Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

1 hour layover or 3 hour layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 hour layover or 3 hour layover?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:04 am

I love the radian for travel (although I also use it in my car) It's heavy yes, but if you're already strapping it into the stroller, it's not a big deal.

I wouldn't do the 1 hour connection though, there are too many variables. A delay, a dirty diaper, just lugging all that stuff could completely derail your connection.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
The reason we picked the radian is that it will be a seat we'd actually be willing to use for more than just travel. We have 3 cars and now 3 car seats. It will also rear face to 45 lbs. Between the radian and the blvd click tights we are covered for extended rear facing should the kiddo be tall and thin or normal height and stout.

Plus it is thin enough that it can be pulled down t thege aisle in a luggage cart rather than being lifted over the seats. Or folded and back carried.

I can't see myself using a Guide 65 or scenera or other inexpensive travel seat for more than travel particularly since they'd be out grown sooner.

We ended up doing the 3 hour layover. It's gonna suck but better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
The reason we picked the radian is that it will be a seat we'd actually be willing to use for more than just travel. We have 3 cars and now 3 car seats. It will also rear face to 45 lbs. Between the radian and the blvd click tights we are covered for extended rear facing should the kiddo be tall and thin or normal height and stout.

Plus it is thin enough that it can be pulled down t thege aisle in a luggage cart rather than being lifted over the seats. Or folded and back carried.

I can't see myself using a Guide 65 or scenera or other inexpensive travel seat for more than travel particularly since they'd be out grown sooner.

We ended up doing the 3 hour layover. It's gonna suck but better safe than sorry.

You also need to carry the boot and the angle adjuster with you if you plan on using it RF on the plane, or even if you plan on using it FF on the plane and RF in a vehicle. To me it's too many loose bits and pieces that you have to keep track of.

A Guide 65 will last most kids to 4 rear facing. Only the tallest of the tallest reaches 40" before then and most kids make it to 40lbs long after they turned 4. If you look at a growth chart, it's fairly easy to guestimate future height and weight, unless your child makes drastic changes in their growth curve.

Just from my experience lugging my Radian between cars and between the house and the car, I don't even want to think about lugging it through an airport. Even on a cart and with the ability to roll it down the aisle, there will still be times when you would have to pick it up and carry it.

ETA: The Scenera next now also boasts a40"/40lbs rule. I know everyone in the car seat world foo-foos 40lbs seats, but in reality it's plenty of space and it'll keep most kids rear facing for a very long time.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:48 pm

Here's the growth charts for birth to 36 months. (girls)

40lbs is not even listed off the charts and 40" is a 3 year old.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l068.pdf

Boys

40" is a 97th percentile 3 year old and 40lbs is again off the charts/ not listed.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l017.pdf

40" is going to be a 50th percentile, smack dab average 4 year old and 40lbs is a 50th percentile 5 year old.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dba/docume...2-20-years.pdf
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

The Senera Next is still a very short lived seat. FF it only goes to 40 lbs. So if you RF to the max weight you'll never FF. It also only has 13 inch top harness slots. Again it's not going to last FF very long unless your kid happens to be super leggy.

The Guide 65 is a better seat but you often need a pool noodle or rolled up towel to get a proper install when rear facing. That's not much less to carry than the boot and angle adjuster. Plus the boot can be bungeed to the stroller using the same bungee cord that keeps the seat on the stroller. The angle adjuster can be placed under the car seat on the stroller and then the kiddo can be strapped into the the car seat as we made our way through the airport.

In the end the extended RF and FF ability of the radian makes it a much better seat for the money. It's going to last twice as long and be a seat we'd actually use on occasion at home. A Guide 65 or Scenera would just sit in the closet and gather dust.

We'll see if I eat crow in April.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:04 pm

The Senera Next is still a very short lived seat. FF it only goes to 40 lbs. So if you RF to the max weight you'll never FF. It also only has 13 inch top harness slots. Again it's not going to last FF very long unless your kid happens to be super leggy.

The Guide 65 is a better seat but you often need a pool noodle or rolled up towel to get a proper install when rear facing. That's not much less to carry than the boot and angle adjuster. Plus the boot can be bungeed to the stroller using the same bungee cord that keeps the seat on the stroller. The angle adjuster can be placed under the car seat on the stroller and then the kiddo can be strapped into the the car seat as we made our way through the airport.

In the end the extended RF and FF ability of the radian makes it a much better seat for the money. It's going to last twice as long and be a seat we'd actually use on occasion at home. A Guide 65 or Scenera would just sit in the closet and gather dust.

Don't worry too much about weight limits. Most seats are outgrown by height loooong before the weight limit is ever reached.

That's why I don't go gaga over 45/50lb seats anymore. It's complete overkill for 99.9% of kids.

The other thing is, they're cheap. If they're outgrown before you are ready to FF, you'll be able to pick up a longer lasting seat and still spend less money than you have for a Radian or Britax.

I just have an personal aversion for traveling with a Radian. I just always want to yell. DON'T DO IT!! lol

It's just not ergonomically comfortable for me to carry. That's my main issue.

Besides, it's FUN to buy a new seat every year and try out the newest seats on the market! I'm almost too afraid to count up how many I've had. At one point I had 4 seats for one kid!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CBear

Don't worry too much about weight limits. Most seats are outgrown by height loooong before the weight limit is ever reached.

That's why I don't go gaga over 45/50lb seats anymore. It's complete overkill for 99.9% of kids.

The other thing is, they're cheap. If they're outgrown before you are ready to FF, you'll be able to pick up a longer lasting seat and still spend less money than you have for a Radian or Britax.

