Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Timatic: does a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timatic: does a foreigner need a return or onward ticket to enter Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:31 am

UA seems to be word for word the same as EK and references Timatic.

https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Emirates' visa checking tool uses Timatic I believe. For a UK passport holder this is the result it gives:

My understanding/interpretation of the rule is that if you have any type of visa you don't need an onward booking, all other travellers do. Airline check in at your origin is where it'll be checked and not at immigration in Thailand. When I've discussed this with check in staff and pointed out the second last comment "Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers" they have changed their mind about the 30 day rule (it was a hypothetical discussion, I wasn't trying it).

Every discussion on the subject always has someone claiming they've entered 100s of times with no visa and no onward ticket. They're best ignored IMO.
thanks!
so it does not get any clearer on the subject...
Your understanding/interpretation might be widely shared, but there are some visa service(legal sites that state, a return/onward ticket is also needed for tourist visas as their extension is somehow limited to one time 30/45 days
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks!
so it does not get any clearer on the subject...
Your understanding/interpretation might be widely shared, but there are some visa service(legal sites that state, a return/onward ticket is also needed for tourist visas as their extension is somehow limited to one time 30/45 days
My experience of some of the visa service/legal sites is that they are not entirely accurate, whether due to ignorance or just being out of date I don't know. I certainly wouln't trust many of them.

The Timatic wording seems pretty clear to me and that's what we need to go by to get past check in. The only grey area is check in staff accepting the extension sentence in the same way the one I talked to did and that would be enough (for me) not to risk it.

I can't recall hearing of anyone with a tourist visa being refused travel due to lack of an onward flight.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I also can only share my personal experience, but I have never had to show any onward / return ticket upon flying to Thailand either. Thinking about it, the only times I have come close (and I think the question is related) were in Japan (JAL check-in) and ARN (on QR) where I was asked if I have a visa/residency permit/etc.

This leads me to think that if you have a LT visa (non-tourist, as requirement for tourist visas for those who need includes submitting a return flight with your application), that requirement goes away. I remember back in the days that when I got my ST business visa, I did have to submit return flights, but that went away upon conversion to LT Non-B.

I am travelling TH-xxx-TH, so like BinSabai, I would not necessarily have an outbound flight booked. This is on a LT Non-B visa on a visa exempt passport (for tourist purposes that is)
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BinSabai
maybe because they saw the return flight on your booking/ticket/itinerary in their system....

As my flight back to Thailand is usually the last flight of my ticket, out of my hundreds of flights back to Thailand during the last 26 years, I habe been asked probably in 5-10% of all those flights to show an onward/return flight or a visa
Sure you were, because the only way to depart Thailand, a country bordered by multiple tourist destination countries, is via air 🙄
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Sure you were, because the only way to depart Thailand, a country bordered by multiple tourist destination countries, is via air 🙄
Surface travel is not acceptable when arriving by air and trying to satisfy the onward travel requirement.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ft101
Surface travel is not acceptable when arriving by air and trying to satisfy the onward travel requirement.
This is what the Thai embassy sent in response to my inquiry. TLDR they can request to see some sort of ticket booked prior to arrival proving departure, but it doesn't need to be by air. Whether an airline superimposes or misinterprets the requirements is possible I suppose. One could also obtain a tourist visa prior to arrival without proof of onward travel. All that said, several dozen trips on one way tickets, JAL and ANA have never asked for proof of return.

Passport holders of the countries listed below are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for TOURISM and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days each visit.

If entering Thailand at immigration checkpoints which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), the permitted period of stay will be 15 days each visit. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each visit. If planning to stay in Thailand for longer than the permitted period, a tourist visa must be obtained before entering Thailand.

Aliens who enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme and would like to leave and re-enter the Kingdom will be able to stay for a cumulative duration not exceeding 90 days and the duration shall be within a 6 months from the date of first entry. Passports or travel documents must be valid for at least 6 months upon the date of first entry.

Aliens entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme must provide proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Aliens entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption scheme are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days after the date of arrival, otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained beforing entering Thailand.

