Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Specifying 3 occupants massively hikes room price: necessary?

Old Apr 8, 22, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR

Trying to book a couple of nights at Movenpick hotel in Petra as a couple with a 6 year old child.

We don't need two rooms or even a big room but specifying three occupants hikes the prices I see online at the various sites from about $275/night to about $550-567 which seems crazy.

Is it okay to just book a standard room for two and bring the child along? Or will that be a problem?

What are people's experiences with this sort of thing at this kind of (or even better, at this specific) hotel?
Old Apr 8, 22, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
Trying to book a couple of nights at Movenpick hotel in Petra as a couple with a 6 year old child.

We don't need two rooms or even a big room but specifying three occupants hikes the prices I see online at the various sites from about $275/night to about $550-567 which seems crazy.

Is it okay to just book a standard room for two and bring the child along? Or will that be a problem?

What are people's experiences with this sort of thing at this kind of (or even better, at this specific) hotel?
Out of curiosity, I tried checking rates for 2 adults, then 2 adults + 6 yo. When I added the child, I got "Your child will be charged as an adult in this accomodation." - translation, no discount for a child in the room, no child rate.
Old Apr 8, 22, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Out of curiosity, I tried checking rates for 2 adults, then 2 adults + 6 yo. When I added the child, I got "Your child will be charged as an adult in this accomodation." - translation, no discount for a child in the room, no child rate.
Yes, but whats weird about the search is that it seems there are rooms with two beds and wed be happy to sleep in one with the child in the other. Adding the child specifically shows only a sort of suite they call a family room which has a huge double bed in an adjoining room and two singles/twins or maybe even doubles in the main room which isnt what we want

see these screenshots. Note that the rooms other than the connecting room actually say maximum occupancy 2 adults plus one child even if you search for only two adults. They do not appear at all in the search for 3 people total:

Last edited by salut0; Apr 8, 22 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 8, 22, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
Yes, but whats weird about the search is that it seems there are rooms with two beds and wed be happy to sleep in one with the child in the other. Adding the child specifically shows only a sort of suite they call a family room which has a huge double bed in an adjoining room and two singles/twins or maybe even doubles in the main room which isnt what we want

see these screenshots. Note that the rooms other than the connecting room actually say maximum occupancy 2 adults plus one child even if you search for only two adults. They do not appear at all in the search for 3 people total
My impression is that this hotel doesn't really cater to/welcome kids.

However, if you think the rooms are not pricing out correctly, i.e. that it is a software glitch, try emailing/faxing the hotel with screenshots and ask for clarification on room rates.
Old Apr 8, 22, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAGld1MM, DL SM, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis, ALL Slv
I have run into this from time to time traveling with my kids. Best to contact the hotel and ask them (I usually email).

Most of the time it is fine with a child that young - they will say book the room with 2 adults. Once in Dublin it was fine as long as we did not need a rollaway - it was ok as long as we used existing beds or even a hotel provided air mattress.

I have been booking several ALL hotels lately. Many are treating my 12 year old as an adult but certainly not my 5 year old (and even then not affecting price because I am booking those family connecting rooms).
Old Apr 29, 22, 11:21 am

I came here with the same question.
Traveling to europe this summer with my spouse and 18-month-old and the same problem happens with cash or points booking. It is very frustrating and I don't know the right answer. What I think I will do is make the reservation for one adult and one infant (and request a crib) to keep the room occupancy at 2. Are they going to really ask who this other adult is in the lobby and insist that she be added to the reservation?
If there are only 2 on the reservation and 3 people staying, it might impact things like breakfast benefits or whatever
Old May 23, 22, 1:47 am

You need to call and ask. Many online sites are not properly set up for this and calling/emailing often works. The less cookie cutter the hotel (i.e. independently owned and operated) the more flexible typically.

Search this Thread