Wiki Posts
Search

Zeavola Resort-Phi Phi Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE MM
Zeavola Resort-Phi Phi Island

Just wanted to know if anybody has stayed at the Zeavola on Koh Phi Phi island. My wife and just returned from Thailand and we want to go back this December. One place we want to go to is the Zeavola. So does anybody have any comments here ?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Thumbs down

I just got back from Thailand and we spent 3 days at the Zeavola.
I was greatly disappointed! It is not worth the price, The 2 restaunts serve the same menu, the staff barely speak English, and the beach is horrible. It is right next to a spot where boats dock for other hotels and daytrippers, making the beach very loud and not peaceful! I would not recommend this property!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Koko
I just got back from Thailand and we spent 3 days at the Zeavola.
I was greatly disappointed! It is not worth the price, The 2 restaunts serve the same menu, the staff barely speak English, and the beach is horrible. It is right next to a spot where boats dock for other hotels and daytrippers, making the beach very loud and not peaceful! I would not recommend this property!

Thank you for your comments. When we were in Chaing Mai we meet a couple who had just returnued from there and they raved about the resort. Also on the flight home I sat beside someone who spent 9 days there and said they wished they had a month. When were was in Phi Phi during a day trip the beach was very busy. The Zeavola told me they have a private baech?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: BA BD SA
There are several reviews on tripadviser. The most recent is horrendous/hilarious depending on your point of view. Almost all the others are extremely complimentary.

I have a week's stay booked this month and decided not to be put off by that report. I'm putting my faith in FT's resident in Phuket and others who have recommended Zeavola. Will post my experiences, for better or worse.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:11 am

Programs: BA BD SA
My experience at Zeavola

Here's a quick report back on my stay.

There's lots to like about Zeavola - but also lots to hate. And your enjoyment of the resort will depend critically on how much weight you give to various aspects. For me the best and worst aspects were:

^ E-mail correspondence was promptly and efficiently dealt with.

^ The transfers from Phuket were well handled. The limos are provided by the Sheraton Laguna and are very luxurious mercs. There is an air-conditioned waiting room at the marina and the speed boat directly to the resort is the efficient way to get there. (Of course it will cost you 6000 baht unless included in your rate.)

^ The villa design is a bit quirky but I liked it a lot. The hardwood construction is of a very high standard in terms of materials and workmanship. In the bedroom there are floor to ceiling glass doors on 2 and a bit sides (a total of 11 double doors, IIRC) and they all fit perfectly. There is a large patio with electrically operated bamboo blinds. The bathroom consists of a washbasin and one shower outside and the toilet, another shower and a basin inside.

The fittings were less impressive with some of a very poor standard. The bedside lights are hideous and completely impractical for reading or any other purpose. We ended up rearranging the spot lights so that one served as a downlighter to read by and the others were angled up out of our eyes.

But all that those glass curtaining and the big patio give you is a great view of... your neighbours! Your privacy is severely compromised by the layout of the bungalows. At first we thought we had been allocated a bad site and were going to ask for one with more privacy. But we walked around and discovered there were many that were even worse than ours so we stayed put.

Most of the bungalows have no connection to the sea view at all. (And I believe that at least some of the 3 beach-view bungalows are subjected to compressor noise from a dive operator right on the property boundary. Those nearer the restaurant could have other noise or muzak issues - see below.) This is the flattest property on Laem Tong so the scope for partial views is very limited. Oddly enough the cheaper, smaller, hillside bungalows may be better off in this regard. (And the staff bungalows high up on the hill must have stunning views.)

^ The gardens are lovely and well kept. Lots of birds and frogs around - always reassuring of a good environment.

But also a fertile breeding ground for mosquitoes. They were probably the worst aspect of Zeavola. I know they are everywhere in the tropics, but Zeavola's are legendary. (At a cafe nearby strangers joked with us that the crab that SO thought was nibbling his toe, was nothing compared to the mozzies at Zeavola.) They did fumigate one night but there was no perceptible change. As a result all those glass dooors and the patio are useless. You have to hole up with everything shut. And a trip to the (outside) bathroom involves running the gauntlet of swarms of them. Yes, we used sprays and lotions. But I hate slathering myself in poisons all the time.

^ The breakfasts were excellent and had lots of imaginative choices (Indian, Thai, American, English etc.). They were usually presided over by a truly charming and helpful maitre d.

At other meals we experienced some excellent dishes well presented, other dishes ranging from the ordinary to worse, and appalling service of the bewildered incompetence variety. Not acceptable at those prices (don't even think about a glass of wine!).

^ Also loved the architecture of the restaurant - very simple (just a barn, really) but very stylishly executed.

Prices were high, very high for Thailand, and everything is subjected to tax and service charge. So a mango smoothie costs 5 times what it does in Ton Sai (and wasn't nearly as nice). Trips to islands are 30% to 50% more than what the other resorts charge - and lots more than what you can bargain for on the beach. All round I seldom felt I got good value for money - and that includes the room rate.

^ On the other hand when you did use their excursions you got quiet and fast long-tailed boats and little extras like beach mats and cold water.

There is piped muzak on the beach!!! They have these special speakers built into the sand FFS. Also piped into the restaurant at all times even breakfast. This is a personal pet hate, so it effectively prevented me from using all but the 2 furthest deck chairs on the beach.

^ Staff were very friendly and helpful in general and were nicely outfitted in uniforms appropriate to their jobs and the climate - everyone from the boatmen and gardeners to the office staff looked smart but relaxed in their outfits.

Some (mainly housekeeping) staff would greet us with "Have a Zeavola day" and all e-mails are signed with this greeting. ... does it mean? This must be some misguided PR consultant's brain child. Can't tell you how much it grates on me.

^ ^ ^ I have mentioned the architecture of the rooms and restaurant but feel I must make a special paragraph to do it justice. And to add the design of the reception area. This is definitely an issue of personal taste, but I loved the architecture throughout. It is understated and in an airy, SE Asian timber style. Thoroughly Thai, but with clean lines and not in any way tacky or gratuitously derivative. The resort entrance itself is so demurely signed it is impossible to see as you arrive by boat.

To sum up: Expensive with plenty of nice aspects. If you can get a good rate and cope with mozzies and muzak you should love it. If you like privacy or prefer your resorts more in touch with the sea you might be disappointed. I doubt I will ever stay on Phi Phi again. But if you forced me to stay on Laem Tong beach Zeavola would have to be a lot cheaper to tempt me back.

(Slightly OT: When we left a middle aged Dutch couple were also on the speedboat. Turns out they had booked for 4 nights but were leaving after 2 citing prices of everything, mozzies and lack of things to do. They also grumbled about the bedside lamps and lack of privacy. A staff member who used to greet us effusively - almost offensively in-your-face - at times was also on the boat. When his question as to how they had enjoyed their stay didn't produce the glowing report he obviously expected he fobbed them off and spent the rest on the journey jabbering into his cell phone. Apart from the fact that he is a self-absorbed incompetent, in a way he represents part of what is wrong at Zeavola: they so firmly believe their own marketing BS that they aren't listening to their customers.)

So much for my "short review" . Bet you can't wait for the full trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.