Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

2 step verification and Schwab while living in Thailand

Old Jul 12, 19, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to establish worry free access to my Schwab account with Internet banking and fee access to ATM machines while living in Thailand on a yearly marriage extension.

I just recently bought a cheap phone in the states and joined a phone network(Ting) that gives me a USA #,It charges $6 a month to join. I don't use data and I don't plan on calling the US on it. The best part is Txt messages to Thailand from the USA are free but the Ting guy said, the USA has to include a 1 in front of the area code.

My plan was to satisfy these banks who insist to send txt codes to verify their clients through txt message as opposed to codes being sent through email . If I could get away with it I prefer not giving them permission to send me txt messages period. They give a security token device (2 tier verification ) when you open a account,I have push notices shut off and txt on. They allow some alerts through email such as atm withdrawals, online purchases and POS purchases.

Besides the fact that I'll be wasting $72 a year, does this sound good that I left receiving txt on anyway when the phone is on ? Oh , forgot to mention ,I do have another phone that I use In Thailand with a Thai sim card. I use that locally 
Old Jul 12, 19, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't live in Thailand, but China is functionally the same as far as Schwab is concerned. I use Google Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer for all things Schwab that require voice or SMS. It is free, and works like a charm.
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use a combination of:

Google Voice
T-Mobile ($3/month)
Talkatone
SecureID Card
Fingerprint
email

For T-Mo, you'll have to enable international roaming. I connect here on AIS/2G for T-Mo purposes, and SMSes are delivered reliably.

You should consider porting some of your current numbers out to T-Mo, GV, etc.

You may have to use a VPN to access your accounts.

Some entities, like CPB.GOV, deliver OTP SMSes to Thai mobiles.

Last edited by transpac; Jul 12, 19 at 11:22 pm
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fyi, I think GV and Hangouts are essentially the same thing. I'm actually back in the US for most of the summer now, and rather than activating a US SIM, I decided to roam on my Unicom SIM and make all calls over data or WiFi. The roaming data only costs me around $10 per month, and call quality is quite good.
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

I think it was Capitalone sending a txt code to my google number! The code disappeared in a nano second. I asked the CR of CapOne ,she said thats a new security measure..My B of A won't recognize a VOIP number,Synchrony bank as well. You can google Hangouts will be discontinuing soon
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by riclagriclag View Post
I think it was Capitalone sending a txt code to my google number! The code disappeared in a nano second. I asked the CR of CapOne ,she said thats a new security measure..My B of A won't recognize a VOIP number,Synchrony bank as well. You can google Hangouts will be discontinuing soon
Add Chase and Barclay US who won’t send a code or SMS to a GV or a VOIP number.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have Cap1 and others call my GV number. It used to go to VM, but lately you have to answer it.

I also use TMO in most parts of the world. I can just have them sms to my US number.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Add Chase and Barclay US who won’t send a code or SMS to a GV or a VOIP number.
My GV number is a cell phone number that I've had for 22 years. Sometimes I port it back out to use on a SIM, and sometimes I keep it in Google. I haven't noticed any difference in functionally, and I'm curious as to how any system could identify VoIP because they aren't able to see what happens after they pass off or before they receive data.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
My GV number is a cell phone number that I've had for 22 years. Sometimes I port it back out to use on a SIM, and sometimes I keep it in Google. I haven't noticed any difference in functionally, and I'm curious as to how any system could identify VoIP because they aren't able to see what happens after they pass off or before they receive data.
I think it depends on how you originally got the number. My GV number is a native GV number, not a former cell number that I ported in. At least that is how Barclay explained it to me last week when I was trying to set up fraud alert texts on my Barclay card. The rep could clearly see mine as a VOIP number. She said if it had originally been a mobile/cell number, it would be fine but a true VOIP number was a no-go.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:15 am
Original Poster

You guys are missing my point ! Look at my post. It's asking about giving Schwab permission to txt me or any other bank,for that matter., Should I keep txt alerts off or on?
In the past I have been using GV but those days are coming to a end.. I would much prefer having the codes to verify who you are ,that are sent by email but thats changing as well . Look at Apple now , they are pushing a 2 step along with other institutions.. Schwab has voice verification, a device called a security token that you press and it gives you a number to add to your password.,secret questions and txt codes only sent through your registered phone. The only reason I like is that Schwab is Atm free they pay your fees domestic and international..My whole discussion is not being subjected to unnecessary scrutiny by the verification gods. .
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe OP's issue is moot on arrival.

As a current Schwab customer, I am able to complete the 2-step verification by receiving the code from email, like Chase.

Don't see the fuzz about the text message.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think GV is coming to an end (without a replacement)? The most recent update was just 12 hours ago.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I have Cap1 and others call my GV number. It used to go to VM, but lately you have to answer it.

I also use TMO in most parts of the world. I can just have them sms to my US number.
It looks like I will be giving them permission to txt me. . I asked the Ting network rep. about the prefix the banks must use to send a txt.He said they have to add a 1 in front of my number.,I heard of some banks totally anal about sending txt internationally.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think GV is coming to an end (without a replacement)? The most recent update was just 12 hours ago.
Didn't I just tell you to google it !
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/30/...-app-shut-down
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I believe OP's issue is moot on arrival.

As a current Schwab customer, I am able to complete the 2-step verification by receiving the code from email, like Chase.

Don't see the fuzz about the text message.
Maybe so but look at the comments of diversity

Search this Thread