Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billp
I've been using AIS since forever and each time I top up, it extends validity for a year. Currently the validity of the balance on my SIM card is at March 3, 2014. What I do now is visit the AIS stand at the airport upon arrival and put a 500 baht top up on my card, then buy their 1 GB for 30 days for 350 baht data plan. In 3 weeks of frequent use, I usually still have plenty of bandwidth left over, which of course disappears after the 30 day period.
It's easy to get the SIM card out of an iPhone. I use a paper clip.
If Verizon won't cooperate, there are lots of stands on the 4th floor of MBK Center which will jailbreak and unlock your phone for about 500 baht.
Service providers have cut way back on validity here over the last few years, and you've built up validity by topping up more than you would use. These days a 500 baht top-up would only net 50 days validity. With DTAC/Happy one extend validity for 2 baht/30 days, up to 12 baht for 365 days. AFAIK, AIS/One-2-Call does not offer a similar validity extension but they may if you contact them at their call center. The TrueMove InterSIM, which is sometimes given out free at international airports here, gives 365 days validity for any to-up greater than 10 baht. TrueMove's concession is due to end on Sep. 15, 2013.

The 350 baht/1 GB mobile data plan with One-2-Call is pretty good but it does have a hard-cap, after which you start paying 1 baht/min so it can be easy to burn through your balance quite quickly. I usually recommend an unlimited plan, where possible, but if you can manage/monitor your usage then these capped plans offer a decent alternative.

I'm not sure I'd recommend jail-breaking a Verizon phone under contract at a counter shop in MBK, but I have no experience with this other than having read some horror stories.

If Megatoplover does get their iPhone 4S unlocked via Verizion then they will need a micro-SIM. These can be a bit more challenging to find, and may require a visit to a larger, branded service providers retail shop, in a major mall. The AIS/One-2-Call, TrueMove and DTAC/Happy shops at the airport - level 2 outside Customs - should have micro-SIMs.

Finally, Homer mentioned a 199 baht weekly plan from DTAC/Happy. That plan only includes data, voice and text is extra. There really are no unlimited calling plans per se, but some SIMs do have bundled minutes.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/pr...yVisitors.html
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
<<Service providers have cut way back on validity here over the last few years, and you've built up validity by topping up more than you would use.>>
In fact, this is not accurate. I've always gotten a 1 year validity with this card and it doesn't have anything to do with the amount I top up. Generally, after paying the 350 baht data charge, I take a week or two to run down the remaining balance. When they SMS me that my balance is low, I pop into Telewiz, throw on another 200 baht and get that validity pushed back another couple weeks into 2014. I always use up the balance and then top it up again before I depart Thailand. I've had the same card since 2006 and it was always like that. I think I may have this plan: http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/sawasdee.html

I'm not sure why "hard cap" is relevant. 1 GB is more than enough to take care of frequent email, Facebook and Twitter checking and posting and uploading photos while I'm waiting for MRT trains or sitting in cafés. This last time I still had about half of the bandwidth left after 3 weeks. I suppose if I had run it down I would have just topped up the card and used some of the balance to buy more. But 1 GB is certainly is enough to last a month if I'm not downloading music or video.

All the service providers have micro and nano SIMs nowadays. Maybe 7/11s don't.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I don't know about nano SIMs but 7/11s were carrying micro SIMs last December.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<<Service providers have cut way back on validity here over the last few years, and you've built up validity by topping up more than you would use.>>
In fact, this is not accurate. I've always gotten a 1 year validity with this card and it doesn't have anything to do with the amount I top up. Generally, after paying the 350 baht data charge, I take a week or two to run down the remaining balance. When they SMS me that my balance is low, I pop into Telewiz, throw on another 200 baht and get that validity pushed back another couple weeks into 2014. I always use up the balance and then top it up again before I depart Thailand. I've had the same card since 2006 and it was always like that. I think I may have this plan: http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/sawasdee.html

I'm not sure why "hard cap" is relevant. 1 GB is more than enough to take care of frequent email, Facebook and Twitter checking and posting and uploading photos while I'm waiting for MRT trains or sitting in cafés. This last time I still had about half of the bandwidth left after 3 weeks. I suppose if I had run it down I would have just topped up the card and used some of the balance to buy more. But 1 GB is certainly is enough to last a month if I'm not downloading music or video.

It is a little challenging to explain but you have built up extended validity over the past six years so almost any top-up amount extends your validity out to the maximum of 365 days. For first-time users it might take a top-up of 1,500 baht to get 365 days with One-2-Call. So my caution was more for Megatoplover than seasoned, long-term users like you.

