Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class with a car seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Business class with a car seat

Do car seats fit in business class seats as well as they do economy seats?

We will be flying to Asia with an 18 month old in a few months. Is it worthwhile to bring the car seat on the plane for him to use for safety reasons? I think he will go crazy being tied down for periods of time, but being loose in his own seat for an entire flight seems a bit crazy, but he does not sleep in the car so he may need to sleep flat, which means having the seat would be bad. He is just starting to walk and on three hour domestic flights it is hard to keep him content for the entire flight.

Any advice on how to best handle it is appreciated.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: United Plus
I think part of the problem, car seat or not, you need to get up and take walks with him. It's not true that a child has to be "tied down for periods of time". That's impossible for the vast majority of 18 month olds. When mine were that age, they had car seats and their own seats but spent most of the time either in my lap or walking the aisles. I was really grateful to have somewhere to put them down and to have them strapped in for take-off and landing. Those are the most important times safety-wise.

To answer your question, we need to know the airline and the aircraft. Some business class seats are in "pods" designed to not see each other. These are not ideal for a toddler with his own seat.

Also, just because he doesn't sleep in the car doesn't mean he wont sleep in the car seat. The obvious solution, and what I used to do, is put the baby down once asleep.

The real question is whether you need your car seat at your destination. In many Asian cities, this is actually quite reasonable so a CARES harness might be a better solution. Again, it wont fit on all business class seats. Again, we'd need to know the airline and aircraft.

http://kidsflysafe.com

There is yet-another issue are the airbags some airlines are installing. Some posters might be able to talk with experience on this subject.

If you do need the car seat, the best way to transport it is on board. It's also safer for the baby and no, he doesn't need to be strapped in the whole time.

If you haven't booked your flights yet, you might want to look into some of these problems ahead of time and it might play in a role in which flight you take.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:12 am

You should check to see if the airlines has bulk head seats with bassinets. You could leave the child seat in and then but the baby in the bassinet to sleep.

Any reason why you have a seat for the baby? He could fly as a lap child and still have plenty of space in business especially with a bulk head bassinet. Could save the cost of the seat. I flew with a one year old in business and was hardly in her seat for the entire flight. Lucky my company paid for her seat as it was a waste of money.

Agree with pearl you have to let them Get up and walk around just like you would do
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

We will not be flying him as a lap child because we will not be paying for the ticket A bassinet would not work because even though he is a year old he is in the 99% in size. He does need space.

We are moving there for an extended period of time and will most likely be flying United, though the dates have not been set so I do not know the aircraft, some of it might be on the Dreamliner if it gets pushed back a bit which is always liable to happen with moves like this.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:56 pm

That's good news. Using the seat on board is definitely the only way to really fly with him safely. No way can those little lap belts hold a toddler in forward impact.

Depending on what car seat you have and how often you'll be going back and forth, it might be also a good idea to use the CARES harness on board and leave a/one car seat with relatives for visits. For example, if you have two cars and two car seats, and you'll only have one car where you're going (read: one car and no car!) than that would be another option. It all depends on what's going on in your camp (no need to share, just an idea to consider). Laws can also be different in different countries regarding car safety. Your car seat could be illegal and/or cancel out any insurance. Then again, their car seats might be double the price and poor selection

If you bring the car seat, take it on board and use it. This is the smart choice. Checking a car seat as luggage is a bad idea and in this case, unnecessary. Most airlines' bassinets only go to about age 6 months anyway.

Most U.S. seats are certified for use on aircraft. A child with a seat on board has the right to use a FAA approved car seat but check if you end up on a non-U.S. company.

I have to admit, the car seat comes in handy if your little thrasher doesn't want to be strapped down for take-off and/or landing. That's happened to me! But hold your ground. They figure out fast that they're not going anywhere (and don't take him out of the car seat during those times "because he's crying"!)

18 months is a tough age for travel but as long as the seat belt sign is off, if he's antsy, please get up and do some "aisle laps". Tire him out! Too many times I've seen parents fighting their children to stay in their seats during the flight itself. Only necessary if it's bumpy, when there are carts in the aisles or during take off and landing. I wore down a lot of aisle carpeting with my active little ones on long flights.

You'll probably find that he falls asleep easier in your arms and then asleep, you can strap him down. This will allow you to go to the restroom or get a drink without worries about turbulence.

Don't change his schedule before leaving, unless it's a departure during his normal nap or bedtime. In those cases, try to fit it in somehow (i.e. earlier or extended nap). Make sure he's rested, fed and isn't thirsty. This is key to avoiding meltdowns. Have a new toy to give him right at departure, as you strap him into his seat, to distract him from not being able to run around as he's used to. No guarantee but it can work!

