Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
Drinking the water-safe?

Travelling to BKK and Pattaya.
Is it safe to drink the water?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By "safe" you mean non-deadly? And you mean tap-water?

Probably, at least in Bangkok - where the water quality has greatly improved over the last 15 years - but most Thai people I know get bottled water delivered, as do I, and use that for drinking, ice, and cooking. Tap water is fine for laundry, general household cleaning, showering.

Obviously, in a life/death situation I'd drink the water in Bangkok, 50-50 in Pattaya, maybe 0:100 after a flash storm?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
To clean your teeth it's OK but NO do not drink the water.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
No way is the tap water good enough to drink.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are some sites where you can monitor the water quality almost on a minute by minute basis.

Map

Tap water from the primary supply (streetside/at the meter) is probably safer than from inside any sort of establishment (home, office, hotel, etc.) because, for the most part, we pump water (up) into holding tanks, and then distribute it throughout the building. So the pump, holding tank, distribution pipes, even faucets can become contaminated quite easily.

Years ago the tap water here in Bangkok was pretty foul, both looking and smelling (sulphur). Now it seems pretty good, but again, highly dependent on location. The BMA is quite vast.

I don't drink tap water but have certainly swallowed some small amounts when brushing my teeth, no ill effects AFAIK.

Most Thais in my neighborhood get water delivered every week (and ice delivered daily), as do I (water). Some people cook with tap water, I don't.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:16 am

I would advise you not to use the water machines in the soi's as well i have never seen one being maintained. We buy 30x6 packs 2lt bottles of Singha water then you get 10 packs free delivered cost 1600 baht.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I use tap water to brush my teeth and to shower. I would never drink it. Water in 7-11 is very cheap, so why play with the unknown?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
In major hotel chains, you won't have any problems drinking tap water - from my experience. I'm talking Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc.

Otherwise, as others have said, it's safe to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth with tap water but for drinking purposes you'd want to choose bottled water.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I use tap water to brush my teeth and to shower. I would never drink it. Water in 7-11 is very cheap, so why play with the unknown?
Chuckling at the thought of someone "showering" with a bottle of water in a Bangkok hotel, lol.

(Edit to add: Yes, I served in the military where this was sometimes necessary.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jun 17, 2019 at 8:03 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tg911
I would advise you not to use the water machines in the soi's as well i have never seen one being maintained. We buy 30x6 packs 2lt bottles of Singha water then you get 10 packs free delivered cost 1600 baht.
Those might be 1.5L?

https://www.singhaonlineshop.com/2015/products/17

That's kind of the standard size here 750, 1.5, 6, 18.9.

And a lot of plastic.

Most delivery customers (home, business) opt for the 18.9 (5 gallon) bottles, which require a deposit but get re-used. That's what most Thais in my neighborhood do anyway. A few of us share a Sprinkle account, which bought out Nestle's home delivery system last year.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:26 am

^Yes sorry 1.5 liter bottles all the empty's are sold to a recycling man who goes around our area every week, get about 60 baht back for all the empty plastic bottles.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:24 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
At one serviced apartment we lived in they boiled water every day when they cleaned.

I wasn't comfortable with that because boiling takes out microorganisms but not particulates. So I lugged big 6 L bottles from 7-11 or whatever for drinking and tea.

In Hua Hin our homestay was equipped with water purifiers which, after some research, we decided to trust and use. No ill effects to report. ^
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Even in a friend's high-end condo in BKK, the tap water smells foul. I would not drink it.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think the Thai officials did a press conference a few years ago to declare the Bangkok water safe to drink, but I still wouldn't do it. They and other Thais probably have a lot more bacterial immunity. I probably get the runs nearly every time I go anyway, but much less fun is the more serious constant-pain bit where your immune system has to use all your energy to fight off whatever it is. That one can have you bedridden for a day or two and weakened for another day or two. I've had that maybe 7 times (including a shingles attack, but most were foodborne like the Bali belly). So that's the risk I usually weigh against the effort needed.

As for Pattaya, back in my first visit in 1992 the water was so yucky-brownish I took a picture to show people back home (alas, back in the film era...my greatest trips were in the last years of the film era).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tvhead
Even in a friend's high-end condo in BKK, the tap water smells foul. I would not drink it.
Could be the supply, but just as likely the entire building's water supply system is unmaintained and contaminated? Mold/mildew here grows in seconds.

Many people install multi-stage filtration systems, usually under the sink in the kitchen for home use. These cost a few baht per day, can be installed quite easily, have user-replaceable filters which can be ordered online. Your friend can go to HomePro for a selection. Simple really.

I haven't noticed any tap-water odors in years, but again, highly-dependent on location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.