Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:01 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I've taken the City Line several times and the Express Line once.

Both trains appear to travel at the same speed. The express train is faster because it's non-stop.

City Line to Phaya Thai BTS: ^^^
I've taken this train half a dozen times already. It's very easy. The trip takes 27 minutes, and with a 3 minute turnaround, they reverse and do it again. The trains leave every 15 minutes, but every train I've been on has been packed, even at 10pm. Increasing to 10 minute departures seems like it would be a good target.

The trains leave right on time, have space for a carry-on size to fit under the bench seat, and on each side of the long benches there is about 3 feet of free space. I sat on the end and had plenty of space for my luggage withhout inconveniencing others.

The downside is the lack of escalators going down, but otherwise the transition from Airport Link to BTS is easier than pie.

Express Line to Makkassan: ^
While the Express line may evolve into something in the future, it's essentially a fast trip to/from nowhere (which is surprising given the central location of the station). Easy access from the airport, and a quick trip to Makkassan was of no use to me when traffic hassles were envisioned the minute I left the building. I may try the Express line on my next trip out, but it's inconvenient given my proximity to the BTS.

When I took it, I wanted to transfer from Express to City Line at Makkassan. It was a complete pain. Down 2 flights, accross the terminal, buy another ticket, back up, to what appeared to be virtually the same track about 100 meters from where I had just disembarked from the express train. The 2 lines are operated as seperate entities.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Is Phaya Thai convenient for shifting over to taxi mode?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Is Phaya Thai convenient for shifting over to taxi mode?
There did not seem to be an active taxi stand that I could see on either pass through it (although there is a little side soi/driveway providing space for one), but there are quite a few taxis going by during daytime hours on Phaya Thai Road or around the corner on Sri Ayuthaya Road.

I've never been by the area in the late evening or early morning.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
All,

Although I've traveled to BKK before, I've forgotten the "exact" rush hour times. The wife and I are arriving at 1800 from HKG on CX in J, and staying at the Plaza Ahtenee. We'd like to make it in for the tail end of happy hour. Will the city line + BTS get us there by 2000, or are we better off with a cab? Not sure what the baggage situation will be like, but we're trying to keep it to a minimum.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'll be flying in at 5pm on a Wednesday with a bit of baggage, and heading to the Le Meridien Patpong. Would it make more sense to take the train or taxi?

Would it be accurate to guess over 1 hour by taxi even if taking the toll roads?
I wouldn't even consider the train to or from LM. It is not convenient for the BTS, with or without luggage.

You should do it in about 50-60 minutes in a taxi, maybe 45 if you drop lucky. It will be no quicker by train, and more hassle.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:55 am

Had nothing to do one day, So I grabbed a taxi to Makkasan, took the express to the airport, and then took the city line all the way back to the BTS. The taxi driver was really confused why I wanted to go to Makkasan as we drove by several other rail link stations. The station was nearly empty. The workers were all VERY helpful and spoke English. The train was fast and smooth. 15 minutes!! wow.

Food and drink are cheap down below where you arrive at the airport.

City line was nice. I got off at one station so I could see the express train blast by. That was really cool to see. I wonder how many people will contemplate this as a suicide place.

The link from the train to the BTS was very obvious.

There's no "link" from the MRT to Makkasan but it looked like an easy walk if you know what you are looking for.

Very impressed. Nice!! ^

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I wanted to transfer from Express to City Line at Makkassan. It was a complete pain. Down 2 flights, across the terminal, buy another ticket, back up, to what appeared to be virtually the same track about 100 meters from where I had just disembarked from the express train. The 2 lines are operated as seperate entities.
YES!!! 2 separate entities is an accurate description.

You basically "leave the station" (not the building, but the "secure area"), go buy a new ticket, and then go to the city line platform. It just so happens this occurs on different floors of the station.

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Dec 17, 2010 at 10:01 am
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
About 2 weeks ago I was issued a chit, similar in style and use as the MRT, which was swiped upon entrance and deposited upon exit. I would assume this was a necessary step to the Jan 1 introduction of station-station pricing. Previous to this I'd only noticed paper tickets being used, someone tearing them at the turnstiles (which weren't in use) and nothing checked at the exit station.

On the three occasions I've used the city link since the first encounter they've there's been no return to the paper tickets.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I wonder how many people will contemplate this as a suicide place.
There are already plenty of other opportunities, -- Sky Bar, Vertigo, etc.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:23 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Kalboz and I did the opposite trip one afternoon, starting from the BTS at Phaya Thai, taking the regular train to BKK and the express train back to Makkasan.

One will note that there are many many direction signs if you are looking for the train or connection to BTS, MRT, or bus. There are ample information booths and employees to ask directions, who all speak decent english.

