Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a DVD Player

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star

Do you have any recommendatons for a DVD player for a 3YO? We have upcoming flight that will be 3 1/2 hr long and since there is no IFE on US Airways metal, I was thinking of getting a DVD player for our son as a back up to his coloring books, reading books and etc.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are a commodity item now, any cheapy, normally a big box store has one on sale, should do.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Diamond
I picked up this one at Costco last fall for an extended car trip. It's been great for both in the car and on planes. If you're going to use it in the car at all, I like that it came with a bracket to attach it to the headrest.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:20 am

Maybe this thread would get more specific answers in the Travel tech section?

Otherwise, what they said. Any cheap, generic thing will do. But if you want it to be a bit nicer, ask the people in Travel Tech or have the mods move this thread.

Till
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by hfly
They are a commodity item now, any cheapy, normally a big box store has one on sale, should do.
I was looking for one that is more 'sturdy' or was designed for younger children.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:02 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I've been looking for an older version PSP (Playstation Pro) as a kid's video player to replace a DVD player, but still haven't found one priced close to what I could get a cheap DVD player for. Even though I'd have to convert DVDs to play on the PSP, I think it'd be a simpler option en route than a DVD player. But I'm not (yet) willing to pay a big premium for it.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use my old old Archos for my son 40GB of kids shows and movies is more than enough.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Before investing, you should check whether he'll tolerate the headphones. Master PVDProf (also 3YO) just won't, even to watch his favorite movie (Cars). So, we read LOTS of stories, play with his matchbox cars, talk, look out the window, and have slow-to-eat snacks (e.g, raisins, goldfish, grapes), and the next thing we know, we're at LAX!

(I'm not trying to claim any high ground here. All that play is exhausting for me, and I wish he'd watch the blasted movie so I could get a break. )
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to find that big DJ style retro ones work best.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:52 pm

As noted, choosing good headphones is particularly important. See this thread for some thoughts on specific models. We found it helpful to "practice" before the trip. Don't let the kid watch anything for a couple weeks prior to the flight unless (s)he uses the headphones. That worked great with our not-quite-2yo last spring, but I would think it would work well with a 3yo too.

As for specific portable DVD players, they all seem to be crap these days, so I'd probably just get the cheapest one you can find if you really want to go that route.

But we skipped buying a DVD player and just use a laptop. On a 3.5 hour flight with other activities (coloring books, etc.) as your first line of defense, a typical laptop should work just fine for playing an hour or two of video--particularly if you've ripped them to the hard drive so you're not wasting battery spinning the optical drive.

Another option if you don't want to schlep a laptop is to get a "portable media player" (iPod Video, Archos, etc.). These are really coming down in price, and they should be smaller, less fragile and longer-lasting (battery-wise) than most portable DVD players, for not a whole heck of a lot more money. If I was going to be doing a lot of flying with my toddler, this is probably the route I'd go.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I stated above the Archos is great, but you might ust want to get a Netbook for this purpose as well.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:45 am

Programs: United Plus
Great tip about putting the movies on the hard drive! It does seem to eat up batteries.

ITA about the headphones. Read that other thread. I don't recommend the "bud" style at this age.

For such a short flight, any DVD player should do. Some have a battery life as little as 1 1/2 hours so maybe one with 3 hours would make more sense (check the difference in price). You can put the screen on "night mode" to save battery life.

We do long haul flights so I had to get one with at least 5 hours but with the cheaper models, you can actually buy a second battery. In the car, you would plug it in so it's not an issue on long drives.

Be clear to him that using the speakerphones is NOT an option. Do what I did and don't even let him know that it can be done. For ages she thought that the sound only came through the headphones. There's something about the acoustics on an aircraft that makes these devices extremely annoying, even when played softly.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:24 pm

Having just done this, I reccomend you skip the DVD player and get a cheap "MP4" player instead, they can be had on ebay for $25-75 depending on features and capacity. Then, rip your DVD movies at home and store them. These things are really tiny, so can be handheld easily even by my 2 1/2 year old.

As to headphones, kids seem to prefer the big padded variety, we got a pair that was sized for small heads, and had some kid friendy graphics, etc.

Good luck.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:58 am

I'd definitely second the mp4 route.

My husband kindly ripped and transcoded (with software freely available on the internet) a slew of Arthur and Dora dvds for my mp4 player (aka the "tiny tv") and it's brilliant. Not only do you not have to carry DVDs but the battery lasts for ages (8 hours for my player), our daughter can hold it to her liking and it's tiny so it's no big deal to bring.

I would recommend a sturdy pair of earphones though. Ear buds fall out so make sure you get onese with an adjustable over-the-head type.

Best of luck,
K
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
We got this one a couple of years ago. It's pretty solidly built, but apparently it's been replaced with a new model. Don't know if that one is as good.

I second the comments about headphones. Try to find small ones; Target has one or two collapsible, smaller size headphones. Airline headphones were too big for my daughter at that age, but she tolerated the small ones pretty well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.