Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I agree that AIS 1-2-Call is the best prepaid choice for visitors as they have the best network (albeit no 3G) and they have 24 x 7 phone support IN ENGLISH and various other languages available.

They now also sell MicroSIM cards directly.

http://www.51am.com/2010/05/ais-laun...pad-users.html
Yep. I use them each trip. I ask the lady the other day when I was in and they do have micro-sims so that is no problem. I dont mind edge so much when traveling to bkk as I just want some connectivity and it doesnt have to be that fast but have actually found their edge service to be pretty fast. People just may want to make sure they get a per megabyte plan as opposed to a plan that specifices number of hours as most of our smart phones are pretty much always on. You can turn the data service on and off by calling *129*1# and then *129*2# if you want to get the cheaper option but it is a bit of a pain.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yep. I use them each trip. I ask the lady the other day when I was in and they do have micro-sims so that is no problem. I dont mind edge so much when traveling to bkk as I just want some connectivity and it doesnt have to be that fast but have actually found their edge service to be pretty fast. People just may want to make sure they get a per megabyte plan as opposed to a plan that specifices number of hours as most of our smart phones are pretty much always on. You can turn the data service on and off by calling *129*1# and then *129*2# if you want to get the cheaper option but it is a bit of a pain.
I just go for unlimited.

999 a month (even on prepaid), frequently available during promos at 699.00 a month flat rate.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I just go for unlimited.

999 a month (even on prepaid), frequently available during promos at 699.00 a month flat rate.
I will have to keep an eye out for that as I did not realize you could get that on a prepaid plan. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I will have to keep an eye out for that as I did not realize you could get that on a prepaid plan. Thanks.
Thailand is very progressive in that way. We were one of the first dozen or so countries to offer prepaid Blackberry BIS services.

You can definitely get prepaid unlimited date with DTAC, True and AIS.

AIS being the best choice for stability and support. True being the best choice for urban 3g trial. Both are between 599 and 999 baht per month on prepaid depending on what the promotion du jour is.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
Free Sim card at BKK airport

Hi

a few weeks ago when I arrived at BKK Airport the TRUE mobile booth right when you come out of Customs was giving free Sim cards , or you could get the Free Sim card and only pay the baht that was already loaded on it

I looked thru the pile and picked one with the last 3 numbers I would remember , I had planned on using it with my 3G tablet but never got around to it but it is good for a year anyway,

I have no idea if AIS has the same deal as I have used True for years without problems ( mostly around BKK )

Soarer

PS....this was a normal size Sim , I have no idea if they have the smaller ones
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
They've been giving these out in CNX at the baggage carousel continuously for as long as I can recall.

I'll grab one every so often to give, along with a spare phone or two, to friends/family when they come through.

Any monies put on the SIM will last for 30 days, as per the default promotion, but that's often sufficient for our needs.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, I am pretty sure these are from TrueMove and are the "Inter SIM". This is a decent SIM with good local calling rates, ~ 1.07 baht/min to any/all networks. This SIM also offers low-cost international long distance via the 00600 prefix, with rates as low as 1.07 baht/min to the U.S.A. (mobile or fixed line). You can also layer a 2G (GSM data/2 G: GPRS/EDGE) and WiFi - TrueMove have a broad national WiFi network - data plans on top. Any top-up, even if only 10 baht, extends validity to 365 days, and while they do have a 90 day activity/usage requirement - top-up, call, SMS - this may not be enforced. You can find these SIMs anywhere for 49 baht. TrueMove has an extensive 1800 MHz GSM network which has been expanded over the last year or so.

However, you cannot get a 3G data plan as TrueMove no longer offer 3G. The TrueMove H brand offers 3G - and calling - via the CAT 850 MHz national network - TrueMove H is a reseller (MVNO) for CAT. With TrueMove H you can roam onto the legacy TrueMove network.

So if you require 3G then you would be better off going with TrueMove H, AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC/Happy.

