Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a newborn - but buying tickets in advance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Looking to travel with a newborn baby later in the year (assuming all goes to plan) but would rather not buy the tickets at short notice after they are born.

Spoken with a couple of airlines and looks like you can purchase adult tickets in advance and then just call up and book (and pay 10%) the infant ticket. Wondering if this is the best way to do things, if others have done similar, any other options we should consider?

I have not been able to find out what happens if I book the adult tickets using miles, if I can then add on an infant or what the process is - any ideas or experiences? Would be ideal if we could also pay for the infant ticket on miles.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:13 am

I expect the full answer is “it depends on the airline” but I can give a data point for British Airways. We recently added my newborn son to an existing points booking and they asked us to pay 10% of the normal points cost, plus 100% of the relevant taxes.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jokerjokerj
I expect the full answer is “it depends on the airline” but I can give a data point for British Airways. We recently added my newborn son to an existing points booking and they asked us to pay 10% of the normal points cost, plus 100% of the relevant taxes.
Thanks, a useful data point.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:42 am

If you are looking to travel round trip with the newborn, it is usually not a problem. However if the baby is only with you on the return leg, you will be charged 10% of a oneway fee.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyal
If you are looking to travel round trip with the newborn, it is usually not a problem. However if the baby is only with you on the return leg, you will be charged 10% of a oneway fee.
What do you mean by this? I will be travelling round trip with newborn.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Different carriers handle this in different ways, so it is important to check the rules for your specific carrier and tickets. There are no "general" ways this is handled.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many carriers base the 10% fare on the fare available in the cabin class at the time the infant ticket is purchased, which can be much more that 10% of the adult ticket fare at the time the adult ticket was purchased. Note also that it's 10% of the fare but 100% of the fees and taxes, with few exceptions.

Check airline rules about the youngest infant that will be accepted for travel. IIRC it's seven days for some carriers, but this can vary.

Most carriers don't permit you to purchase an infant ticket using miles for it, but you can use miles for the adult ticket and just pay with money for the baby.
ukflyer1 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Different carriers handle this in different ways, so it is important to check the rules for your specific carrier and tickets. There are no "general" ways this is handled.
Yes that is what I am finding. I am also finding there is not always a consistent way a carrier explains it, as they rarely have it written online so you speak to different agents with different interpretations.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Are you going international I assume. US Domestic - lap children are free
Old May 31, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhead
Are you going international I assume. US Domestic - lap children are free
Yes international RTW. Not US based or going to be spending any time there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.