Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 step verification and Schwab while living in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by riclagriclag
Don't ya have to have roaming if your only using it out of the country? I don;t want data I can use wifi ! I just want the phone# attached to a real network and not a voiP.. On several occations I had issues with banks and credit card companies while out of the country,,locking my card and one blocking access to their website( to many attempt to log in). I also lost my Viber of two years because they coudn't connect to the phone number I signed up with..
Yes roaming calls on Fi do cost .20 per minute. I guess I didn't make too many because I hardly noticed the impact on my bill.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riclagriclag
I called Tmobile that $3 plan is only domestic the rep said. The cheapest plan is $60
Yes, it looks like T-Mobile is discouraging this 2FA alternative with this plan.

Domestic use only

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-detail/pay-as-you-go

And have moved this sort of customer downstream to their MVNO providers like Ting.

Some MVNOs offer WiFi calling, which negates the requirement for international roaming, and delivers calls and texts over WiFi.

I know some folks here using Freedom Pop for 2FA.

Other options to investigate: AT&T's $2/day (only charged for days when used); H2O (still allows int'l texting).

Ting may well be the best option for you? $72/year plus minimal charges for SMS.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Yes, it looks like T-Mobile is discouraging this 2FA alternative with this plan.

Domestic use only

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-detail/pay-as-you-go

And have moved this sort of customer downstream to their MVNO providers like Ting.

Some MVNOs offer WiFi calling, which negates the requirement for international roaming, and delivers calls and texts over WiFi.

I know some folks here using Freedom Pop for 2FA.

Other options to investigate: AT&T's $2/day (only charged for days when used); H2O (still allows int'l texting).

Ting may well be the best option for you? $72/year plus minimal charges for SMS.
I looked at the comments and reviews of H20 past and present customers ,some weren't very satisfied with the service dept. but that's true for a lot of providers .Their plan doesn't cover roaming out side the country.. I don't remember if Freedom pop either didn't except GSM or they didn't offer roaming.
I just can't bare the thought of Ting jumping ship to go with Verizon on 12/20.,so I'm porting my number out to Mintmobile. They have a pay as you go plan and they will except my $30 GSM flip phone . Their plan ,$15 that covers roaming , 5 cents for txts and 25 cents pm for roaming international calls,Customers must buy $5,10,or 20 of minutes to have access to International calls. Incoming txt coming are free.They have a $10 plan but that's domestic only.. With taxes comes under $200 per year ,more than double of Ting..I'll bite the bullet for 1 year .I'll watch how Ting and Verizon roll out in 12/20

Last edited by riclagriclag; Jul 20, 2019 at 12:41 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:20 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Seems that you're making things more complicated than they need to be. Been here 3.5 years previously three years of Non-O retirement visas, but right now on a 30 day tourist changing to 90 day resident, then one year marriage visa (since I do my own visa app's,), and, yes, this is the first year they actually required the TM30. Use T-Mobile from US since I go to the US (as well as other countries where T-Mobile works fine) frequently and can receive calls from the US, plus free texts and 2G data here (on dtac,) and have a Thai number from True (package deal for about THB854 per month includes TV, 100 Mb internet plus Wifi spots and 1 Gb 4G data plus texts, calls are separate but cheap, on a dual SIM unlocked Samsung Galaxy phone. Use my US Citibank account here as their ATM's are free, and offer the best exchange (WSJ +$1MM Forex rates,) and a Thai bank for the THB40k per month transfered by wire. from the US. Line and Skype for international calls from my mobile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.