Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Specifying 3 occupants massively hikes room price: necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Trying to book a couple of nights at Movenpick hotel in Petra as a couple with a 6 year old child.

We don't need two rooms or even a big room but specifying three occupants hikes the prices I see online at the various sites from about $275/night to about $550-567 which seems crazy.

Is it okay to just book a standard room for two and bring the child along? Or will that be a problem?

What are people's experiences with this sort of thing at this kind of (or even better, at this specific) hotel?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Trying to book a couple of nights at Movenpick hotel in Petra as a couple with a 6 year old child.

We don't need two rooms or even a big room but specifying three occupants hikes the prices I see online at the various sites from about $275/night to about $550-567 which seems crazy.

Is it okay to just book a standard room for two and bring the child along? Or will that be a problem?

What are people's experiences with this sort of thing at this kind of (or even better, at this specific) hotel?
Out of curiosity, I tried checking rates for 2 adults, then 2 adults + 6 yo. When I added the child, I got "Your child will be charged as an adult in this accomodation." - translation, no discount for a child in the room, no child rate.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Out of curiosity, I tried checking rates for 2 adults, then 2 adults + 6 yo. When I added the child, I got "Your child will be charged as an adult in this accomodation." - translation, no discount for a child in the room, no child rate.
Yes, but what’s weird about the search is that it seems there are rooms with two beds and we’d be happy to sleep in one with the child in the other. Adding the child specifically shows only a sort of suite they call a family room which has a huge double bed in an adjoining room and two singles/twins or maybe even doubles in the main room which isn’t what we want…

see these screenshots. Note that the rooms other than the connecting room actually say “maximum occupancy 2 adults plus one child” even if you search for only two adults. They do not appear at all in the search for 3 people total:

Last edited by salut0; Apr 8, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:05 pm

Yes, but what’s weird about the search is that it seems there are rooms with two beds and we’d be happy to sleep in one with the child in the other. Adding the child specifically shows only a sort of suite they call a family room which has a huge double bed in an adjoining room and two singles/twins or maybe even doubles in the main room which isn’t what we want…

see these screenshots. Note that the rooms other than the connecting room actually say “maximum occupancy 2 adults plus one child” even if you search for only two adults. They do not appear at all in the search for 3 people total
My impression is that this hotel doesn't really cater to/welcome kids.

However, if you think the rooms are not pricing out correctly, i.e. that it is a software glitch, try emailing/faxing the hotel with screenshots and ask for clarification on room rates.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I have run into this from time to time traveling with my kids. Best to contact the hotel and ask them (I usually email).

Most of the time it is fine with a child that young - they will say book the room with 2 adults. Once in Dublin it was fine as long as we did not need a rollaway - it was ok as long as we used existing beds or even a hotel provided air mattress.

I have been booking several ALL hotels lately. Many are treating my 12 year old as an adult but certainly not my 5 year old (and even then not affecting price because I am booking those family connecting rooms).
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:21 am

I came here with the same question.
Traveling to europe this summer with my spouse and 18-month-old and the same problem happens with cash or points booking. It is very frustrating and I don't know the right answer. What I think I will do is make the reservation for one adult and one infant (and request a crib) to keep the room occupancy at 2. Are they going to really ask who this other adult is in the lobby and insist that she be added to the reservation?
If there are only 2 on the reservation and 3 people staying, it might impact things like breakfast benefits or whatever
Old May 23, 2022, 1:47 am

You need to call and ask. Many online sites are not properly set up for this and calling/emailing often works. The less cookie cutter the hotel (i.e. independently owned and operated) the more flexible typically.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:33 pm

I find that adding a child/infant (in my case 11 month old) will always add an arrangement that includes an additional bed even though in his case we won’t need it and as you said will increase the price.
I normally just book two adults and take the portacot and let the reception know what happened which is never a problem.
noted your child is older but would assume booking a room with 2 double beds (2 adults staying in room) and excluding child would be fine
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:44 am

what’s weird about the search is that it seems there are rooms with two beds and we’d be happy to sleep in one with the child in the other.
As others have said, I'd try calling the hotel. But note that the rooms with two beds are two twin beds (hence the max occupancy of 2 people). Are you sure you're good to sleep two adults in a twin bed? I've seen it done, but mostly in college.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
i share your frustration, especially for many hotels in Europe where beds are often single or twin. Sharing a twin bed with a child is usually very tight and not comfortable sleep and that's why it would be max occupancy 2 adults for two twin beds and 1 child likely assumes in a cot. and you usually won't get away with sneaking in an extra person (adult or kid). it's really obvious when someone is with you, even when not checking in but eventually. Many hotels have requirement to register/have documentation for all guests and that's a local police requirement, not hotel trying to be nosy so yes, they will insist on adding the person to the reservation and if it exceeds room limit, you will have a problem. It could also be a fire occupancy rule.
So, if you can't get resolution by contacting hotel directly, I would respect their occupancy/bedding rules and figure out what's the best option - even if that means a larger/more expensive room.
As a family of 4 with two kids, in the US, we easily fit into one hotel room with two double beds everywhere. In Europe, I know we'll need two rooms almost always. that's just what it is and we budget accordingly (or look for Airbnb).
themicah likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.