The transfer from the BTS to Airport Link is very easy. The stations are now issuing the plastic coin/tickets similar to those used for the MRT. There was a technical problem and our train didn't come, announcements said there would be a short delay, but I think they just took that train out of service and we took the following one 15 minutes later. Needless to say, the train was PACKED. 27 minutes later, we were at the airport, we took the escalators up in what was otherwise a perfect trip.

From the airport to the express link, the entrance to the train is to the LEFT of the ticket booth, but they are not selling tickets at the airport station. On the day we took the train, they collected the ticket fee UPON EXITING AT MAKASSAN station. This is a smart move, as this will mean that you cannot miss your express train waiting in line to buy a ticket. Just board the train and off you go.

The ride to Makassan was great and quick. Our intention was to look for the MRT connection. The abundance of signs made it easy to find the right exit, where there is also a bus stop. The express line has huge elevators for the decent from the platform, unlike the city line where you have to carry your bags down the stairs (not any different from the BTS).

At the point where one exits the building at Makassan station, it is not far to the MRT station, but it is obvious that the journey with luggage would be a bit difficult, as one must navigate a few curbs and sidewalks. 'As the crow flies', the distance to the MRT Petchburi station is only about 250 meters, but it is necessary to walk out to the main road, turn right towards the station entrance which may be about a 350-400 meter walk.

We decided to walk to Asok from Makkasan, which was a straight walk (from the same right turn at the main st. noted above) of about 1.3Km. One thing that you realize by walking is how central Makkasan station is to the rest of Bangkok. The station is one major intersection from Asok, about 3 blocks. This highlights just how puzzling the inconvenience of getting in/out of the station is. We took our time at a leisurely pace, stoping here and there for photos, street food, etc, and it took us less than 30 minutes from the time we exited the train to Asok intersection. Note that we did not have any luggage. But then again, if we had luggage, we would have just have taken the MRT and not walked in the afternoon sun.

With a rollaboard and a shoulder bag, which is how I usually travel, it is possible to make the connection now. IF they manage to build a skywalk from Makkasan to Petchburi MRT, it will be a GREAT connection. But, if you have more luggage than that, it would be a major inconvenience.

I'm sure Kalboz will follow up with additional comments and links to the pictures. One thing will be evident from the pictures though is that they need to increase the frequency of the City Line. Keep in mind that with the canceling of the train we were waiting for, the crowd is double...

For a single traveller with minimal baggage, either train is a great choice. And even at full prices that start next month, 45THB and 150THB, great value too!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Kalboz and I did the opposite trip one afternoon, starting from the BTS at Phaya Thai, taking the regular train to BKK and the express train back to Makkasan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625517757655/

Photos of our RT to BKK and various locations along the way. BTW, we walked all the way from the Makasan Station, end of the Express Line in Bangkok, to SGS and it was around a 30-minutes walk.

Last edited by Kalboz; Dec 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:38 am

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I just read this tweet on The Nation's website:

Airport Link begins check-in service for THAI, Bangkok Airways, Lufthansa, at Makkasan Station on Jan 4.

Last edited by vincentinparis; Dec 19, 2010 at 7:19 am
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Seanthepilot's description of the awkward MRT-Makkasan connection seems accurate. I was able to do it with a backpack and rolling carry-on, though I was thinking that it would be quite a bit easier (and less sweaty) in a taxi. I would add that the signage on the street is a bit lacking, though if you look up it should be fairly obvious where to go.

I wonder if they really will increase the fare from 100 to 150 Baht for the express line next month. The express trains seem pretty empty even at the reduced fare. Perhaps adding check-in facilities will increase traffic, though I am skeptical that it will have a big effect. The increase from 15 to 45 baht for the city line is quite sensible, though.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BigE

I wonder if they really will increase the fare from 100 to 150 Baht for the express line next month. The express trains seem pretty empty even at the reduced fare. Perhaps adding check-in facilities will increase traffic, though I am skeptical that it will have a big effect. The increase from 15 to 45 baht for the city line is quite sensible, though.
My understanding is that 45 Baht will be from Phaya Thai to BKK. If you are going a shorter distance the cost will be less.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:28 pm

Do you think the city line will be less busy when the normal fares go into effect? I mean at 10 baht, you'd be crazy not to take it. At 45 baht, the bus looks much more attractive to the people who can't swing a 90 baht roundtrip every day.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Do you think the city line will be less busy when the normal fares go into effect? I mean at 10 baht, you'd be crazy not to take it. At 45 baht, the bus looks much more attractive to the people who can't swing a 90 baht roundtrip every day.
Are they going to have discounted weekly+ passes for regular rides/airport employees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.