Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand -22/01 - 11/02 - Advice needed on itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thailand -22/01 - 11/02 - Advice needed on itinerary

Hello everyone,

I will reach Bangkok from 22/01 and leave the same city from 11/02. So I was wondering if you guys can share some advice on itinerary.
My focus would be more on laid back nature, nature, good food, beach, islands, snorkeling.
Less emphasis on big crowds, too touristic and too crowded places.

So I am thinking;
  • Bangkok (maybe 2 days)
  • Ayutthaya ( 1 day trip)
  • Chang Mai (flight to there and then 2-3 days)
  • Phuket (flight there. excellent base to go to different islands)

It is from Phuket that I am bit stuck on going deciding on which other locations. I am thinking of visiting the different island; for the beaches, snorkeling and visit the local flora and fauna. I don't think it is necessary to go to the east coast islands, so to avoid additional travelling. West coast islands should be just fine.

The question is which islands?

So my idea is
  • Phuket (several days)
  • Phi Phi (day trip or overnight or longer days?)
  • Similan Islands (day trip or overnight or longer days?)
  • Krabi - for nature and backpacking etc (several days)
  • Then after Krabi, fly back to Bangkok, which the next day flight back to home.

So what do you guys think? Should I add more islands or locations? Is staying several days as Phuket, PhiPhi etc ok for just too long. I have in total approximately 20 days to spend.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Similan: overnight is not very convenient as that's a national park without comfortable accommodations. It is particular interesting for scuba diving, ev. also snorkeling. So if you are not into that, I would skip
Krabi is not an island but an entire province....you can take your own long tail and visit superb beaches not accessible by cars like Railay, Phranang, Tonsai and islands like Thalee Waek, Ko Poda, Chicken island etc. also do not miss the famous Tiger Cave Temple, a nice climb up with a awsome view over the bay of Krabi
I would also recommend a trip to the Phangnga bay with James Bond island, Panyee island, caves and plenty of impressive limestone rocks rising in mangrove forest
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Everything BinSabai said with the addition of suggesting Rayavadee for accommodation in Krabi
BinSabai and Ghoulish like this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Hey,

thanks everyone.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I would maybe spend one or two days more in BKK if it's your first time.You could head North from Phuket to Khao Lak where you can also get to the Similans and Khao Sok.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ghostdog78
Hey,

thanks everyone.
you are welcome
let us know, if you have some further questions
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:10 am

Programs: BA, AS, OZ
Originally Posted by Ghostdog78
Hello everyone,

I will reach Bangkok from 22/01 and leave the same city from 11/02. So I was wondering if you guys can share some advice on itinerary.
My focus would be more on laid back nature, nature, good food, beach, islands, snorkeling.
Less emphasis on big crowds, too touristic and too crowded places.

So I am thinking;
  • Bangkok (maybe 2 days)
  • Ayutthaya ( 1 day trip)
  • Chang Mai (flight to there and then 2-3 days)
  • Phuket (flight there. excellent base to go to different islands)

It is from Phuket that I am bit stuck on going deciding on which other locations. I am thinking of visiting the different island; for the beaches, snorkeling and visit the local flora and fauna. I don't think it is necessary to go to the east coast islands, so to avoid additional travelling. West coast islands should be just fine.

The question is which islands?

So my idea is
  • Phuket (several days)
  • Phi Phi (day trip or overnight or longer days?)
  • Similan Islands (day trip or overnight or longer days?)
  • Krabi - for nature and backpacking etc (several days)
  • Then after Krabi, fly back to Bangkok, which the next day flight back to home.

So what do you guys think? Should I add more islands or locations? Is staying several days as Phuket, PhiPhi etc ok for just too long. I have in total approximately 20 days to spend.
You've probably made plans by now since this was posted a number of months back. Since you mentioned you're interested in places with less crowd, more laid back, and not so touristy, I want to point out that the places already suggested are extremely touristy, as you're probably aware. That being said, I'm adding a few tips here for avoiding crowds at some of these sites.
- For visiting the limestone formations and hong-type islands off Phang Nga Bay etc., consider basing yourself from either of the Koh Yao (Noi/Yai) as you'd be in a better position to get to some of the sites before other day trippers and/or hanging out at some places past the day-trip crowds. Many ferries between Phuket-Krabi will also stop to pick up passengers here, so you can plan this on the back side of your Phuket itinerary on the way to Krabi, for example.
- Phi Phi sites, the best way to see the famous sites there is to sail to Phi Phil and anchor in a secluded cove (the main island is way over developed) and get to the sites early morning. This is something that can be organized from Phuket as most trips like this will depart from the marina at the southern part of Phuket island. They usually include visits/stops along the way for snorkeling and beach picnic as it's quite a bit of a distance.
- If you have several days to spend in Krabi province and you're interested in flora and fauna. Check out Thale Noi in Phattalung (will require at least an overnight as you go there for the sunrise longtail boat tour). February is especially a good time to visit there. And logistically you could fly back out to BKK from HDY too without backtracking to Krabi if you choose to visit there.

Spending a few days in Bangkok is sufficient if you don't care to visit all the sites (exclusive of travel days) and assuming your Ayutthaya day trip is not part of the 2 days you have planned there. Although if you like food, there are so many good places to eat in the Bangkok area that having more time would be worthwhile. But if you do not like spending time in a busy metropolis, it makes sense to minimize the time there.

Re: Chiang Mai - have you thought about Chiang Rai? Not nearly as visited and just as beautiful if not more so imoh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.