Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which pre-paid SIM card to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Just use the 009 prefix as this will yield the lowest cost.
I was told to use 008...do you know if there is any marked difference for international calls?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
I was told to use 008...do you know if there is any marked difference for international calls?
I think from what I read was the quality of the line, but that just doesnt sound right

Okeydokey, unfortunately time now is tight as I am leaving tomorrow (first stop Australia)

The billion dollar question is:

AIS One-2-Call
or
Happy (Happy SIM or something else you guys recommend)

thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think 009 (CAT) is slightly less, maybe 1 baht/min, than 008 (TOT) but I have not followed this that closely. I just always use 009. It works.

For mofo-hofo just get a One-2-Call/AIS SIM, it will satisfy your requirements.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:40 pm

I think 009 (CAT) is slightly less, maybe 1 baht/min, than 008 (TOT) but I have not followed this that closely. I just always use 009. It works.

For mofo-hofo just get a One-2-Call/AIS SIM, it will satisfy your requirements.
Thanks transpac!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calling options: Thailand to the U.S.A.

Just saw this in another forum...

http://voipthai.blogspot.com/2008/06...nal-calls.html

"If you're in Thailand and have an AIS/One2Call phone, you can take advantage of FREE international calls.

This service is available only to 5 destinations - USA/China/Hong Kong/Singapore and Canada.

There is no charge for international call - its FREE but you will be charge 2/baht a minute by AIS.

Simple dial *490049 and hit the call button then wait for voice prompts to enter the destination number you wanna call."

It worked for me. In the intro there is mention that the service is offered by DeeDial, www.deedial.com , who offer low-priced calling cards. With ring-back service basically 1.25 THB/min to the U.S., standard dialing add in your local charges, typically 2 baht/min or less. You could use a DeeDial card with any mobile or fixed line.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA 2 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Premier
Thanks for the info on deedial Transpac. I will have to try it. Looks to me like if you use the call back service you would only be charged for the initial call to the "call back" number typically lasting less than 1 minute and once you answered the "call back" the 1.25 THB per min would start. The "call back" would be considered an incoming call and therefore you wouldn't be charged the 2 THB per min. You would only be charged the 1.25 THB and 2 THB for your initiating call to get the "call back".
Old Jul 3, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IFlyMRY
Thanks for the info on deedial Transpac. I will have to try it. Looks to me like if you use the call back service you would only be charged for the initial call to the "call back" number typically lasting less than 1 minute and once you answered the "call back" the 1.25 THB per min would start. The "call back" would be considered an incoming call and therefore you wouldn't be charged the 2 THB per min. You would only be charged the 1.25 THB and 2 THB for your initiating call to get the "call back".
FWIW with the DeeDial call-back option you would not incur any local access charges. You have to have registered your phone number first, then you dial an access number, let it ring once (this call is not answered), then hang up and wait for a call-back. The system knows to call you back based on your CPID/ANI, once in the system you enter the calling party's number and are connected. You can also set up "speed-dials" by associating a specific number you call frequently with one of twenty access numbers. The system identifies your number, associates it with the local number you dialed, looks up your speed dial and completes the call. In this case you would be local access charges.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:42 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There is no charge for international call - its FREE but you will be charge 2/baht a minute by AIS.

Simple dial *490049 and hit the call button then wait for voice prompts to enter the destination number you wanna call."
The *490049 service doesn't seem to be working any longer from my AIS line.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was supposed to be a temporary, introductory type service, I think. Pop into a 7/11 or Family Mart and get a pre-paid DeeDial card, or register on line for the same or less expensive service. I've been using my majicJack lately so haven't stayed up to date on the low-cost international calling options.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA/UA
I used 1-2-Call without an issue and my friends said dail 009 to USA or 004 which is slightly less than 009.. regardless either times calls were clear and sharp

The only issue was (which is obvious) is that 1-2-Call has everything in Thai (on package) and no other language.. luckly my friend helped get me going and after that it was very easy
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
Dial 1175 for call centre help - press 2 for English.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
It was supposed to be a temporary, introductory type service, I think. Pop into a 7/11 or Family Mart and get a pre-paid DeeDial card, or register on line for the same or less expensive service. I've been using my majicJack lately so haven't stayed up to date on the low-cost international calling options.
How does magicjack work, OK? I've used Vonage for almost two years and it has been great. Only had trouble in Indonesia due to REALLY bad internet connections.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Another heads up on prepaid Thai sim cards; Ais will allow data usage on unlocked Blackberry without Blackberry server while Dtac will not.
Many attempts to configure a Blackberry on Dtac for data unsuccessful, voice is no problem.
Anyone with suggestions? As I still have a long validity on a Dtac Happy sim.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Originally Posted by JTPictureman
How does magicjack work, OK? I've used Vonage for almost two years and it has been great. Only had trouble in Indonesia due to REALLY bad internet connections.
I used magicjack over WIFI from my hotel window , signal was only 2 bars out of 5 on my Dell Mini

It worked "OK" if you are calling a friend who will not be pissed off when you keep saying "what" as the line quality is poor ,

but its basically free since you are using your magicjack USA number calling another USA number,

I used it to call my friends but used my cell phone to call for business.

Rally
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
i'll be in BKK later this month for a few weeks. can I just go to a 7-11 and buy a SIM card? if so, which one? My phone calls will be local and I'm looking for something inexpensive.

Lastly, will the SIM card work in neighboring cities and countries for incoming calls? I will be in Southern Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and the Philippines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.