I only caution people about the hard-cap plans because once you reach that cap you start to pay by the minute. And many, many people complain about using up all their balance without being aware of this "limitation". While 1 GB may be sufficient for you some people may have requirements for larger or unlimited plans? I think this is why service providers offer 2, 3 5, 7 and 10 GB plans as not everyone has the same requirements as you?

Nano SIMs can be very challenging to source; micro-SIMs are becoming more widely available, mostly as duo-cut SIMs (snap-outs from a standard SIM), but still can be challenging to find in any/all mobile shops.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: Nexus
I have a blackberry bold 9900 from Rogers in Canada (uses a sim). I can unlock it and want to use it for a week that will be split between Bangkok and Hua Hin. I only want data and a Gig is likely more than enough. Which company would fit my needs best?

Thx
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ It looks like that BB model comes in two flavors, one of which supports 900 MHz 3G (along with some other frequencies) and it looks like the Rogers version supports 850 MHz 3G.

Assuming that's correct you might be better off with either TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy,a s both of these offer 3G on 850 MHz here currently. Both should have decent coverage in Bangkok and Hua Hin. I've used DTAC/Happy 3G in Cha Am and Hua Hin.

You could go with a weekly/30 day plan from DTAC/Happy, or a 30 day plan from TrueMove H.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...talk/entry/653

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...t-package.html
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
^ It looks like that BB model comes in two flavors, one of which supports 900 MHz 3G (along with some other frequencies) and it looks like the Rogers version supports 850 MHz 3G.

Assuming that's correct you might be better off with either TrueMove H or DTAC/Happy,a s both of these offer 3G on 850 MHz here currently. Both should have decent coverage in Bangkok and Hua Hin. I've used DTAC/Happy 3G in Cha Am and Hua Hin.

You could go with a weekly/30 day plan from DTAC/Happy, or a 30 day plan from TrueMove H.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...talk/entry/653

edited to add: I am not at all familiar with how BBs work with data but do know they may be slightly different. The above refers to standard mobile data plans that you might get for an iPhone, iPad or Android device.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pro...lackberry.html

http://truemove-h.com/blackberry.aspx
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:05 pm

Hello everyone!
In a few days I leave for a holiday in Thailand. I tried a lot of information about the best mobile operator with 3G internet connection for my nokia lumia 920 (microsim). Unfortunately, I noticed that 3G situation in Thai is really difficult to understand.
Thanks to your forum, and other sites, I think I understand that all things considered, the best 3G network speed and coverage (or the least bad) is provided by True Move H.
Will visit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chian Rai, Phuket (Hotel in Karon), Ko Phi Phi Don, Ko Phi Phi Leh and some other island we will decide when we will be in Thai.

From your experience / knowledge of these areas, do you think true move h can be a good choice?

That said, I have some practical questions about the activation of the pre paid sim and packages. Considering that I want to call and have 3G internet, I have to choose some particular sim http://truemoveh.tru....th/shopping/14, or any (micro) sim true move H going well?

With regard to packages: iPlay is the only prepaid package? http://truemoveh.tru...iplay/entry/604
Or even iNet, iSmart are pre paid?

If only iPlay prepaid, I have to add the package internet http://truemoveh.tru...iplay/entry/654 of my choice, using the codes according to that table. Right?

Latest question (sorry for the length of the questions ...): I have a chat sim AIS 12 call, which gave me a friend returned from Thailand two weeks ago (used only for calling, not a lover of technology).

I tried to figure out something on the site AIS. But they sell many different sim, and I did not understand anything. One question: this chat sim AIS can be used to navigate in 3G buying a internet package? (just to know if I can be useful, or even do not bring in Thai).

Well, now I have finished the questions. I hope that someone will and patience to explain something. I would be a great pleasure!

Thank you again!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like you got the answer you need over on the ThaiVisa forum?

TrueMove H might offer the best shot at 3G, be sure to enable data roaming so you can roam (no extra fees) on the legacy TrueMove 1800 MHz GSM network when outside of TrueMove H coverage.

AIS/One-2-Call might offer the broadest GSM (voice and 2G data) coverage in the Kingdom but many complain about their aged infrastructure esp. re: 3G. DTAC/Happy offers the best overall service but has limited 3G coverage, that said DTAC/Happy should be fine but not certain about the Koh Phi Phis?

You can add value to the AIS-One-2-Call SIM and then subscribe to any data plan - you do not need any specific SIM.

I always recommend "unlimited internet usage" plans even though those have a fair-use cap/speed limit; which varies from 64 to 384 Kbps. Capped plans incur fees when you go over your cap so unless you monitor usage closely you can burn through any remaining balance/value.

Some service providers allow you to cancel an existing plan, then re-subscribe to another plan without the need to purchase a new SIM, should you find yourself running through your FuP/hard cap.

