Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:51 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Informpage
Anyone have experience with 3G service - speeds/best service and daily plans?
I think that TrueMove has a SIM that will give you 30 days unlimited 3G data for a top-up of something like THB 600.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:08 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Internet in Thaland bad been slow for the last many, many months. Moblie service is no different.

choices are
AIS (1-2-Call)
DTAC (Happy)
TRUE

I use both AIS and DTAC on prepaid EDGE packages with comparable speeds (DTAC with a slight advantage).
TRUE is touted to be faster than the competition. TRUE also claims 3G available with its iPhone plans.

YMMV
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Internet in Thaland bad been slow for the last many, many months. Moblie service is no different.

choices are
AIS (1-2-Call)
DTAC (Happy)
TRUE

I use both AIS and DTAC on prepaid EDGE packages with comparable speeds (DTAC with a slight advantage).
TRUE is touted to be faster than the competition. TRUE also claims 3G available with its iPhone plans.

YMMV
Thanks - I guess I'll try True, unless their package is too expensive. If anyone has had any experience with TRUE, I'd be happy to hear it.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:34 am

I used to call via a SIP program called Nimbuzz with DCalling account (http://www.dcalling.de). This was possible using the 3G data connections. So i could omit the roaming charges for the data connections i have bought a data package. i dont know, what exactly was the price but it was very cheap.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Micro-SIM card in Thailand

Has anyone been able to purchase micro-SIM card in Thailand?
Looks like both AIS and True offers micro-SIM card for iPads, but will it work in iPhone4?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
TrueMove sell them for ipads and yes they will work on other devices, too.

Not sure if they're available pre-paid or only post-paid.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: most of them
dtac sells iPhones so I assume they should be able to sell you a sim card too
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Such a timely thread. I was just talking to my wife about this once we noticed her new iPhone came with a micro sim. My wife is Thai so she is going to ask her friends and worse case i will have to get out the scissors. Not sure when your trip is but I will report back in about 4 weeks on my experience.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by glennaa11
dtac sells iPhones so I assume they should be able to sell you a sim card too
DTAC sells iPhone 4s? Thailand wasn't on the list of countries for both 1st and 2nd launch.

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Such a timely thread. I was just talking to my wife about this once we noticed her new iPhone came with a micro sim. My wife is Thai so she is going to ask her friends and worse case i will have to get out the scissors. Not sure when your trip is but I will report back in about 4 weeks on my experience.
Thanks. Looking forward to your answer as I won't leave 'till October.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: most of them
Looks like DTAC just sells the 3G and 3GS. I do not use an iphone so I don't know the implications of that. But I just hear their iphone commercials on the radio all the time.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:20 pm

Truemove neither sell the Iphone4 or the ipad yet they have micro SIMs and ipad data plans on postpaid. This is Thailand, land of grey imports.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:32 am

Looks like DTAC has micro sims as well. So, there should not be any problems getting a micro sim. I always need to go to the shop to fully understand the promotions though as the plans make no sense to me sometimes.

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?opt...id=469&lang=en
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
In my experience, AIS (1-2-call) data service is so much more reliable inside and (especially) outside of BKK. Putting a AIS SIM into an iPad - is it just a matter of cutting the sim card to the proper size? The assumption would be that you would use this SIM only for data service in the iPad.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
In my experience, AIS (1-2-call) data service is so much more reliable inside and (especially) outside of BKK. Putting a AIS SIM into an iPad - is it just a matter of cutting the sim card to the proper size? The assumption would be that you would use this SIM only for data service in the iPad.
I have cut sims with scissors but the best bet is to purchase a sim cutter as that will do a btter job. It was pretty easy for me as I had a micro sim already and just traced it on the sim I wanted to cut down to size. I was just using a tmobile sim I had that was still good to make sure the unlock of my wifes phone was good so I didnt care if I screwed it up.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:23 am

I agree that AIS 1-2-Call is the best prepaid choice for visitors as they have the best network (albeit no 3G) and they have 24 x 7 phone support IN ENGLISH and various other languages available.

They now also sell MicroSIM cards directly.

http://www.51am.com/2010/05/ais-laun...pad-users.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.