The Tourist Visa Exemption scheme only applies to aliens holding passports issued by the countries listed below. Travel documents for aliens issued by these countries are not acceptable.
  1. Andorra (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  2. Australia
  3. Austria
  4. Bahrain
  5. Belgium
  6. Brazil*
  7. Brunei Darussalam
  8. Canada
  9. Czech Republic
  10. Denmark
  11. Estonia
  12. Finland
  13. France
  14. Germany
  15. Greece
  16. Hong Kong**
  17. Hungary
  18. Iceland
  19. Indonesia
  20. Ireland
  21. Israel
  22. Italy
  23. Japan
  24. Korea (ROK)*
  25. Kuwait
  26. Latvia (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  27. Leichtenstein
  28. Lithuania (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  29. Luxembourg
  30. Malaysia
  31. Maldives (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  32. Mauritius (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  33. Monaco
  34. The Netherlands
  35. New Zealand
  36. Norway
  37. Oman
  38. Peru*
  39. Philippines
  40. Poland
  41. Portugal
  42. Qatar
  43. San Marino (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  44. Singapore
  45. Slovak
  46. Slovenia
  47. Spain
  48. South Africa
  49. Sweden
  50. Switzerland
  51. Turkey
  52. Ukraine (effective as of 14 April 2019)
  53. United Arab Emirates
  54. United Kingdom
  55. United States of America
  56. Vietnam**
Remarks:

* Nationals of Brazil, Republic of Korea and Peru are entitled for tourist visa exemption scheme. Meanwhile, Thailand also holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of diplomatic, official and ordinary passports for a visit of not exceeding 90 days with Brazil, Republic of Korea and Peru.

** Nationals of Vietnam and Hong Kong SAR are entitled for tourist visa exemption scheme. Meanwhile, Thailand also holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of diplomatic, official and ordinary passports for a visit of not exceeding 30 days with Vietnam and Hong Kong SAR.

Countries which have Concluded Agreements on the Exemption of Visa Requirements with Thailand

I. DIPLOMATIC/OFFICIAL or SERVICE/SPECIAL PASSPORTS The following countries have concluded agreements with Thailand on the exemption of visa requirements for holders of diplomatic/official or service/special passports. Such passport holders are permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding 30 or 90 days as follow (as of 18 September 2017):

30 DAYS
  1. Cambodia
  2. Brunei Darussalam
  3. China
  4. Ecuador
  5. Hong Kong SAR
  6. Indonesia
  7. Kazakhstan
  8. Laos
  9. Macau SAR
  10. Mongolia
  11. Myanmar
  12. Oman
  13. Pakistan (Diplomatic Passports Only)
  14. Singapore
  15. Vietnam
90 DAYS
  1. Albania
  2. Argentina
  3. Austria
  4. Belarus
  5. Belgium
  6. Bhutan
  7. Brazil
  8. Chile
  9. Colombia
  10. Costa Rica
  11. Croatia
  12. Czech Republic
  13. Estonia (Diplomatic Passports Only)
  14. France (Diplomatic Passports Only)
  15. Germany
  16. Hungary
  17. India
  18. Israel
  19. Italy
  20. Japan
  21. Republic of Korea
  22. Liechtenstein
  23. Luxembourg
  24. Malaysia
  25. Mexico
  26. Montenegro
  27. Morocco
  28. The Netherlands
  29. Nepal
  30. Panama
  31. Peru
  32. The Philippines
  33. Poland
  34. Romania
  35. Russia Federation
  36. Serbia
  37. Slovak Republic
  38. South Africa
  39. Spain (Diplomatic Passports Only)
  40. Sri Lanka
  41. Switzerland
  42. Tajikistan
  43. Tunisia
  44. Turkey
  45. Ukraine
  46. Uruguay
II. ORDINARY PASSPORTS The following countries have concluded agreements with Thailand on the exemption of visa requirements for holders of ordinary passports. Such passport holders are permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding the following periods:

14 Days

30 Days

90 Days

Cambodia

Hong Kong SAR ***

Argentina

Myanmar
(only at international airports)

Lao PDR

Brazil

Macao SAR ***

Chile

Mongolia

Republic of Korea

Russian Federation

Peru

Vietnam

Remarks:

*** According to the Agreements on Exemption of Visa Requirements between Thailand and Hong Kong SAR, and between Thailand and Macau SAR, all types of Thai passports including diplomatic and official passports shall be exempted from visa requirements for a visit not exceeding 30 days to Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR.

