Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Departure Child "Burn-Out"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2002, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pre-Departure Child "Burn-Out"

I was at IAD yesterday waiting in the boarding area for my flight to start loading, and off in the corner there was a parent who was what could only be described as, inciting their child to riot.

Running back and forth with them. Swinging them around. Hide and seek. That sort of thing.

It was mildly annoying and the parent could sense that I was concerned this kid would be one of those hyperdiapers that can ruin a nice quiet flight. So he approached me and commented, "Don't worry. I'm doing this to burn him out. He'll sleep like a baby once he's strapped in if we go through this now."

And indeed he did.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 1:25 pm

I didn't learn this effective technique until my second child.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I too found this to be an effective way to quiet my two kids when they were that age. I (or my wife) would typically chase them up and down the concourse for about 15-30 minutes and once on board out went the lights.

I suppose with some kids the opposite could happen but never with mine thankfully.
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:14 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

As I mentioned in another post, we are flying IAD-LAX-SYD next month. We planned our trip with a 36 hour layover in LAX so we may go down to Carlsbad and spend the entire day at Legoland before boarding our late evenng flight to SYD. A day a visual stimuli overload and amusement park rides will guarantee a kid that zonks out for 10 hours straight!

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited 09-29-2002).]
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:15 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited 09-29-2002).]
Old Oct 1, 2002, 8:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
And indeed he did.</font>
Note to file from PremEx: work 'em before the flight~

We just scrubbed a cruise with the wee little ones as they are too much in their "terrible 2's" mode. Though we are still hanging on to the hope of an x-mas midcon trip with 2 flight segments.

Thanks for the inspiration, PremEx!
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Doesn't work with my kids. Winding them up like that doesn't cause mine to "burn out", just gets their expectations set to continue when they get on the plane. My kids are very physical and active, my approach is to keep them calm and relaxed with books or game boys. It's about the same approach you'd do as an adult.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 10:23 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gregseattle:
We just scrubbed a cruise with the wee little ones as they are too much in their "terrible 2's" mode. Though we are still hanging on to the hope of an x-mas midcon trip with 2 flight segments.</font>
Don't hold your breath for them exiting the terrible 2's. We called it the TT's since it includes the "Terrible 3's" as well. My 10 year old still suffers from it every now and again (still called the TT's) .

Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have a colleague whose theory of child development is that there are really only two dependable stages: The Moist Stage and the Sullen Stage.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 6:14 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Hmm, I think I am almost past my moist stage and heading towards sullen
Old Oct 11, 2002, 6:22 am

Programs: skymiles,
I too practice "burn-out". I bring a small rubber ball and we find an empty corner and play catch while waiting to board. We are usually the last or close to last people on the plane. My husband boards a little before us so he can install the carseat.

So far, out of about 10 RT in her 2 short years, this practice has worked well. The least amount of time we spend on the plane= happier flying all around. But that's just my kid, it may spool others up and just make that flight harder.

Vanessa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.