Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Dad traveling alone with 17-mth-old IAH-BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

First off, my log-in name is outdated. I have stopped flying for work for 2 years and am no longer a UA 1K. In fact, I am nobody (or what UA calls General Member).

I will be taking my 17-mth-old daughter to Bangkok in October and looking to use miles to award tickets. My dilemma is to choose between flying business class with 2 connections (IAH-SEA on CO, SEA-ICN-BKK on OZ) or economy class with just one connection (IAH-LHR on CO and LHR-BKK on TG). I am planning to get a separate seat for her in either case. I think it would be absolute torture for both of us to be on the 20+ hr flights (flight-time only) if she would travel as a lap child. Right now, she is not a good friend with her car seat. She is ok with a stroller but only for 30 mins. And, it must have been more than 2 months since the last time she slept in her stroller. And, that makes daddy very nervous about the trip.

Any thought/suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: United Plus
First of all, the fewer connections, the better. Each connection means pulling a sleeping child off the plane, losing luggage and possible delays. Also, with airport taxes, it's probably cheaper to book with one connection anyway.

Having said that, I would go with whichever is cheapest! Make sure the business class doesn't have a "fishtail" design or other configuration which would make it difficult to take care of your little one.

My children were very active and didn't like to sit in strollers or car seats. It was a g-dsend to have the car seat on board though. I could slip them in it when they fell asleep and was able to get up, use the restroom, etc. I rarely had the luxury of flying with my husband.

Thai is a bit vague about which car seats are allowed in the cabin. You may want to contact them (by email) before you book.
http://www.thaiairwaysusa.com/flight...e-you-fly.html

This is a tough age for travel. Be prepared to do a lot of "aisle laps" with her and bring plenty to keep her occupied. If you go for business, don't hesitate to take her to walk in economy if the aisles are free. In fact, if you do sit up there, try to seat yourselves towards the back of the cabin, both to have access to the restrooms and be able to get up. You'll also have fewer other passengers staring at you.

Some might suggest drugs. I've seen it done and a couple of times, the child has had the opposite reaction. Talk to your ped and make sure she's tried whatever you give her before. Also ask what dosage (since most drugs work stronger in the air, don't give her the full amount).

Be sure to have a good baby carrier as she might get clingy and/or too tired to walk in the airport. A soft front/back pack would be best. At that age, I put the car seat on a metal luggage cart, secured it with an extra bungee and that was my "stroller" when she couldn't walk anymore. Less to drag along. I'd either check or borrow a stroller at my destination.

Bring way more diapers than she usually uses in this time frame, changes of clothes and plenty of snacks (don't expect her to eat when and what is served). Please let her sleep on take-off and landing. It's a myth that they have to suck on something. Schedule a ped visit right before leaving so that you're sure her ears are clear and healthy and she'll be fine with the pressurization changes. Don't wake her unnecessarily.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:18 am

One transfer at LHR may be worse than the transfers at SEA and ICN combined, at least from my experience.

If you have miles to burn, go for business. Do not, however, expect a relaxing flight at all. The main reason to consider business is the extra space, which will make things easier. You would actually have way more than enough space.

Notice I say space rather than room. When traveling with small child, you will have more personal room than you think (no shoulders to worry about, etc.). What is nice is to have more space to allow an active toddler to toddle.

In fact, a proper selection of economy seats (e.g., bulkhead in a grouping of 2) may be quite acceptable enough. Certainly 3 economy seats together in a single grouping would provide just as acceptable an experience as business. (Remember, neither economy nor business will be a "good" flight.)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the comments. One thing for sure is that I do not really look forward to the traveling part for this trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.