Search

Booking Children's Fare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Booking Children's Fare

Family of four traveling internationally. Mom & dad on award tickets, children on paid tickets (to take advantage of children's discounted fares). Is there any way to book the children's tickets online (i.e. without a paid adult ticket)?
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:22 am

airline?
Old Oct 11, 2002, 6:18 am

Programs: skymiles,
In my experience, you have to call the airline directly after you have booked your award travel- be it online or on the phone.

With United and Delta domestic, I checked the availability for award travel, called the airline and told them the exact flights. Then, we added my daughters ticket to ours and paid for everything (taxes and ticket) all at once.

I am curious though, I had understood that international travel for children was only discounted 10% of a full fare and that lap children pay 10%. What airline are you flying and how old is your child?

Vanessa
Old Oct 11, 2002, 8:08 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've never been able to book a child's fare online on UA's website or on Travelocity or Expedia.

vsobotta: My son's 13 now so I haven't booked one in a while, but the discount had been 20 percent internationally for children 2-11 and that was available on discounted fares. (Never seen a children's fare on UA domestically.) However, with the new changes the children's discounts on US-based carriers seem to have gone the way of free standby - at least for the low fares. I notice the cheapest fares SFO-LHR on UA, CO and AA right now do not allow discounts for children. On UA, for example, no discount on the $340 fare, but there is a 20-percent discount on the $440 fare. British Air appears to still offer the 20 percent discount on their lowest fares. Virgin even offers a 25 percent discount. LH and Air France have no discounts on the lowest fares.
You are correct that it's usually 10 percent charge for lap children internationally.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 10-11-2002).]
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mvic:
airline?</font>
Using AA, DL or NW miles. In this instance I was looking at AA fares PHX-CUN.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 6:58 pm

Actually there is a way to book kids fares on UA - one at a time though. Here's what ya gotta do.

First, register your kids MP number on the ual.com site. Then click on "update profile" on their home page and fill out the information for your little tyke - especially the age part. Then when you're ready to book a fare, make sure you log into the Ual.com site using your kid's MP number. Then click on "create itinerary" and add in the number of people you want under the itinerary.

To take advantage of this myself, I usually set up two different itinerary's. One PNR has my 5 year old and me and the other PNR has my 3 year old and my wife. When the fare is computed is picks up the child fare applicable for my sons and adds it to the adult fare. Then I call united to make sure, especially if I have another airline involved.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.