Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Best airlines and membership programs in Southeast Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airlines and membership programs in Southeast Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AS - MVP Gold, Bonvoy - Silver, Star Citizen - Concierge
I prefer Bangkok Airways to Air Asia due to the extra fees Air Asia charges for pretty much everything vs Bangkok Airways. When you look at all the extra fees you get charged with Air Asia, sometimes Bangkok Airways is actually cheaper for what you get. Granted I have only flown Bangkok Airways 4 times now but have yet to see the free lounges crowded. Also I much prefer BKK over DMK due to Airport Rail Link access and overall facilities, brightness, architecture, stuff to look at, lack of backpackers sitting in circles on the floor going "chill bro", etc...
If you want to avoid queues, you could get fast track through https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html
Bangkok Flight Services ( https://www.bangkokflightservices.co...port-services/ ) used to offer fast track to economy passengers (which I used in April) but now it seems like they don't as of sometime last summer. It confuses me because both times I have flown business into bangkok I was given fast track passes by the airlines (Hainan and JAL).
CrazyInteg likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:16 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RoamingGeek
I prefer Bangkok Airways to Air Asia due to the extra fees Air Asia charges for pretty much everything vs Bangkok Airways. When you look at all the extra fees you get charged with Air Asia, sometimes Bangkok Airways is actually cheaper for what you get. Granted I have only flown Bangkok Airways 4 times now but have yet to see the free lounges crowded. Also I much prefer BKK over DMK due to Airport Rail Link access and overall facilities, brightness, architecture, stuff to look at, lack of backpackers sitting in circles on the floor going "chill bro", etc...
If you want to avoid queues, you could get fast track through https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html
Bangkok Flight Services ( https://www.bangkokflightservices.co...port-services/ ) used to offer fast track to economy passengers (which I used in April) but now it seems like they don't as of sometime last summer. It confuses me because both times I have flown business into bangkok I was given fast track passes by the airlines (Hainan and JAL).
I generally agree that Bangkok Airways is the 'better' airline: the advertise themselves a a 'boutique airline' and I generally agree. They will allow you to fudge carry-on limits. Even have a FC cabin on some planes.

But doing Air Asia with Premium Flex (which includes all available add-ons) is a very decent experience. Just doing a basic fare with Hot Seat is good.

Obviously a lot depends on route.

FWIW when we arrived into BKK on Hong Kong Airlines in business class we were given fast track passes.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously a lot depends on route.

If available I'll always default to PG over FD, I avoid DMK, and prefer BKK.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:40 pm

I typically avoid any low cost carrier where possible these days. The additional costs of food, luggage seating is just not worth it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I typically avoid any low cost carrier where possible these days. The additional costs of food, luggage seating is just not worth it.
I don't think that's true as a blanket statement.

Gotta do the math each time.

And it's situational: if you have no bags to check and don't want airline food there may be no or minimal fees on an LCC. Caveat emptor!

You also have to consider potential irrops. An LCC with hourly flights might trump a full-serve airline with once or twice daily service just based on the ability to get from A to B in case of irrops.

Don't get me wrong: I prefer to be on a full-service airline. But there are a lot more variables than price - which in and of itself is highly variable.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I don't think that's true as a blanket statement.

Gotta do the math each time.

And it's situational: if you have no bags to check and don't want airline food there may be no or minimal fees on an LCC. Caveat emptor!

You also have to consider potential irrops. An LCC with hourly flights might trump a full-serve airline with once or twice daily service just based on the ability to get from A to B in case of irrops.

Don't get me wrong: I prefer to be on a full-service airline. But there are a lot more variables than price - which in and of itself is highly variable.
Yes of course you are right.

Though I would say that some of the full service airlines have extremely competitive pricing if you are willing to buy out in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Yes of course you are right.

Though I would say that some of the full service airlines have extremely competitive pricing if you are willing to buy out in advance.
Indeed! As I noted above, we chose Vietnam Airlines over Vietjet HAN-DAD recently based on price! $32 Economy Lite fare on Vietnam vs. twice that plus fees on Vietjet! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.