TrueMove H, DTAC/Happy and AIS/One-2-Call offer regular SIMs, micro-SIMs and Nano SIMs.

I think TrueMove also offers all three but am not certain re: Nano SIMs.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:23 pm

Is TRUE the best service to use? We are going for 2 weeks to Bangkok, Krabi, Phuket, Khao Lak. Looking for only voice and SMS support, no data (we'll use wifi phones for that)

Is there any CDMA coverage in Thailand?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by hellyea

Is there any CDMA coverage in Thailand?
Yes, in Bangkok at least. I keep my Verizon phone on but don't answer it. I then call back whoever calls me on my Thai phone.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK there is no CDMA service in Thailand. Assuming you have an iPhone, which also supports GSM, then you may be able to roam onto a GSM network here, who may be partnered with Verizon?

CAT and Hutch used to operate CDMA2000 networks here, but those have been shuttered and replaced with My by CAT/TrueMove H on 850 MHz.

Assuming you have an unlocked GSM phone, capable of accepting a SIM then One-2-Call (AIS) or Happy (DTAC) might be the best pre-paid solution for voice, text and even mobile broadband.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Ah, OK. It's been 2 years or so since I used the CDMA there. Didn't realize it was no more. It was quite handy.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
We will be arriving BKK with 3 unlocked 3G/4G android GSM phones.

It looks like all of the mobile voice/data providers have booths/shops in the arrivals hall.

Is there a particularly good prepaid voice/data package? We will need coverage for both BKK and HKT.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
We will be arriving BKK with 3 unlocked 3G/4G android GSM phones.

It looks like all of the mobile voice/data providers have booths/shops in the arrivals hall.

Is there a particularly good prepaid voice/data package? We will need coverage for both BKK and HKT.
Can you share any details re: the exact make/model, or 3G frequencies these phones support. We have 3G on 850 MHz, 900 MHz and 2100 MHz, so this is important, assuming you want 3G.

How long will you be in Thailand?

Any additional details would be great: data usage, calling patterns, budget, etc.

While the three major service providers do have shops at the airport, level 2, land-side just outside Customs more/less near door #7, you do not have to buy a SIM there as you can buy them anywhere/everywhere.

The steps are: buy a SIM, activate it, add value, choose a data plan.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by transpac
Can you share any details re: the exact make/model, or 3G frequencies these phones support. We have 3G on 850 MHz, 900 MHz and 2100 MHz, so this is important, assuming you want 3G.

How long will you be in Thailand?

Any additional details would be great: data usage, calling patterns, budget, etc.

While the three major service providers do have shops at the airport, level 2, land-side just outside Customs more/less near door #7, you do not have to buy a SIM there as you can buy them anywhere/everywhere.

The steps are: buy a SIM, activate it, add value, choose a data plan.
The phones support 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G networks. These are also quad-band GSM phones (850/900/1800/1900 MHz GPRS/EDGE/2G).We'll be in Thailand for 12 days. I want to be able to use our phones to call/text each other and some moderate data usage. I don't expect us to be doing a real heavy data use but I want to be able to use features like map/gps/web/email.

We have a 2GB/month/phone data plan and we usually don't use more than 300 MB a month for each phone.

I assume that the data will drive the cost more than the voice usage. We might call the US from Thailand if we need to deal with changes in travel plans or in an emergency. But I expect 99% of the voice usage will be within Thailand.

I hope I provided enough enough detail.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope I provided enough enough detail.
I think I'd recommend a Happy (the pre-paid brand name for DTAC here) SIM and a weekly data plan layered on top, to be renewed after 7 days for a second weekly period.

Specifically the Kong Kra Pun SIM

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...kongkapan.html

images of SIM pack

as it offers decent calling rates within Thailand, and you can call the U.S. using the DTAC/004 prefix (004 1 nnn nnn-nnnn) for 3.21 baht/min.

The weekly internet plan is 199 baht (so 214 baht with 7 % VAT):

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...t-package.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.