Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Does an infant under 2 years of age have to fly all legs of an international trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does an infant under 2 years of age have to fly all legs of an international trip?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat

Thinking of traveling across the pond and have the grandparents watch our 1 year old for a portion of the trip. If the infant is ticketed as a lap child on one of the adult tickets, does she have to be with the adult for all legs of the itinerary?
Old May 28, 2015, 12:48 pm

It depends on the itinerary - if you plan on going from e.g. London to Paris without the kid - and then s/he joins you again for the return from London to the US it is not going to work as s/he will be a no-show.

In that case, best to call the airline and ticket only does legs s/he will be on. It should not make much difference.

If the situation is different please explain as you will get better advice.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Never thought about just ticketing her for the legs that she will join us on versus the entire itinerary, which is what one can do online. If I do this, I'll ticket the adults online and then call afterwards for the infant.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
On at least some airlines you can ticket an infant for only some legs of the journey. I do not know if this applies universally, however. I could imagine YMMV depending on the carrier and the fare breaks.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Would be saving any money with a stopover to do the baby?

It might be cheaper to book to book travel within the continent on a cheaper airline like Ryan Air or Easy Jet than to use a the full fare carrier who got you there.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without the name of the carrier and what you specifically propose to do, it's impossible to provide other than generalized advice. Please provide the details and you will receive detailed advice.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I was able to ticket the infant on only the international legs that he was joining us on. We are flying British Airways. We booked our adult itinerary online. Then, after being ticketed, called to have the infant ticketed on some of the international legs. Felt like the phone agent had done this many times before. Very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.