Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

International Transfer

International Transfer

Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

International Transfer

Looking at coming through Bangkok on Qatar Airlines from Dohar then onto Bankgkok Airways to Siem Reap.

I should be able to get his on one ticket so won't have to pick up luggage etc., - Just not sure as to which connecting flight to grab for timelines.

How much time will a person need from gate to gate and what is the process here if just transferring and not grabbing luggage. Qatar should be able to print my boarding pass but a lot of the times I find we still have to hit the transfer desk for another boarding pass that actually works.

Same thing coming back through.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
MCT is 75 minutes. I'd allow a bit more than that.
QR may well not print your PG boarding passes, plan on a visit to the transit desk.
Then pass through security, and into the departures area.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thank You! I literally just tried to book this and now realized that Bangkok Airways does not have their flight schedule posted to book that far in advance!! I wanted to book right now because of a business class seat sale with Qatar........so I am in a little bind.

I am thinking of now having to purchase the BKK to REP return tickets seperately. So next question.......how much time do I need here at BKK if I have to literally go through immigration etc., ; pick up luggage then get back to the departure level check in and back through security etc., for the next flight?

Weird, I have always booked our next winter vacation very early and have never had a problem with flights.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It depends on the time of the day and your class of travel too. If it is a busy time BKK immigration queue could get very long. I would put at least 3 hours because the incoming flight could get delayed and BKK always has delays due to congestion.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, three hours, at a minimum for a semi-safe connection. Don't forget, you have to clear Immigration twice, and security once. At busy times, they don't even allow people to go up the escalator to the security halls as they have to manage the flow.

I do not believe the MCT of 1:15 refers to this type of connection, but rather one that involves bags checked through and the mid-field connection (which can also have massive queues).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Thank You! I literally just tried to book this and now realized that Bangkok Airways does not have their flight schedule posted to book that far in advance!! I wanted to book right now because of a business class seat sale with Qatar........so I am in a little bind.

I am thinking of now having to purchase the BKK to REP return tickets seperately. So next question.......how much time do I need here at BKK if I have to literally go through immigration etc., ; pick up luggage then get back to the departure level check in and back through security etc., for the next flight?

Weird, I have always booked our next winter vacation very early and have never had a problem with flights.
Qatar is a code share partner with Bangkok Airways. You should be able to interline your check baggage to REP. Make sure you have both copies of your tickets (not just the reservation locator) to give to the check in agent. You still will have to go through security rescreening in the transit area but not through immigrations.

Even though One World policy does not allow interlining of baggage on two seperate PNRs, Qatar is now interlining check baggage on two different PNRs in contrast to OW policy

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-th/p...codeshare.html
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PG did change their "separate ticket" baggage check-through rules a few years ago.

https://www.bangkokair.com/separate-ticket

I can't tell if they'll accept bags from QR, based on their page:

Furthermore, with the revised new separate ticket policy, Bangkok Airways hold no responsibility for any mishandling or misconnect flight other than our operating flight from origin to destination reflected on Bangkok Airways’ ticket. This policy will apply to all inbound and outbound travel.

For INBOUND travel, Bangkok Airways will not accept through check both passenger and bags from International/domestic flight to connect with any PG flight in case of any two separate tickets issued. Passenger must claim the luggage and recheck in at Bangkok Airways check in counter to obtain PG boarding pass. For those traveling with International flight, passenger must also need to clear customs and immigration.

Bangkok Airways strongly recommend traveler to issue ticket in one conjunctive ticket instead of multiple separate tickets to avoid hassles at the connecting point, and enjoy care free journey without anxieties.

Based on Example 4, it seems like you should be able to check bags through on the RETURN trip, on separate tickets: REP-BKK-XXX, and avail yourself of the int'l-int'l mid-field connection procedures.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 17, 2019 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much! Appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.