FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   1 hour layover or 3 hour layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1659733-1-hour-layover-3-hour-layover.html)

It'sHip2B^2 Mar 2, 15 4:02 pm

1 hour layover or 3 hour layover?

Next month were taking our 1 year old across the country. No direct flights from our airport. It seems I have two reasonable options for layovers: 1 or 3 hours.

We'll have a car seat on board and will gate check a small stroller. Is there a chance we'd make a one hour connection at DFW? Or should I suck it up and do the 3 hour layover?

Redhead Mar 2, 15 6:50 pm

Are you travelling with another adult? So 2 adults /1 child? If you have 2, I think you'll be able to make since one of you can manage the child while the other grabs the car seat and carry-ons.

But since I travel alone, I tend to give myself a bit more time since undoing the car seat while managing a toddler can be interesting to say the least.

Often1 Mar 2, 15 7:41 pm

With a kid, I would take the three hours. All it takes is an ill-timed potty break and you have a problem.

It'sHip2B^2 Mar 3, 15 9:00 am

I went with the long layovers. If we get there early we can always ask nicely if we can take the earlier flight.

lost*in*cyberspace Mar 3, 15 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2 (Post 24446463)
I went with the long layovers. If we get there early we can always ask nicely if we can take the earlier flight.

Check your airline's policy on same day changes and be warned if you do switch to an earlier flight at the connecting airport, it's very likely you won't get three seats together.

wrp96 Mar 3, 15 12:32 pm

With a connection through DFW, I'm guessing the flights are on AA. Watch carefully for schedule changes and take advantage of any that can reduce that layover time. If you could get to a 1.5 to 2 hour layover that would be perfect. At DFW itself I would risk a shorter layover time than some other airports.

calvinoeh Mar 3, 15 1:58 pm

at DFW with a one year old, 3 hour layover.

Eclipsepearl Mar 5, 15 10:14 am

Here are your criteria;
Is it the same airline?
If not, same terminal?
How many flights between DFW and your final destination?
Is this high season? Spring Break time? Or a busy time of day?
Two adults? (as asked before).

I personally, can kill ages of time in an airport with kids. They always seem to find stuff to do. I've had 6 hours' connection and once an 8 hour delay. They were wandering around, checking stuff out. They even find other kids to play with. By the time you change him, feed him, etc. Maybe a visit to the restroom or a quick bite to eat, head over to the other gate and presto! Departure time without the stress.

I personally, don't like to be stressed when flying with my kids, especially when they were little. But again, I was usually alone...

Can you get rid of that stroller? Since it's a domestic, probably daytime flight, how about using a good baby carrier and then put the car seat on either a folding metal luggage cart or a rollaboard (although I don't recommend the latter when traveling with children). Either check the stroller as luggage or borrow one at your destination. Obviously easier if you're visiting friends and/or family. If you decide on the 1 hour connection, do NOT gate check the stroller. That's a no-brainer.

AsiaTraveler Mar 5, 15 3:09 pm

Is it *exactly* an hour layover? Slight more or slightly less? If it were slightly under on the outbound trip, I probably would take the three hour layover. We face the less-than-one v. almost-four dilemma regularly and usually choose the almost-four option since the times we took the less-than-one option, our luggage hasn't made it. (Not at DFW, so that may not apply.) But if it is actually an hour or more, I would do the hour layover. You may want to pack food as I generally find the hour is just enough time to transfer gates and board (maybe a diaper stop).

swise Mar 5, 15 11:19 pm

Another consideration is where you're coming from. We fly into DFW from AUS all the time. With the two cities being only 200 miles away, we usually don't experience any major delays cutting into our connection time. However, if you're traveling into DFW from farther away, that adds in more uncertainty.

We have done 1 hour layovers lots of times through DFW with two parents and 1 and, now, 2 children. nbd. No time to dawdle, but it's not too stressful, either. We usually have enough time for a diaper change at whatever family restroom we pass along the way.

If the baby needs to nurse between connections, then the 3 hour layover might be preferred. It's easier to nurse off the plane where you can spread out. The Kids' rooms in the Admirals Clubs are great for this.

