Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Timatic: does a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

does anybody have a wording/link of/to Timatic or any legal or at least reliable source for which cases a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

just to proof that it is not needed for Non O visas and its extension of stay with reentry permit

for visa exemption, visa on arrival and tourist visas, it is needed...
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by BinSabai
does anybody have a wording/link of/to Timatic or any legal or at least reliable source for which cases a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

just to proof that it is not needed for Non O visas and its extension of stay with reentry permit

for visa exemption, visa on arrival and tourist visas, it is needed...
As it does not apply to me I do not know with 100% certainty the answer. There is some information in the below link. You could ask on a forum such as asean now. Probably you would receive many answers; some opinions, some experiences and probably at least one from a knowledgeable person that answers your question.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/publicservice/issuance-of-visa
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

For my one data point, I flew in from Malaysia two weeks ago; no one at KUL nor BKK asked me for an onward ticket. US passport.

​​​​​I don't think I've ever been asked for an onward ticket (i.e. leaving Thailand) in my ~30 visits.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
For my one data point, I flew in from Malaysia two weeks ago; no one at KUL nor BKK asked me for an onward ticket. US passport.

​​​​​I don't think I've ever been asked for an onward ticket (i.e. leaving Thailand) in my ~30 visits.
maybe because they saw the return flight on your booking/ticket/itinerary in their system....

As my flight back to Thailand is usually the last flight of my ticket, out of my hundreds of flights back to Thailand during the last 26 years, I habe been asked probably in 5-10% of all those flights to show an onward/return flight or a visa
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's needed for some visas, my worry would be that an airline GA might not permit someone to board without some sort of onward ticket even if the rules don't require this.

In practice, I suspect that enforcement when entering Thailand depends on whether your nationality and routing are commonly associated with overstays in Thailand.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's needed for some visas, my worry would be that an airline GA might not permit someone to board without some sort of onward ticket even if the rules don't require this.

In practice, I suspect that enforcement when entering Thailand depends on whether your nationality and routing are commonly associated with overstays in Thailand.
it is usually said (in Forums, visa agency or visa expert website, legal website) that you need return/onward flight when entering with visa exemption, visa on arrival, tourist visa; and that it is not needed with longer term visa (family, retirement, working, Elite etc.) and their extension of stays...

enforcement is more at check in abroad (as airlines are liable for people rejected) than at immigration at Thailands airports
Davvidd likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BinSabai
maybe because they saw the return flight on your booking/ticket/itinerary in their system....

As my flight back to Thailand is usually the last flight of my ticket, out of my hundreds of flights back to Thailand during the last 26 years, I habe been asked probably in 5-10% of all those flights to show an onward/return flight or a visa
I've had one return ticket since 2004 ... and that was IN 2004. Nice try, buddy.
As I hinted at/and as was suggested above, it could have more to do with my passport.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I've had only one check in agent mistakenly ask me to show a return flight when I had a visa. I just replied that it didn't need a return ticket because a had a visa. The agent checked timatic and then agreed.

So while, I don't have a screenshot of the timatic entry, I'm reasonably confident the information is there.
Diplomatico and BinSabai like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Hypothetically speaking, if one were really worried about it, one might hypothetically use the services of onwardticket.com.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
On my first trip to Thailand I had an open jaw ticket returning from MNL. No questions asked 15 or more years ago.

More recently, they did give me a hard time at SIN when I arriving on UA and buying a ticket (using miles) to BKK while in flight. I was going to do the same for return, but after a little while when I showed them a few hundred dollars in cash and several credit cards that I was not going to become a burden in Thailand. North American passport about five years ago. Got the ticket for BKK-SIN using UA miles while in Thailand, and had no problems arriving BKK.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I've had one return ticket since 2004 ... and that was IN 2004. Nice try, buddy.
As I hinted at/and as was suggested above, it could have more to do with my passport.
so you have a diplomatic passport?

and no, i did not imply anything as 99% of foreigners flying to Thailand and not living there, have a return ticket...
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPACjv
I've had only one check in agent mistakenly ask me to show a return flight when I had a visa. I just replied that it didn't need a return ticket because a had a visa. The agent checked timatic and then agreed.

So while, I don't have a screenshot of the timatic entry, I'm reasonably confident the information is there.
so do I and that is what I am asking for...
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Hypothetically speaking, if one were really worried about it, one might hypothetically use the services of onwardticket.com.
that's not the issue as I flew hundreds of time already into Thailand without a return/onward ticket

I am just asking for a proof to end a discussion in another forum; sometimes some knowledgable guys here in FLT have quite some amazing sources....

Last edited by BinSabai; Aug 27, 2022 at 11:19 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I do not have the link, but I seem to remember others referring to the UA website where it should be possible to look up what TIMATIC says.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:23 am

Emirates' visa checking tool uses Timatic I believe. For a UK passport holder this is the result it gives:
Visa required.

Visa Exemptions:

Passengers with a British passport with nationality "British Citizen" or "British National (Overseas)" for a maximum stay of 30 days.

Additional Information:

ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas issued by Cambodia (marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand upon arrival in Thailand.

Visa exempt visitors older than 12 years must hold sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- per person or THB 40,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, Miscellaneous Charges Orders (MCO) or well-known credit cards, which are honored in Thailand.

Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers.

Warning:

Visa exempt nationals must have passports and passport replacing documents with at least half an unused visa page for entry/departure endorsements by the Thai Immigration Service.
My understanding/interpretation of the rule is that if you have any type of visa you don't need an onward booking, all other travellers do. Airline check in at your origin is where it'll be checked and not at immigration in Thailand. When I've discussed this with check in staff and pointed out the second last comment "Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers" they have changed their mind about the 30 day rule (it was a hypothetical discussion, I wasn't trying it).

Every discussion on the subject always has someone claiming they've entered 100s of times with no visa and no onward ticket. They're best ignored IMO.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.