Search

Trip to Thailand in Jan '08 - Tips / Suggestions Please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Trip to Thailand in Jan '08 - Tips / Suggestions Please

Hi all-
Happy holidays.

I'm trying to get a trip going to Thailand in late Jan '08.

I haven't had the time to do extensive research yet. I'm taking the Monday flight from SFO arriving 1130p Tuesday. My flight departs the following Wednesday morning.

Heard the weather is great.

would like to get to Phuket but not sure I can afford / have time for it?

which LCC is most reliable on flights between BKK and Phuket?

Any helpful links / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
It's a little hard to make recommendations without knowing what your current itinerary or plans are. How long will you be in Thailand? Is the main purpose vacation or business? Are you traveling on a very low budget or a moderate budget? Where were you planning to go if don't go to Phuket?

January/February is still high season in Phuket so prices are higher than other times of year. Chinese New Year is in early February so that may have some impact on how full hotels or flights are. Sites like www.asiarooms.com, www.asiahotels.com, www.sawadee.com or www.thailandhotels.com will give you an idea of the range of what rooms can cost. I don't find flights to Phuket to be very expensive, even on Thai Air, but they may be to someone with a tighter budget.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:44 am

There are 3 LCC's operating between Bangkok and Phuket: Nok Air, AirAsia, and One-2-Go. All three have websites that allow internet booking. I believe Nok only operates out of Don Mueng Airport, One-2-Go flies out of both airports, and AirAsia only out of BKK. Check the websites.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:00 am

I assume you're on a tight budget, so let me suggest this if you want to go to Phuket - take the overnight bus. The better buses in Thailand are totally different from what you see in the US. They've got lots of room and seats that really recline - you can actually sleep on the bus. So, not only do you get an inexpensive trip to Phuket, you save one night's stay in a hotel.

Hotel rooms in Phuket can be expensive, if you want to be close to the beach. Go inland a kilometer or two and the price drops dramatically. I've stayed in Phuket Town for less than ten bucks a night (hey, I don't need a television, just give me a bed, a fan and a shower). Rent a motorbike to get around or learn to use the bus (challenging) but do not use the tuk-tuks - they're horribly overpriced.

As far as the rest of your Thai holiday goes, Bangkok is good for almost a week of exploration. The night bazaar and the weekend market are two of my favorites, but the palace and the various temples will keep you on your feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.