Wiki Posts
Search

Generation X? Huh?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Generation X? Huh?

Can someone explain to me the tag line of this forum:

When traveling with children we become the babysitters, nannies and general tour guides for Generation X and more. Here's where we all learn that life on the road with children is even more complicated than the TV show about The Osbournes.

As a 34-year old member of GenX, I'm not sure how this statement is relevant to learning about travelling with children.

Thanks in advance,
lux
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:41 pm

The meaning of the term "Generation X" has been diluted--it's commonly used to describe anyone born after the Baby Boomers or youth culture in general. The last true Gen Xers were supposedly born around 1980, but I rarely hear "Generation Y" or "Millenials" used to describe those born later.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Granted that "GenX" as a pop-cultural referent is no longer as specific as it once was, or perhaps should be (except to marketers, who have already written off GenX in favor of Boomers and Boomer children, known variously as GenY, millenials, GapKidz, or the Pepsi Generation -- in any case, one of the most marketable groups ever, next to their parents).

Even so, the tag line for this forum makes absolutely no sense. Who do I write to to suggest a change?

lux
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:25 am

Programs: AC Elite
It was a great book by Douglas Coupland...
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:40 am
Original Poster

For those who don't know what GenX is, here's a definition:

Generation X is defined as the group of people who were born between 1965 and 1976. [Note: alternatively defined as 1965-1981.] Generation X started as a term among advertising executives to serve as a code word for those 52 million young Americans they considered difficult to pin down as a target market. The term achieved mainstream notoriety in 1991 with the publication of Douglas Coupland's Generation X, a fictional book about three strangers who decide to distance themselves from society to get a better sense of who they are.

Now, will SOMEONE explain the use of "Generation X" in this forum's tag line? Because I still don't see how it makes any sense.

According to the generally accepted definition above, members of GenX are currently no younger than 26. Is this forum suggesting that travelling with 26-37 year-olds is the topic of this forum? If so, we need to rename it to Travel with Thirtysomethings....

lux

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.