Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scams ... an ounce of prevention

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Scams ... an ounce of prevention

There is another thread here describing scams in Bangkok and Thailand.
I wish to start a new thread on how to avoid scams ... an ounce of prevention rather than a pound of cure.

Reading thru the thread about scams I started wondering why so many travellers to Bangkok are the targets of taxi scams and street hustlers, but I am not.
I live in Bangkok, in the middle of one of the foreigner districts.
I walk, shop and take taxis almost every day.
You would think that this middle-age, Caucasian, man would be a prime target for scammers and hustlers.
Yet, they approach me very rarely, but some other people report frequent problems.
Why?

Here are the causes that I have observed.
Each observation can be transformed into a tactic for survival in the city.
I hope other readers will add more.

When I see tuk-tuk drivers (mostly all scammers) or other street hustlers approaching Westerners here, I carefully observe the "mark".
  • Most of the marks wear T-shirts, usually with something printed on the front.
  • They usually wear 3/4 length pants cut off just below the knee, or shorts, and often with cargo pockets.
  • They often wear Teva-type sandals, with no socks.
  • They often have a knapsack, usually a small day-pack.
  • Some carry a map or a guidebook, grasped firmly in hand.
  • And some of the men have unkempt hair, perhaps not long hair, but long overdue for a haircut.
All of those factors are like a flashing neon sign attracting scammers.

I prefer to avoid offering temptation to scammers and street hustlers.
I simply don't want that aggravation as I go about my errands in the city.
So, I've adopted these tactics:
  • Shirts with buttons down the front, in muted colors - never a T-shirt.
  • Proper trousers, never shorts or 3/4 length pants, and no cargo pockets.
  • Conventional shoes and socks, rather than sandals.
  • Never carry a knapsack.
  • To carry something, use either a plastic bag from a local store, a modest briefcase in soft-side style, or a common "bicycle messenger bag" over my shoulder.
  • To refer to a map, step into a shop doorway, out of view of the street.
  • Get haircuts regularly.
Bottom line: Using these tactics I almost never even get approached by scammers or street hustlers.
When they have approached me, it has been in a half-hearted way, as if they already realize I am not a juicy mark.
It is easy to ignore them and walk away.

Side note:
Any readers who travel Kaosan Road class, will conclude that in that backpacker ghetto of Bangkok my tactics would stand out, not blend in.
Correct ... but the few times I've gone to Kaosan Road, even there, the many street hustlers avoid me.

I hope these comments are helpful to other travellers coming to Bangkok.
And I'd like to see more observations and additional tactics from other travellers.

- Peter

Last edited by Peter4; Nov 12, 2006 at 4:35 am
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajc1970
typically i wear jeans and shirts that are slightly better than t-shirts along with Tevas while walking in BKK. but the last 2 days i was doing some pseudo-business in BKK so i wore business-casual (slacks & collared, long-sleeve shirts that could be worn with suits, and block socks with black dress shoes).

i walked by a number of the "Amazing Thailand" "survey" students and indian tailors and not 1 of them stopped me to take a "survey" or buy a suit. that has NEVER happened to me before. both groups always hassle me (the tailors never giving up until i'm rude, the students relinguishing after a polite lie of "no thank you, i live here" in thai).
This experience from ajc1970 was posted on another thread in the Thailand forum.
It also fits in here perfectly.

- Peter
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:02 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Moderators: Peter4 has more than sufficiently covered this topic in the other thread he noted at the beginning of his first post in this thread. The entire point of the original "Scams in Bangkok & Thailand" thread is surely not to promote scams but how to avoid them. The second post in this thread is nothing but another cross-post--of what someone else wrote.

Consolidating this thread with the other seems appropriate.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Moderators: Peter4 has more than sufficiently covered this topic in the other thread he noted at the beginning of his first post in this thread. ...[snip]... Consolidating this thread with the other seems appropriate.
A reasonable point.
However, my objective in starting a separate thread was to focus on solutions, rather than endless complaining about problems.

Again and again, I read and hear that the number one, most common problem for travellers to Bangkok is the petty scams.
I'd like to do what I can to alleviate that major obstacle to enjoyment of a visit to Thailand.
In the absence of coherent law enforcement here, the best way is to share knowledge and solutions among travellers.
I hope MegatopLover will add some of his own ideas.

-- Peter

Last edited by Peter4; Nov 11, 2006 at 12:35 pm
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Peter4
Side note:
Any readers who travel Kaosan Road class, will conclude that in that backpacker ghetto of Bangkok my tactics would stand out, not blend in.
Correct ... but the few times I've gone to Kaosan Road, even there, the many street hustlers avoid me.

I hope these comments are helpful to other travellers coming to Bangkok.
And I'd like to see more observations and additional tactics from other travellers.

- Peter
Its interesting that when I was on/near Khao San Road that it actually was the only place were I wasn't scammed much at all.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good points made here, and probably applicable in many other countries (even Western) countries here. It seems like Americans are generally very casual when they travel, and dress and act that way. For that reason, it's very easy to spot an "easy mark" American. Perhaps it's engrained in the American psyche that Americans are the best (or something) so it's a good thing to stand out in a crowd and proclaim as American, when in fact, it may very well land you in hot water with scammers, and in some locales, subject you to danger as well.

That's why I try to blend in, and not stand out so much. The fanny packs, knapsacks and sandals (why do Americans insist on wearing sandals when it's warm anyway?) are a dead giveaway. Consider yourselves warned!
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Last time I was in Bangkok, I walked to meet a friend at the Oriental while carrying a copy of the Bangkok Post that I'd picked up from my hotel - it definitely felt like I got less pestered carrying a local (albeit English language) newspaper.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickW
Last time I was in Bangkok, I walked to meet a friend at the Oriental while carrying a copy of the Bangkok Post that I'd picked up from my hotel - it definitely felt like I got less pestered carrying a local (albeit English language) newspaper.
That is a great idea.
Cheap pest control.
Thank you, NickW.

And that has me thinking...
What about carrying a Thai language newspaper?
If anyone speaks in Thai to you, no matter, just smile and keep on walking.
Cheap and strong pest control.

-- Peter
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:46 pm

I think a thai newspaper might just help actually. They would probably get scared away at once:P
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:07 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
Peter you make good points!

My experience -- don't speak anything to these people on the street. And if you are going to say anything, speak Thai. I know most visitors can't speak thai.

Learn these Thai words:
"Mai ow" -- No, don't want it.
"Mai chai" -- No.

Say them and nobody will bother you at all after that.

If you can't grasp those Thai words, then just say "NO" in English. Do not say anything else other than NO to all of their questions. Never shake anyone's hand who just comes up to you and wants to be friendly. Don't worry about being impolite, as they are the ones being impolite by bothering you on the street. This is unacceptable to come up to Thai people like that. Do not respond by saying "maybe later", or "oh, I don't know", as you can guarantee you will continue to be bothered. Learn the word no right away.

Oh, and it is mostly easy to avoid being ripped off by taxis in BKK. Never talk to the taxis waiting outside of hotels, or beside pat pong, etc. Just walk right past them. Always stop a taxi that is moving, get in, say your detination, and the taxi driver will turn on the meter. Don't expect this from a taxi sitting around soliting tourists. Oh, and it is not usual for Thais to tip taxi drivers, and when tipping is involved, it is usually just rounding up to the nearest 10B or 20B.

I'll stop blabbing for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.