Don't worry about giving him anything to drink on take-off and landing. This is a common myth (even some doctors still believe this!) Schedule his last ped apt. a few days prior and make sure his ears are okay. Then let him sleep through take-off if he conks out then. No need to wake him!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I am worried about the sleeping on a really long flight because he is the type of sleeper that if you sneak into his room he will hear you and wake up. I assume that being dead tired will have him just pass out at some point though.

There will be two of us to watch over him, so we can each get breaks and tag team when necessary. We are expecting it will be the longest day we have had since the first week after he was born, but since we are going to likely do it several times over the next few years we will have to figure out a way.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:03 am

Mine aren't sensitive sleepers but they have resisted sleeping on long flights, especially at this age. Be prepared for that. Yes, they eventually just pass out. It's survivable if they're not horrible with fatigue.

Be sure to have a good quality baby carrier, especially if you need to connect. Flimsy Bjorns and other front packs are too small at this age but if you have a good one, you'll need it to get a sleeping child off the plane with your sanity intact.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:45 am

In business on a plane with fully flat beds I would not use a car seat as this will prevent you from setting it to bed and having your kid sleep with the belt on.

But if your kid is used to long car rides in which s/he sleeps well in a car seat it would work well (mine never were).

Whether a car seat will fit depends on the configuration - but with some exceptions almost always is fine.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:15 pm

If you are worried about safety then I would use the care harness as this still gives you the flexibility for the child to lay down to go to sleep. I personally don't think it is a good idea for a kid to sleep up right in a car seat for longer than a normal nap.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A well balanced combination of iPad, ife, benadryl, pacifiers and food administered as needed kept our kids occupied and sleepy on 75+k of flying. Never used car seats aside from one trip in coach. I would advice against taking car seats unless you kids really like them.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:27 am

Very few kids "like" their car seats that much! Let's be realistic...

Also, using the car seat for safety for take-off and landing wont prevent you from putting him completely flat during the flight itself. There's enough room to simply put the car seat to the side. This is a long flight so you can do what you want.

There is no medical evidence that sleeping in a car seat is harmful at this age. If he's sleeping flat before landing, he will need to be woken up and seated upright anyway.

Some of it depends on the child. If your 18 month old is really good about staying put and will sit nicely in the CARES harness, the would work. I think (someone speak up) that he will still be in arms' reach (if the seats are like what my husband had in business on United). My problem is that I had bolters. Mine were way too active to stay in a big seat like that by themselves.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Having done this many times with toddlers, I suggest bringing the seat with you on the plane the first time. Depending on the seat and the plane, it may fit in the overhead bin, or the FAs can stick it in a closet for you. Then, you can determine whether leaving your child in the seat is going to work out, or whether you will need to restrain him/her to keep them from bolting. I obviously have not flown a UA 787, but carseats are allowed in the remainder of their fleet, and CARES are allowed on the old-style seats.

FWIW, at 18 mos we were using the car seat only on domestic F, and just using CARES on international business seats. However, our children are pretty good about sitting still.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus

FWIW, at 18 mos we were using the car seat only on domestic F, and just using CARES on international business seats. However, our children are pretty good about sitting still.
Does cares fit on all c lie flats? We have a few flights on Tg and nh and i wonder if we need those for takeoffs and landings or just use regular seatbelts (which kids will likely try to unbuckle) or simply get extenders and hold the kids. Car seats are not an option.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: HH DIAMOND, UA PREMIER
Many non US airlines do not allow car seats on the plane. I bought my 9 month old his own seat to go to China on China Southern. They would not allow my seat on the plane, so we didn't take it. Child has his own seat, and sat in between us. Although they ticketed him for business class...and couldn't figure out why I had a cow when they told me to leave my 9 month old up in business class by himself! Good Luck!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:50 am

For our child, the carseat signalled to him that he could NOT get up and move around. He reacted the same way he did in a car, thinking "oh, I am strapped in and can't crawl around" and that was a good thing. For whatever reason (probably dumb luck on our part), he was trained to think carseat = sit still time. Also, it was easier for him to sleep because he could rest his head against the side.

LIke another poster mentioned, my then 18 mo old would have wiggled right out of the regular seat belt.

We would stretch a lightweight, dark blanket over his seat to darkened his area so sleep was easier. (take a small roll of duct or masking tape to secure the "tent")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.