เอกสารประกอบ

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 30, 2022 at 7:27 am
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
This is what the Thai embassy sent in response to my inquiry. <snip>
Good luck trying that in practice. Don't trust the MFA to tell you the RTP rules.
plunet likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
In all my years of BKK entry with one way tickets, I've never been asked for an onward ticket. But you never know... It's Thailand...
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've never been asked in Thailand, but on two occasions at the transfer point I was asked to show prof of onward travel.
First time I was flying on United IAD to LHR (not asked to show return flights), but at the LHR Thai Airways gate (when boarding started and they've scanned my ticket) I was pulled aside and asked to show prof. That time I was flying on two one way tickets. IAD-LHR-BKK paid ticket and on the return flight I had UA reward ticket in business on Thai and Lufthansa. I've showed it to them and was let on the flight.
Second time it was also two one way tickets. IAD-FRA-BKK and return on separate ticket via NRT. At FRA airport they were doing "document" checks before the flight and the agent asked to show them prof of return. That was 2017/2018 timeframe.
Besides those two times I don't think I ever went to Thailand on OW tickets.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not required but YMMV as usual.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:56 pm

Just to add another data point: when I entered Thailand two months ago my return was after 30 days. Somehow I'd half-forgotten about this since it's been a long time since I've entered without some sort of visa, and I planned to do a 30 day extension before my 30 days were over. I was stopped at the gate and politely explained I planned to extend my permission to stay while in Thailand. The GA consulted her computer, then said she would consult her supervisor. GA supervisor listened to my story, but told me they had no information about that and I would need to show an outbound ticket. It could be any kind of ticket. Bus, train, air, etc.,all would be fine for her.

When I say I'd half-forgotten about this requirement I mean that my TK ticket was changeable for free in the TK app, so at some point I thought that if I get a problem at the gate, I'd just temporarily change my return to some random day within 30 days of arrival. I was therefor a bit miffed to find out when trying to change my return at the gate, the TK app said changes were not allowed within 24 hours of departure, meaning I could not change my return either, which was about 45 days away at that time. Since I'd spent the previous few hours working/relaxing in the lounge, at that time it was approaching closing time for the gate, and I instead had to somewhat panically purchase the cheapest ticket I could find via AirAsia's not very good mobile app a few minutes before the gate closed.

In retrospect I should instead have booked a fully-refundable premium ticket on Thai airways or similar of course, rather than a never used ticket to Cambodia, but I didn't think of that till safely seated on the airplane a few minutes later. This also brings to mind whether there's any purpose in paying for fake "onward" tickets from those websites I've seen mentioned here, as unless you're in a position where you cannot afford waiting some weeks for a regular airline to refund you for the cheapest fully refundable ticket out of Thailand, it seems better to purchase a regular ticket and cancel it than to pay $10 (or whatever it is they charge) for a fake ticket, even if nobody notices the ticket is fake.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
In retrospect I should instead have booked a fully-refundable premium ticket on Thai airways or similar of course, rather than a never used ticket to Cambodia, but I didn't think of that till safely seated on the airplane a few minutes later. This also brings to mind whether there's any purpose in paying for fake "onward" tickets from those websites I've seen mentioned here, as unless you're in a position where you cannot afford waiting some weeks for a regular airline to refund you for the cheapest fully refundable ticket out of Thailand, it seems better to purchase a regular ticket and cancel it than to pay $10 (or whatever it is they charge) for a fake ticket, even if nobody notices the ticket is fake.
I suspect it was the explicit presence of a ticket beyond 30 days that caught their attention, and a lack of one altogether would have escaped scrutiny.

Good point on the fully refundable Thai Smile, Vietjet, or AirAsia tickets, given they can be had for $100 or less. I'm always a bit astonished when I buy tickets on those carriers for $25--$30 one way, including a hot meal.

FWIW AMEX Travel sells Thai Airways (Smile) tickets at a discount, which can be refunded within 24 hours of purchase, regardless of fare type.

Also, 30 day visa on arrival eligible countries are going to start getting 45 day visas beginning October 1st.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Or if you have status with an airline, you could have booked a last minute departure ticket with miles that you could cancel once you arrived safely.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:44 am

... it seems better to purchase a regular ticket and cancel it than to pay $10 (or whatever it is they charge) for a fake ticket, even if nobody notices the ticket is fake.
How anyone can ever think that using a fake ticket for immigration purposes is a good idea is completely beyond me. Yes, the probability of being discovered is relatively low, but the consequences are potentially brutal.

DL and AA (not sure about UA) have stopped charging redeposit fees on awards, so it's really just a matter of admin these days to issue an award ticket that you intend to cancel after getting into the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.