3OSIAZ 1INF 1NAME/NAME. DOB 08/15/04). This should generate the proper messages to all carriers involved in the booking.

AZ-Operated, other carrier-coded Flights
• Alitalia rules regarding infant-in-seat supersede the other carriers’ rules. If a seat is erroneously purchased for an infant, the infant will not be allowed its own seat, and an infant fare (10% of the applicable fare) ticket will have to be purchased at check-in. The passenger will have to inquire about a refund (for the child’s fare purchased) with the issuing agency.

Policy for Handling Strollers/Car Seats at Check-in
• AZ Check-In The passenger traveling with an infant will be allowed to have a stroller or car seat to hold the infant until actual flight boarding. At that point, the stroller/car seat will be tagged and checked in at the gate.
• Other Carrier Check-In The passenger traveling with an infant will be allowed to have a stroller for the infant until actual flight boarding. At that point, the stroller will be tagged and checked in at the gate. Only a car seat will be allowed on the aircraft.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:39 pm

Having just completed Madrid Milan Chicago I have to completely disagree with the OP heading that Alitalia is child unfriendly. We were booked into standard seats and when a flight attendant realized we had a 7 month old he made sure a bullkhead with bassanet was made available for us even if it meant moving passengers form the bulkhead.

I think the point of this post is that Alitalia has several rules different from the US mainly because of their laws. I don't like their no dvd/cd players rule and their no infants in a car seat on takeoff rule but I do like their reservations and flight staff attitudes towards children, their use of special belts rather than just holding infants in arms, and their advance reservation of bulkheads.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:11 pm

Ok that comment about Italians being kid friendly - OK, whatever! But it's OK for them to fly through the air with some turbulence. I am sorry - but I just canceled my reward seats flying ORD to Milan. My 2 year will be properly secured.

And as for the comment that DL was supposed to notify their clients of the AZ rule - nope! Didn't happen. And when I called back - the rep had no idea!

Good luck to all with kids on AZ
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:17 pm

Just wanted to make sure people were aware that this thread is out of date.
Alitalia's new policy: http://www.alitaliaagent.com/news-ar...cfm#infantseat

INFANT OCCUPYING A SEAT

Alitalia is introducing a new policy that will allow an infant to occupy a seat.

Starting August 06, 2012, reservations can be made permitting an infant to occupy a seat on board an AZ aircraft. Reservations are subject to a specific procedure.
The procedure has been endorsed by ENAC (Ente Nazionale per l’Aviazione Civile), and will be incorporated in the General Basic Manual, as of July 30, 2012.
Clients that want to purchase a seat for an infant, must use an approved car seat that conforms to specific requirements.
Infants occupying a seat will be permitted only on AZ operating flights (not permitted on other AZ affiliates: XM-Alitalia Express, VE-Volare C.A.I.) A.Gori’s team is coordinating the request for authorization to include airlines belonging to “Gruppo AZ.”
Only one infant per adult is permitted, even if the infant is occupying seat. In other words, one adult cannot travel with an infant on lap, and another infant occupying a seat.
The car seat must fit between the armrest of aircraft seats. (42cm / 16.5 inches).
The adult passenger is responsible for the proper anchoring of the car seat according to manufacture instructions (e.g. positioning gears to correct settings: FWD forward facing; RWD rear facing).
In case aircraft seat is equipped with an “airbag” seat belt, an “extension belt” will be used in order to implement the required system “disconnect”.
Reservations can be made only by the Alitalia Customer Center, Special Procedures Department. Following are phone numbers:
Calling from Italy: 06 65640
Calling from the US: 800 223 5730
Travel agents are not yet able to book infant occupying a seat via their GDSs. For assistance making such reservations, they should contact call center and select prompt for special procedures.
In order to confirm a seat the infant will be booked as a child (CHLD).
The airfare charged for the infant occupying a seat will be equal to 75% of the applicable adult fare. Infant ticket will be annotated with ticket designator CH25.
The reservation will include the appropriate SSR CHLD field with the date of birth. (4/CHLD-AZHK1/07AUG11-N1)
The reservation will include an OSI field labeled CARS. ARCO input will follow, shortly.
AZ Customer Center will pre-assign a window seat for infant, as well as adjacent seat for accompanying adult. Infant occupying a seat cannot be in the emergency exit row, or the row before, or the row after.
The baggage allowance will be that of CHLD.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by pdxsteeler
Just wanted to make sure people were aware that this thread is out of date.
Yes, I think most people might logically assume that information provided in an eight year old thread may be a bit out-of-date.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Yes, I think most people might logically assume that information provided in an eight year old thread may be a bit out-of-date.
Yes, but now we have an update and I learned something. I am curious if the CARES harness is now allowed on AZ. Anyone know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.