Car seat allowed on US Airways CRJ-200?

Old Jun 7, 15, 5:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Car seat allowed on US Airways CRJ-200?

My wife and I just flew with our six-month old son on a US Airways Express flight on a CRJ-200. We brought him on in a car seat and had him buckled into the seat, and then just before takeoff the flight attendant told us that car seats aren't allowed on the CRJ-200, so we would have to check the car seat. We decided not to argue (the FA seemed very certain about the policy, the flight was already held up a bit to get the car seat off the plane, and we didn't want to hold it up any more by arguing), checked the car seat, and held the baby for the short flight.

I've since checked, and can't find anything indicating that such a policy exists. Am I missing something? Or was the flight attendant wrong?

In case it matters, we hadn't bought a ticket for the baby, but there was an open seat next to us on the plane, and the gate agent told us it was OK to bring the car seat on. The car seat was in the window seat, and was not in an exit row (or a row adjacent to the exit row).
Old Jun 7, 15, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
I think they were making stuff up. It doesn't seem to indicate that anywhere on the US Airways website.

I was surprised to note, though, that if too many infants are on one flight, they may require some to wait for a later flight (if the total number of infants exceeds the number of infant life vests available). Makes sense, but I've never noticed that before.
Old Jun 8, 15, 7:32 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler View Post
I think they were making stuff up. It doesn't seem to indicate that anywhere on the US Airways website.
That's what I was guessing, but it's good to know I didn't miss something somewhere.

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler View Post
I was surprised to note, though, that if too many infants are on one flight, they may require some to wait for a later flight (if the total number of infants exceeds the number of infant life vests available). Makes sense, but I've never noticed that before.
I agree -- that makes perfect sense, but I hadn't noticed it before.
Old Jun 8, 15, 11:07 am

Very timely thread, just booked a flight on a CRJ-200 last night with our 2 year-old son.

Question: I've read that it's pretty difficult to get a car seat down the aisle to your seat. Do you have to lift it up over the seat backs to get to your seat? We are planning on using our Britax Marathon.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8, 15, 11:29 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
To the OP, it's very possible that it was a specific policy (perceived or actual) of the regional partner. Many regionals have stricter policies relative to the mainline carrier. I think you did the right thing, though, as it wasn't worth the argument with the FA. I'd call US to confirm their policy on this, and to also determine which regional will be operating your next flight.

Originally Posted by speedytahiti View Post
Very timely thread, just booked a flight on a CRJ-200 last night with our 2 year-old son.

Question: I've read that it's pretty difficult to get a car seat down the aisle to your seat. Do you have to lift it up over the seat backs to get to your seat? We are planning on using our Britax Marathon.

Thanks in advance.
No need to lift it up, just need to be careful about holding it straight in front of or behind you, particularly if there are folks already on board in their seats. It can be tough to control, though, as it is big and heavy. When I carried ours down the aisle, I believe I grabbed the straps in the back and held it out in front of me with one arm.
Old Jun 8, 15, 1:04 pm

Thank you gobluetwo, makes perfect sense.
Old Jun 8, 15, 10:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I'm fairly certain that American carriers have to file the FAA's rules. FAA says that car seats are allowed and even recommends them. As long as the car seat is approved for use in aircraft (it will say so on the car seat stickers), then the airline must accommodate the seat I'm the same Chad of service as was ticketed. The only way I can think they could get around it would be if your hadn't purchased a seat.

Next time putting out the FAA's bulletin on car seat use. FAs don't always know what your rights actually are. So few perks out their kids in car seats on planes these days.

PP, I woukd recommend not taking the britax. The $45 Scenera Next at Wal-Mart will be so much easier to get through the airport.
Old Jun 9, 15, 6:22 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
To the OP, it's very possible that it was a specific policy (perceived or actual) of the regional partner. Many regionals have stricter policies relative to the mainline carrier.
I hadn't thought about that. The flight was operated by Air Wisconsin, so I suppose it could be their rule. If so, that's yet another reason to dislike partner-operated flights.
Old Jun 9, 15, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
AFAIK all US carriers have to allow FAA-approved car seats somewhere. Now, they may restrict the seats you can put them in (e.g., not immediately in front of/behind the exit row, not in bulkheads, not in rear-facing seats, not in front cabin, etc.) but I do not believe they can categorically deny them. So, you should ask to be reseated somewhere that can accommodate your child's seat. (Presuming, of course, you have purchased a seat for the child.)

That said, I have no personal experience with Air Wisky but have certainly flown with carseats in many CRJ-200s. FWIW, I generally put the center arm rest up to make it easier to fit the seat in, as those birds are tiny!
Old Jun 19, 15, 9:27 am
B1

Originally Posted by speedytahiti View Post

Thanks in advance.
We flew on CRJ-200 with a car seat (Air Canada regional - Air Georgian) with no problem. The Britax Marathon is too big and heavy. We invested a few dollars and bought the Canadian equivalent of the Cosco Scenera (it's called Safety First Scenera in Canada). They cost around $30 at Walmart in the US and it will be worth much more to you. They meet all safety requirements but are much lighter and smaller than the Britax monsters. We've used it on several trips for ages 1-4. We used the same seat on an American MD-80 and the local crew member could only think of ways to hassle us. The car seat has all approvals. The child seat has to be at the window position for safety reasons.

Search this Thread