Thailand reverses decision - open to unvaccinated 9 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand reverses decision - open to unvaccinated 9 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
It doesn't appear that there is any requirement that the vax be within a specified timeframe...correct? I mean, it has to be at least 14 days before your trip but it doesn't appear that if you were vaxed a year+ ago then it is fine?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mcgahat
It doesn't appear that there is any requirement that the vax be within a specified timeframe...correct? I mean, it has to be at least 14 days before your trip but it doesn't appear that if you were vaxed a year+ ago then it is fine?
Thats is the way that most people are interpreting it.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:31 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Exclamation Reciprocity measures against Thailand to come - hope I am wrong

Originally Posted by estnet
many unvax now left with big problems!
The BIG problems are only about to start: Holidaymakers returning from Thailand may quicker than we think be required to provide a negative PCR test before being able to return home (US, UK, Schengen space). And THIS will be the final hit for Thai tourism.

Especially younger professionals can not afford taking this risk being blocked in Thailand. Just two more acquantances of mine canceling their trip for February. They are all vaccinated, but fear new measures (and contagion from the Chinese coming for their New Year.)
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Nothing in Timatic yet. Wonder how long it takes to get that updated?
I was wondering the same thing -

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yes - vaccinated 2 years ago -meet the requirements - good to go (clearly this policy has nothing to do with science/reason)

Originally Posted by behuman
The BIG problems are only about to start: Holidaymakers returning from Thailand may quicker than we think be required to provide a negative PCR test before being able to return home (US, UK, Schengen space). And THIS will be the final hit for Thai tourism.

well, there are certainly lots of bad scenarios that one can imagine

Especially younger professionals can not afford taking this risk being blocked in Thailand. Just two more acquantances of mine canceling their trip for February. They are all vaccinated, but fear new measures (and contagion from the Chinese coming for their New Year.)
Yes, a 2 day notice for a major change is certainly confidence inspiring (NOT) - and all those unsold masks sitting around may find a new life

What a sad state of affairs -
mcgahat, joorinainen and ewoo like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:49 am

I would just wait for the official Timatic information instead of making assumptions based on a bloggers posts.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by joorinainen
I would just wait for the official Timatic information instead of making assumptions based on a bloggers posts.
May be too late Thailand flights | COVID-19 travel requirements | Qantas
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I do not see the fuss. When I apply for a visa to go to some countries, I face a lot of hassle and they tell me it is a privilege to travel to their country and I have to fulfill all their requirements. Now Thailand is asking for a vaccine certificate only (while some countries are asking for even PCR tests from China) and some guys are in an uproar. It is their country and their requirements.
SKT-DK, nk15 and eccentricfusion like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:18 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I do not see the fuss. When I apply for a visa to go to some countries, I face a lot of hassle and they tell me it is a privilege to travel to their country and I have to fulfill all their requirements. Now Thailand is asking for a vaccine certificate only (while some countries are asking for even PCR tests from China) and some guys are in an uproar. It is their
country and their requirements.
Put yourself in the position of someone who has just spent £10,000 on a holiday next week who now cannot travel because they did not get vaccinated. Seriously, you still think that’s okay?

Countries require Visas and entry requirements, but not with 2 days notice.
JNelson113 and behuman like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by JD1905
Put yourself in the position of someone who has just spent £10,000 on a holiday next week who now cannot travel because they did not get vaccinated. Seriously, you still think that’s okay?

I accept that the notice is way too short and the entry requirements has been made in other countries too. Some countries require a negative PCR test now from travelers from China.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by JD1905

A week should be plenty of time to produce a doctors notice with their medical reason for not getting vaccinated.
Davvidd likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 7, 2023 at 11:58 pm Reason: To comply with rule 12.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:25 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Bajdkotb
A week should be plenty of time to produce a doctors notice with their medical reason for not getting vaccinated.
A week isn’t 2 days is it? Doctors in Europe have never provided letters. I’d love to see the “science” behind the efficacy of vaccines administered 2 years ago 😂.
ewoo likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 8, 2023 at 12:17 am Reason: Align quote with mod edit, rule 12, OMNI/PR.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:16 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bajdkotb
The point here is that you didn't need a medical reason last week. Many people won't have one, but will have exercised their personal right not to be vaccinated. You, I and anyone else can think that's not the right decision for them, but it'll be one based on the likely consequences of how countries react a long while on from the peak of the issues.

Can you get a pre-departure test in almost every country in the world at a couple of days' notice? Yes, usually with not too much effort. That's why so many other countries have tried to stem the flow of infected people travelling from China by taking that emergency approach.

Can you get vaccinated? Impossible. In the UK, for example, you'd probably even struggle to get an appointment within the timescale, let alone the second dose and effectivity time. (Incidentally, good luck getting a Doctor's note through the NHS as well.)

This doesn't appear at all proportionate.
JNelson113, LETTERBOY and ewoo like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I am not entirely sure why many here make it sound like there is a sort of blanket ban on unvaccinated travellers..

According to the CAAT, everyone travelling to the country from Sunday must show proof of full vaccination or a letter certifying that they have recovered from Covid-19 infections no more than six months prior. Unvaccinated travellers must have proof of why they cannot receive a vaccine.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...lers-confirmed

And before people kick off, this post does not mean that I necessarily agree with the measures.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:26 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
This doesn't appear at all proportionate.
And in the case of a vaccine 2 years ago altogether useless. Only sensible approach would be pre departure PCR test for all or selected countries of origin or / and random or targeted on arrival testing (as the Chileans did with success).

This is not about being efficient, but about calming the own populace without disgruntling too much the CCP.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I am not entirely sure why many here make it sound like there is a sort of blanket ban on unvaccinated travellers..

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...lers-confirmed

And before people kick off, this post does not mean that I necessarily agree with the measures.
Because it effectively is?

Perhaps you're unaware, but again using the UK as an example, the only way to get a recovery document is to have a confirmed PCR test (and even when that was an option, many countries didn't accept the generic NHS option in the UK app). There are now essentially no free public PCR tests to achieve that, and everything is chargeable. It's pretty unlikely someone would have the foresight, on testing positive on a LFT, that they should rush out and pay for a commercial PCR (and subsequently a private health professional's note) to verify it because in 5 months from then Thailand would impose this restriction with near zero notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.