For TrueMove H I might recommend the 2/3/5/7 GB unlimited plans from the top table here:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/pack...B8%B4%E0%B8%99

For AIS-One-2-Call maybe the 5/7 GB unlimited plans (also have WiFi from 3BB):

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/...net-package/#2

For DTAC/HAppy maybe the 5/7 GB unlimited plans (not very good WiFi):

Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:28 pm

Yes, looking for information I found this forum and thaivisa. And I asked the same questions!

Thank you also for your kind and thorough answer, I think to go directly to true move H.

There remains only a small doubt, I also expressed on thavisa forum.

The question is on the internet packages currently activated.

Both you and someone else, you put the link to this table http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/pack...B8%B4%E0%B8%99

But looking on the site currently true move H, the larger plan "unlimited" I see is 5 GB. Not 7 GB. http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topp...ntry/654?ln=en

Boh! However, in a few hours I leave for Thailand! I think (I hope) I will not have trouble finding a true move microsim H, finding the right data plan and activate it!

Thanks again for all the information!
Obviously if you have any further advice or information I am here to read!
Thank you! hello!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
DTAC/Happy offers the best overall service but has limited 3G coverage,...
"limited 3G coverage" is a huge understatement, I have the 1GB data plan for 30 days from dtac and so far I just had EDGE, no matter if I was in Bangkok, Si Sa Ket or Khao Lak. Not a single time I got 3G.

Doesn't matter for me, because I just need it for emails and Google maps, but still it's kind a disappointing. Next time I'll also try TrueMove
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paoletto2009
But looking on the site currently true move H, the larger plan "unlimited" I see is 5 GB. Not 7 GB.
I suspect that you can still subscribe to the larger, 7 GB plan. Make sure to add enough value, plus at least another 7% for VAT, and try to subscribe: *900*999# Call/Send

Originally Posted by olisch
"limited 3G coverage" is a huge understatement, I have the 1GB data plan for 30 days from dtac and so far I just had EDGE, no matter if I was in Bangkok, Si Sa Ket or Khao Lak. Not a single time I got 3G.

Doesn't matter for me, because I just need it for emails and Google maps, but still it's kind a disappointing. Next time I'll also try TrueMove
What is the exact make/model of your phone? Did you configure an APN? DTAC/Happy operates 3G on 850 MHz so your phone would need to support that frequency. Which plan, exactly, did you subscribe to?

I've been using DTAC/Happy 3G for well over one year. I have no issues with 3G coverage or performance in metropolitan Bangkok, or in most other areas I've traveled to in Thailand - I've driven over most of the country. They do have extensive 3G coverage in all provincial capitals, and have ~ 5,000 base-stations enabled. I typically see speeds of 10 Mbps/4 Mbps.

I strongly suspect that there is some issue with your phone, the configuration or the plan.

Note that you may want to try TrueMove H - TrueMove no longer offers 3G. Note that TrueMove H also operates 3G on 850 MHz here.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
So just to confirm, an AT&T 3G Galaxy SII would work well in BKK with either of these sim cards?

FYI: Your info is fantastic!!!

Cheers

What is the exact make/model of your phone? Did you configure an APN? DTAC/Happy operates 3G on 850 MHz so your phone would need to support that frequency. Which plan, exactly, did you subscribe to?

I've been using DTAC/Happy 3G for well over one year. I have no issues with 3G coverage or performance in metropolitan Bangkok, or in most other areas I've traveled to in Thailand - I've driven over most of the country. They do have extensive 3G coverage in all provincial capitals, and have ~ 5,000 base-stations enabled. I typically see speeds of 10 Mbps/4 Mbps.

I strongly suspect that there is some issue with your phone, the configuration or the plan.

Note that you may want to try TrueMove H - TrueMove no longer offers 3G. Note that TrueMove H also operates 3G on 850 MHz here.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
So just to confirm, an AT&T 3G Galaxy SII would work well in BKK with either of these sim cards?
Is that the "Skyrocket"?

Is it unlocked?

It looks like that model supports 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G, along with the standard GSM frequencies so it will work with DTAC/Happy or TrueMove H if 3G is required. As AIS/One-2-Call offers 3G on 900 MHz it would not support 3G on that network.

If 3G is not required it would work on any/all networks here.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
AT&T 3G only - right bf the Skyrocket. And yes, unlocked.

Thanks again

Cheers

Is that the "Skyrocket"?

Is it unlocked?

It looks like that model supports 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G, along with the standard GSM frequencies so it will work with DTAC/Happy or TrueMove H if 3G is required. As AIS/One-2-Call offers 3G on 900 MHz it would not support 3G on that network.

If 3G is not required it would work on any/all networks here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.