The one caveat I can think of is if the layover is going to take place when the baby normally naps. If you have a flexible kid who can handle nodding off a little later than usual, then go for it. But if you've got one who sticks to a routine and would end up taking half or a third of a nap while transiting through the terminal and then being fussy and tired but awake on the flight, that might be a factor.

It'sHip2B^2 Mar 6, 15 9:52 pm

We're going to buy a Radian since the infant seat is too distasteful to the kiddo now and the Britax click tight seats just aren't travel friendly. So the plan is to bungee the car seat to the stroller and strap the baby into the car seat when I'm not wearing him.

He's somewhat flexible on naps. So I'm not terribly worried about the layovers. Worst case I'll wear him and breast feed him to sleep.

I think that we will get a luggage cart to put our carry-ons on. So one parent can push the stroller and the other can pull the carry-ons. I think we'll do a back pack for a diaper bag and then I'll probably need the lap top and we'll have frozen breast milk. I'm beginning to feel like we'll need to check a bag. Ugh.

AsiaTraveler Mar 7, 15 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2 (Post 24468452)
I think that we will get a luggage cart to put our carry-ons on. So one parent can push the stroller and the other can pull the carry-ons. I think we'll do a back pack for a diaper bag and then I'll probably need the lap top and we'll have frozen breast milk. I'm beginning to feel like we'll need to check a bag. Ugh.

We more or less gave up on carry ons as a way to get our stuff there about the time we had kids. Less is more in our experience, focus on getting the stuff that you *need* with you on the plane and check the rest. We fly two airlines exclusively (because they serve our local airport) and pretty much always have some version of their credit cards in one of our wallets so that we get free checked luggage.

CBear Mar 7, 15 4:36 pm

Don't buy the Radian. At least not for travel. It's heavy. And I've always found it to be a pain to carry. Even with the back pack straps. It's just awkward. Plus you're setting yourself up for a nightmare trying to rearface on the plane. (I've travelled with ridiculously sized seats before...True Fit and Recaro Performance Sport. Both of them are heavy BUT they're far easier and ergonomic to carry.)Just don't do it. If you are planning on traveling with baby often, pick up a Coccoro. It's a no brainer.

And.

Less is more, less is more, less is more.

And.

Everything will now take twice as long as you're used to.

Go for the 3 hour layover.

swise Mar 8, 15 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by CBear (Post 24471626)
Don't buy the Radian. At least not for travel. It's heavy. And I've always found it to be a pain to carry. Even with the back pack straps. It's just awkward. Plus you're setting yourself up for a nightmare trying to rearface on the plane. (I've travelled with ridiculously sized seats before...True Fit and Recaro Performance Sport. Both of them are heavy BUT they're far easier and ergonomic to carry.)Just don't do it. If you are planning on traveling with baby often, pick up a Coccoro. It's a no brainer.

Coccoros are fantastic... unless you have a giant baby. And in that case, I would suggest a Scenera. It'll last 10 more lbs and a lot more height in rear-facing mode. Coccoros just didn't make sense for us, with 99%ers. I think the RF max for them is 30 lbs, which wouldn't have gotten my kids to 2 years.

And the funny part of all of this is that I am 5'1" and a bit 105 lbs, and my husband is about 5'5". :D Genetics is weird!

CBear Mar 11, 15 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by swise (Post 24476034)
Coccoros are fantastic... unless you have a giant baby. And in that case, I would suggest a Scenera. It'll last 10 more lbs and a lot more height in rear-facing mode. Coccoros just didn't make sense for us, with 99%ers. I think the RF max for them is 30 lbs, which wouldn't have gotten my kids to 2 years.

And the funny part of all of this is that I am 5'1" and a bit 105 lbs, and my husband is about 5'5". :D Genetics is weird!

It just completely depends on the child. Mine is a 99% in height with a miniscule torso, he's all legs and he still fit in it well beyond 2 years old. He's now closer to 4 than 3 and he just hit 33lbs (rf max on the coccoro is 33lbs.)

ETA, Seriously he's a willowy twig. I still have 24mnth shorts and t shirts that fits him. He's in 4t longsleeves, but I can't keep the pants around his waist (because he has no waist!) and the shirts look like 3/4 sleeve tents on him.