Wiki Posts
Search

Stored value transit cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Stored value transit cards

What is the current status of a unified rechargeable smart card for MRT/BTS? When I was last in BKK (4 years ago) I had a Rabbit card, but that was only for one of the systems (don't remember which).

Thx for your insight - we are arriving this weekend and trying to make some plans.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 7, 2022 at 5:56 pm Reason: Adjusting as part of move.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:59 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I don’t think any progress has been made on a unified card. Rabbit is part of the BTS (skytrain) system.

You now need to register the cards with your passport details to buy/recharge so bring it along.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
What is the current status of a unified rechargeable smart card for MRT/BTS? When I was last in BKK (4 years ago) I had a Rabbit card, but that was only for one of the systems (don't remember which).

Thx for your insight - we are arriving this weekend and trying to make some plans.
No progress on it sadly - still different systems. Rabbit for BTS and the blue (nameless?) one for MRT.

Originally Posted by yosithezet

You now need to register the cards with your passport details to buy/recharge so bring it along.
Funny thing is, it seems like only the Rabbit needs to be registered. Hence, why I am not using it anymore on my very rare trips on the BTS. I am still able to use my MRT card which has not been registered.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
The Airport Link card also does not have to be registered (since you can't buy anything at a 7/11 with it ).

It seems easy to register a Rabbit Card these days. The agents don't take it as seriously as before, esp. compared to when it was first required. Once registered, it's easy now to top up at machines at most stations, unlike before when the agents had to top up at most stations.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.