Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

International travel with a 2.5 yo toddler. Business-first time. Any tips!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus

Hi. New to this forum. I will be travelling with my 2.5 yo son alone for the the first time (business class) at the end of July. He will have his own seat, therefore, I am taking a car seat with me (safety reasons, as well as that we would need it at a destination point- 3hr ride from the airport). Has anyone travelled with a toddler in a business class? Where would I read/find info on how to install a car seat (Diono RXT) on a business class seat? Can I have it install for take off/landing and then store it for sleep if it gets too uncofortable- just an option? (I am thinking all options as I have no idea what to expect. Any tips/advices/ articles to print for us to be able to use the carseat would be appreciated. We will be travelling from NY to Frankfurt to the final destination, so there will be 8+ hrs and 2+ hrs of flying accordingly with approximately 2+hr for the transfer in Germany.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
If you bring the car seat, you'll have to use it the entire flight. I can't think of anyplace on the plane where there would be room to stow this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-car-seat.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-flights.html
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus
Thanks! All are helpful links!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
If you bring the car seat, you'll have to use it the entire flight. I can't think of anyplace on the plane where there would be room to stow this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-car-seat.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...g-flights.html
Not true. Once the seat belt sign is off, your child, just like any other passenger, can get up and move around.

The Radian is good because it folds so you can perhaps slide it under the seat during the cruise portion of the flight. He can come sit with you, play on the floor, etc. Actually, mine liked to stand, playing on the seat and it was easier to monitor them that way (probably cleaner too).

Do make sure there's a seat belt on top of him when he's asleep. Because you're in business, it might be hard to get him strapped in quickly if it gets turbulent.

Take him for a walk around the plane if he gets antsy.

At his age, he might be coming out easier to travel with compared to just a few months ago. He understands better and can occupy himself in the seat for longer.

If you have the luxury of flying with the other parent, organize who does baby-duty and when, so both of you can take advantage of sitting up there.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Not true. Once the seat belt sign is off, your child, just like any other passenger, can get up and move around.....
Of course a child is free to get out of his/her seat when the seat belt light is off,

I was responding to the OP's question as to whether or not she could remove the car seat and stow it later in the flight. That is not likely, even if this seat folds. Probably there won't be any available overhead space and many airlines don't allow car seats in the overheads anyway. OP did not indicate the plane type or airline, but many business seats don't have enough under seat storage area where this would fit.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA
We have found that ipads are a pretty good tool for flights...if you have one (or a generic tablet) then load it with games and videos that they enjoy. Once they've exhausted whatever IFE there may be and colouring books etc. then the ipad can come out. At 2.5yrs they should just about be able to manage with a set of children's headphones so the videos/games etc don't disturb the other pax (or you ).

Which airline are you going with? Check that there's a child meal ordered, and also the cabin layout of the plane you'll be on - the herringbone config that many airlines use is not ideal for supervising small children, as it is very private - great for solo travellers but less so for families. There will be better and worse pairs of seats.

lost*in*cyberspace's point about underseat space is a good one - most longhaul business class seats won't have the space. You could try asking the Cabin Crew if there is space in one of the wardrobes - it depends how small the car seat folds and how many jackets, crew bags etc are in there already.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just check your seat with luggage - it will only create complications in C cabin as well as getting to it. There is no documented of fact based safety benefit but you are guaranteed to create unnecessary challenges.
YMMV.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
Of course a child is free to get out of his/her seat when the seat belt light is off,

I was responding to the OP's question as to whether or not she could remove the car seat and stow it later in the flight. That is not likely, even if this seat folds. Probably there won't be any available overhead space and many airlines don't allow car seats in the overheads anyway. OP did not indicate the plane type or airline, but many business seats don't have enough under seat storage area where this would fit.
The seat would be used for take-off and landing. During the flight itself, there's usually room to put it somewhere. I have this seat and it folds well. Bags only have to be stowed for take-off and landing. The seat can be placed to the side, out of the way.

Strollers can't put placed in overhead bins on the two airlines I worked for but I don't know of any restriction on car seats. Very few will fit anyway but since this one folds pretty flat, it might work. But it's not necessary if you can prop it against the wall, or place it on the floor, during the cruise portion of the flight.

Be sure to never check a car seat as luggage. The risk of damage and/or loss is not worth it. Using it on board is definitely the smart thing to do! But you can fold it up and put it to the side as needed during the flight itself.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
...Be sure to never check a car seat as luggage. The risk of damage and/or loss is not worth it. Using it on board is definitely the smart thing to do! But you can fold it up and put it to the side as needed during the flight itself.
Sometimes you can't do anything but check the car seats into the hold. We have flown with the large Britax ones (not the bucket seats with a carry handle) and there simply is no way we could have taken them into the cabin and had a comfortable flight. Our kids were happier on the flat beds than they would have been in car seats for a 9hr flight. I appreciate that there is a risk of damage to them, as with all luggage that one checks into the hold.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold (MM), Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sleep

My best advice would be to take the latest evening flight you can get, so there's the best chance that your child will sleep for a good portion of the flight, if not all of it. Since you're traveling in business, please be mindful that others pay to travel in the cabin, expecting more quiet than in coach. Also be prepared for the change in pressure during takeoff and landing with something for the child to suck on (you didn't mention whether this is the first time flying). Looks like you're probably on United, so there should be room on the floor for the car seat, when it's not needed - the lay-flat bed position will probably be more comfortable for sleeping. Just got back from Germany yesterday, and if nothing else, the weather was much better than here on the east coast. Good luck!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Platinum
Page 24 of your instruction manual has information on installation using a lap belt. http://us.diono.com/components/com_j...022114_web.pdf

Nice seat, by the way! I like the folding system, and that you can attach shoulder straps and carry it like a back pack. You will appreciate having two hands free with an active two year old.

The trick to installing car seats on a plane (I only have experience in economy) is to put your knee on the car seat while tightening the belt so it will be nice and snug. If you fold the seat you can probably place it overhead or on the floor once the leg portion is extended. You should double check with your flight attendant.

If you are flying United, here is the movie listing link http://www.united.com/web/format/pdf...ie-listing.pdf. The trick to travel with children is bring lots of distractions, traditional (books, toys) and electronic (iPad).
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:33 am

I used to put mine on a metal, folding luggage cart and pull it behind me. My toddler could sit in it when tired, eliminating the need for a stroller. It was too heavy to carry on my back. The stroller either was checked as luggage or more often, we borrowed one at our destination. They sell specific car seat carts but they're basically overpriced luggage carts. Get one with a metal base. I like a telescoping handle but it's not a deal-breaker. Check the height if you're tall. Use an extra bungee to secure it. Once on board, stow it on the floor in front of your child, not in an overhead bin.

No need for children to suck or drink anything on take-off and landing. This is a common myth often passed as a "tip". If his ears are bothering him, he'll let you know and you can give him something. If he nods off, please leave him sleeping peacefully. Your fellow passengers will appreciate it!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:07 pm

I recently flew IAD-FCO on United in BusinessFirst on a 777-200. You aren't allowed to store anything on the floor during taxiing, take off or landing and there isn't any under seat storage. During flight, there really isn't enough floor room to put a car seat, even folded up. However, if the seat the OP is using folds up small enough to meet the carry on standard, it could be stored in the overheads. The only problem might be if the car seat is used for take off, it's possible all the overhead space will be taken on boarding. Personally, I'd just check the seat.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:08 am

Don't forget that there are closets in business class too, for stowage. More space in summer, fewer coats.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
+1 for bringing the Radian RXT on the plane specifically because it can be folded and stowed. Great car seat, generally -- we have three of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.