I just have an personal aversion for traveling with a Radian. I just always want to yell. DON'T DO IT!! lol

It's just not ergonomically comfortable for me to carry. That's my main issue.

Besides, it's FUN to buy a new seat every year and try out the newest seats on the market! I'm almost too afraid to count up how many I've had. At one point I had 4 seats for one kid!
I'm no stranger to the car seat love. We now have 4 for our 1 child (although I'm not sure I should count the infant seat any more as he likes it about as much as CO and UA people liked the merger).

But, honestly, I don't know that it can get all that much better than the new Britax click tight seats. The install is awesome (google a video as it is mind blowing). And the Boulevard and Advocate seats rear face to 49 inches or 1 inch below the top of the head rest. And if you bought a seat manufactured before January you can rear face tether using either the Australian or Swedish method. Plus they now have anti-rebound bars available. The only thing the seat doesn't do is the dishes. Oh, the top harness slots are 18.75 inches and there are only a few harnessed boosters "taller" than that. :-D
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:54 am

I'm no stranger to the car seat love. We now have 4 for our 1 child (although I'm not sure I should count the infant seat any more as he likes it about as much as CO and UA people liked the merger).

But, honestly, I don't know that it can get all that much better than the new Britax click tight seats. The install is awesome (google a video as it is mind blowing). And the Boulevard and Advocate seats rear face to 49 inches or 1 inch below the top of the head rest. And if you bought a seat manufactured before January you can rear face tether using either the Australian or Swedish method. Plus they now have anti-rebound bars available. The only thing the seat doesn't do is the dishes. Oh, the top harness slots are 18.75 inches and there are only a few harnessed boosters "taller" than that. :-D
I'm quite upset that it was released right after I FF my little one. Hrmph!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

The frontier version has 20.5 inch harness slots. That would almost FF me!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

After doing some seat pitch math I discovered that the radian was unlikely to fit RF. I'm not willing to FF at this age and height so I ended up with a Scerena Next. It did the job but I'm not looking forward to using that seat again. The straps were a real pain to keep even.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
After doing some seat pitch math I discovered that the radian was unlikely to fit RF. I'm not willing to FF at this age and height so I ended up with a Scerena Next. It did the job but I'm not looking forward to using that seat again. The straps were a real pain to keep even.
I think the Scenera and Coccoro are probably two of the few convertible seats that can easily RF on a plane -- possibly the only two. Their shells are shorter.

Yeah, the Scenera straps are fiddly. It took a while for me to figure out how it all connects and where everything pulls from -- and what sometimes gets tangled where. (This applies to our Evenflo seats, too.)

So to even out the straps, you can do it pretty quick by yanking on the bottom portion of each side that goes into the slot by your child's hips. It's a continuous loop, so if one side has a lot of slack, and one side is tight, pull on the tight side by that slot, and it should even things out pretty efficiently. Also, make sure that the rear tether, latch straps, etc aren't tangled underneath with the straps.

There's a little piece of webbing that connects the latch straps to the seat. As luck would have it, this came detached on one of our Sceneras, and the latch strap was then removable, which we found to be convenient! (We just had to remember to make sure we had it! We ended up keeping in it that handy little rear zipper pocket of our B&R 22" expandable rollaboard.) Anyway, not having the latch straps dangling everywhere and getting in the way was nice.

Finally, you may have noticed that the rear tether has a little notch that it can hook into on the rear-facing wedge piece that pulls out or in. This is really useful for looping the tether through a rollaboard handle to pull it through the terminal, or hanging it off a stroller handle.

Last thing: When installing in a car (applies to planes, too, but maybe less so, since, I don't know about you, but I'm a little less anal about getting a supertight install on a plane), make sure the end of the adjuster strap is accessible before tightening the seat down. It can be a real pain in the butt to have to dig into the back cushion to pull that thing out.

I think those are all of my protips!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

The harness wasn't a problem until we got to the rental car. It took me two days to figure out that I'd installed the car seat on top of the webbing. That's poor seat design, IMO. Once I figured that out I just tried to remember to fully tighten the harness between installs so it wouldn't happen again.

I think the other annoying thing about that seat is that no matter how tightly I installed it it always needed to be readjusted so that the angle was correct. That seat light to have a rubber bottom like the Britax seats (and harness comfort pads and head wings and multiple reclines... Hey, I just designed at $200 seat!)

We actually bought a luggage strap at Wal-Mart and looped it through the FF belt path to attach the car seat to the stroller. I just left the luggage strap looped in that belt path the duration of our trip. I didn't even bother unwrapping the LATCH strap or top tether since I figured it would be less complicated to just do seat belt install the entire time. This is sorry of ironic because all my "hard" install seats I install with seat belts and the Click Tight seats I've installed using LATCH.

Next time I've got to figure out how to take less. And do pre-check.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:36 pm

Yes, precheck! We signed everyone up when my youngest kid was 3 months old! not easy to do fingerprints that early, I have to say. We managed though.

Oh- another nice perk of the Sceneras- They fit through the x-ray. Our bigger seats that we had to graduate to when the Scenera was outgrown do not. So now we have to stop for manual checks/swabs of the seats.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by swise
Yes, precheck! We signed everyone up when my youngest kid was 3 months old! not easy to do fingerprints that early, I have to say. We managed though.

I'm curious as to why you paid for Pre-check for your three month old? He or she could have gone through for free with you until the age of 13.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I'm curious as to why you paid for Pre-check for your three month old? He or she could have gone through for free with you until the age of 13.
We were actually signing everyone up for Global Entry. This was 2 years ago, when the programs first rolled out, and I don't know if the rules regarding children accompanying adults were ironed out at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.