Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Cannabis is Thailand’s “secret weapon” to bring back tourists, health official says

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannabis is Thailand’s “secret weapon” to bring back tourists, health official says

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...

This is just one report and apparently one "health official" but I really hope they do not believe this.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/cann...-official-says
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Well this source is about as credible as the Daily Mail, so …
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Well this source is about as credible as the Daily Mail, so …
I will not disagree with that but good sources for info are hard to find anyplace these days. They did legalize though.....
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thailand is the type of country that would legalise it and then arrest people at the airport when they try to leave for smelling like it.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
From the OP:

"However, while cannabis cafes and shops have been popping up all over Thailand, the products won’t cause a ‘high’ as cannabis extracts with more than
0.2% of the psychoactive component tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, remain illegal."

By contrast, the cannabis that you buy in recreational shops in the US is around 20% THC, which is what cannabis "tourists" will be expecting.

Basically, it appears Thailand is misleading potential cannabis tourists by making it sound like Amsterdam....when in reality they're only "legalizing" hemp and CBD products.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
By contrast, the cannabis that you buy in recreational shops in the US is around 20% THC, which is what cannabis "tourists" will be expecting.

Basically, it appears Thailand is misleading potential cannabis tourists by making it sound like Amsterdam....when in reality they're only "legalizing" hemp and CBD products.
thanks for the view from an expert...

I see now neighbors (upper middle class Thais) planting cannabis in front of their house (for everybody visible), something they would have never done in the past....
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks for the view from an expert...

I see now neighbors (upper middle class Thais) planting cannabis in front of their house (for everybody visible), something they would have never done in the past....
Yeah, I think Thais are allowed to grow up to six plants per household.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Or... and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe they could just make it less painful to travel there and reduce the ridiculous red tape, programs, processes, etc.? I mean that might work too, no?

Regards
LETTERBOY, mcgahat and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Or... and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe they could just make it less painful to travel there and reduce the ridiculous red tape, programs, processes, etc.? I mean that might work too, no?

Regards
Yes. That is the obvious answer!!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Ah c'mon, that would be too easy, would it not?
On a serious note, I do think we will see further reductions in restrictions coming in the near future.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Seems odd to have lounge cafes for something if it doesn't have effects. It's doubtful anyone from Amsterdam or Denver would think it's any kind of big deal, so I'm guessing it's aimed at Asian and middle eastern nationalities that have had an even more draconian drug war than the U.S.

A number of states in the U.S. that haven't legalized recreational pot have had the hemp extracts like Delta-8 come out of nowhere and become a bigger & bigger business. The D8, aka "diet weed," does have an effect, and if it got out it'd probably catch on.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Are CBD edibles available in Thailand, given the new regulations?

I often take a CBD gummy to help me sleep at home (Canada). I would expect bringing my own in with me is somewhere between a bad idea and a terrible idea.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
I would expect bringing my own in with me is somewhere between a bad idea and a terrible idea.
I'd suggest that the idea of "bringing your own in" does not lie within the range you quote but is actually way beyond a terrible idea!
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
Are CBD edibles available in Thailand, given the new regulations?

I often take a CBD gummy to help me sleep at home (Canada). I would expect bringing my own in with me is somewhere between a bad idea and a terrible idea.
PM sent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.