Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Timatic: does a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timatic: does a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Award availability is rather scarce these days.
Booking an award with no intention of using it to travel prevents others who actually would like to do so.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Award availability is rather scarce these days.
Booking an award with no intention of using it to travel prevents others who actually would like to do so.
Agreed, but if it's just for a day in order to pass some boarding requirement, I think it's acceptable. One should do the polite thing and release the reservation once one has passed immigration of course.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Agreed, but if it's just for a day in order to pass some boarding requirement, I think it's acceptable. One should do the polite thing and release the reservation once one has passed immigration of course.
I think the point was that, due to scarcity, award bookings generally need to be made far into the future, so your point of "if it is just for a day..." does not really hold up.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I think the point was that, due to scarcity, award bookings generally need to be made far into the future, so your point of "if it is just for a day..." does not really hold up.
Why not? How does whether award bookings need to be made far into the future or not negate my point?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Why not? How does whether award bookings need to be made far into the future or not negate my point?
Why? If you need to book said award ticket 100 days in advance due to availability, only to cancel it on day 0, you would obviously deprive someone else of that availability for 100 days... Your point sounds like assuming that you can just book on the day, then cancel an hour later and voila - done... That's sadly not the way award travel works.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Why? If you need to book said award ticket 100 days in advance due to availability, only to cancel it on day 0, you would obviously deprive someone else of that availability for 100 days... Your point sounds like assuming that you can just book on the day, then cancel an hour later and voila - done... That's sadly not the way award travel works.
It's not? If I at 10 am on day 1 have booked an award ticket for travel on day 20 (or any other day within the 30 day time window required here), I cannot simply cancel that ticket 12 hours later at 10pm on the same day 1?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by stargold
How anyone can ever think that using a fake ticket for immigration purposes is a good idea is completely beyond me. Yes, the probability of being discovered is relatively low, but the consequences are potentially brutal.
They're not fake tickets. They are real future bookings that the organiser will cancel/be refunded for later, and the PNR can be checked on the airline website or GDS.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
No more than 90 days total in any 6 month period?

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
This is what the Thai embassy sent in response to my inquiry.

Aliens who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme and would like to leave and re-enter the Kingdom will be able to stay for a cumulative duration not exceeding 90 days and the duration shall be within a 6 months from the date of first entry.
Are there any reports of the above clause being enforced, even pre-Covid? It is not something easily computed by an immigration official looking at passports, whereas a computer could more easily keep a tally (though it's a rolling 6 months). Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by kevino
Are there any reports of the above clause being enforced, even pre-Covid? It is not something easily computed by an immigration official looking at passports, whereas a computer could more easily keep a tally (though it's a rolling 6 months). Thanks in advance for your help.
This was something that only applied for a brief period of time, before being discarded and it no longer applies. I cannot remember when it applied, but it was long before Covid19. It is of course unfortunate that some embassies have still not updated their information.
kevino and BinSabai like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
This was something that only applied for a brief period of time, before being discarded and it no longer applies. I cannot remember when it applied, but it was long before Covid19. It is of course unfortunate that some embassies have still not updated their information.
Thank you!

Including the Thai Embassy. I also see it on the US State Dept. site.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by kevino
The enforcement of the 90 days per 180 rule has gone off and on since at least 2008. It's always been meant to empower immigration officers to selectively deny entry and not as a blanket policy. It's an anachronism from times when Thailand felt itself over-populated with permanent tourists. I can't imagine it being enforced at all now, since Thailand is suffering from the polar opposite condition.

If you're concerned about possibly being denied entry, just go get a tourist visa (or any other visa for which you qualify), since the policy only applies to visa exempt entries.
kevino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.