Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Chiang Mai Hotels

Will be headed to Chiang Mai with wife and 6-month old for 8 nights in late December. While I have been to Bangkok and some other spots, never been to Chiang Mai. I was looking for some advice. Basically, we just plan to relax in the sun, do some shopping, eat some great Thai food, and get some relaxing Thai massages. Maybe throw in a little sightseeing too.

What part of Chiang Mai would be recommended to stay at? Any specific hotels that are reasonable and nice (under 1500 baht / night)? The main thing I want is to have a high speed internet connection in my room to enable me to use my laptop. In addition, a safety deposit box for my laptop and other valuables is necessary.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by capper
Will be headed to Chiang Mai with wife and 6-month old for 8 nights in late December. While I have been to Bangkok and some other spots, never been to Chiang Mai. I was looking for some advice. Basically, we just plan to relax in the sun, do some shopping, eat some great Thai food, and get some relaxing Thai massages. Maybe throw in a little sightseeing too.

What part of Chiang Mai would be recommended to stay at? Any specific hotels that are reasonable and nice (under 1500 baht / night)? The main thing I want is to have a high speed internet connection in my room to enable me to use my laptop. In addition, a safety deposit box for my laptop and other valuables is necessary.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you don't already have your hotel and flights or train tickets you might have a hard time doing so. The Royal Floral Exposition has attracted hundreds of thousands of Thai visitors to Chiang Mai from all over the Kindgom already since Nov. 1. This is scheduled to continue until Jan. 31, 2007.

Traffic is a mess, flights, trains, buses and hotels full. Tour operators here who cater to the foreign visitor to Chiang Mai are taking a beating because everything is full. Don't even think about coming on a weekend.

Just the facts,
Randy and Ning
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:59 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Just today I booked a flight to Chiang Mai for a Friday in mid-January returning on the Monday to BKK with no problem, but I wonder if this is why I'm finding room rates to be so very high. The boutique hotels I'm looking at have rooms (probably not on the tour operator circuit), they're just much more than I usually expect in Thailand.

So any advice on avoiding the great numbers of people expected? And is the flower exhibition something I should get to? (just looked at the website ... will definitely have to ooh and awww over the orchids.)

Edited to add: Just read about the floral exhibit on your great advice thread. I will contact you about tickets.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 26, 2006 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:44 am
Original Poster

We have our flights but now need to book a hotel. If anyone has advice, please...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.