Suvarnabhumi Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suvarnabhumi Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Does the area around 7-10 have access for non arrival pax?
Yes, I often exit at 9 or 10 to walk down the outside of the building and have a cigarette. I then re-enter the building before heading on to the meeting point.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ft101
Yes, I often exit at 9 or 10 to walk down the outside of the building and have a cigarette. I then re-enter the building before heading on to the meeting point.
Interesting, for arrivals and departures I rarely spend any time on that end of the airport.......
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
...Suggest you wear a red rose in your button hole or carry a copy of the New York Times so your friend can recognise you
Does TG still hand out roses to disembarking Business Class passengers? If so, there could be a severe case of mistaken identity

Last edited by puchong; Mar 25, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In theory luggage could be taken by strangers in the secure area as well And there are a fair amount of stories about people taking the wrong suitcase. Though that is usually more absent minded than ill intended.
This was a plot line in Shameless on Showtime. Ian started stealing suitcases from one of the Chicago airports. He would bring the luggage home and sort it. Most of it was useless crap, but he kept doing it as the piles of half used shampoos, worn shoes and other people's underwear grew bigger and bigger and Micky and family members begged him to stop.

I actually watched three seasons of that show when flying back and forth to BKK a few years back.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
This was a plot line in Shameless on Showtime. Ian started stealing suitcases from one of the Chicago airports. He would bring the luggage home and sort it. Most of it was useless crap, but he kept doing it as the piles of half used shampoos, worn shoes and other people's underwear grew bigger and bigger and Micky and family members begged him to stop.

I actually watched three seasons of that show when flying back and forth to BKK a few years back.
I could see that being a plotline for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as well, but which one of the dolts would be the suitcase thief is for the writers to decide.

In reality there have been several police announcements of having caught 'gangs' who's sole aim is theft at BKK; some pickpockets and others baggage from the carousel. Of course the latter is made easier by immigration's futile attempts at managing entry in a timely manner.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by puchong
Does TG still hand out roses to disembarking Business Class passengers? If so, there could be a severe case of mistaken identity
I remember those. It was a pinky purple/white orchid, used to get one every time I arrived somewhere on J with TG. They smelled great too.

Didn't taste so good though...
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:31 am

If it's not too late...there are designated 'meeting points' that you will reach after following the crowd out of the baggage area . It is a good idea to exchange some money while still in the baggage area . The exchange won't be the best but you won't get hurt that bad . Then you are ready for cabs , food etc .After grabbing your bags proceed through the ' Nothing to Declare " portal ( Often there is no one there so just walk through .) Non Passengers are only permitted to a point then must wait . They can watch for you to emerge on tv monitors . There are many levels so do not confuse the issue by going up or down . Sounds complicated but , it's not that bad . Have a good time!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dalo
It is a good idea to exchange some money while still in the baggage area
Not under any circumstance is this a good idea. Use the ATM if you can get the fees refunded by your bank or head downstairs behind the train ticket office to legit exchanges with legit rates. Don't feed the animals in the zoo and don't feed the scam rates at the bank kiosks (who are mandated what rate they can exchange at by AoT).
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Not under any circumstance is this a good idea. Use the ATM if you can get the fees refunded by your bank or head downstairs behind the train ticket office to legit exchanges with legit rates. Don't feed the animals in the zoo and don't feed the scam rates at the bank kiosks (who are mandated what rate they can exchange at by AoT).
Whats the ATM rate and what's the airport kiosk rate? Right of the bat for using the ATM you pay almost $10 to that local bank plus $3 for US bank (in my case).
I never used ATM even once while in Thailand - just because of the theft of 250-280 Bahts.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Whats the ATM rate and what's the airport kiosk rate? Right of the bat for using the ATM you pay almost $10 to that local bank plus $3 for US bank (in my case).
I never used ATM even once while in Thailand - just because of the theft of 250-280 Bahts.
You may wish to consider a bank account with Charles Schwab. They refund all ATM charges, even the exorbitant Thailand ones.

Anyway, I believe the point is that it is better to leave the airport to do your money exchanges. You will get a better rate. If someone wishes to exchange a small amount for the convenience of having cash for taxi, etc. it will "cost" a bit for the convenience.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whats the ATM rate and what's the airport kiosk rate? Right of the bat for using the ATM you pay almost $10 to that local bank plus $3 for US bank (in my case). I never used ATM even once while in Thailand - just because of the theft of 250-280 Bahts.
You missed the part where I said "Use the ATM if you can get the fees refunded by your bank".

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You may wish to consider a bank account with Charles Schwab. They refund all ATM charges, even the exorbitant Thailand ones.

Anyway, I believe the point is that it is better to leave the airport to do your money exchanges. You will get a better rate. If someone wishes to exchange a small amount for the convenience of having cash for taxi, etc. it will "cost" a bit for the convenience.
Yup, Schwab is one of the banks that refund ALL fees. However you don't need to leave the airport to get legit and good exchange rates, just head downstairs to B and behind the train ticket counter are myriad booths giving several Baht to the dollar better than those anywhere else in the airport (because they are controlled by AoT).
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:49 pm

Right of the bat for using the ATM you pay almost $10 to that local bank plus $3 for US bank (in my case).
Who is "you"?

et me guess, you bank with B of A or some other big US commercial bank with ridiculous fees?

Run and get yourself a Schwab One or Fidelity CMA account. No fees and no minimums I believe and they both rebate ATM fees. Link your other bank account so you can do online ACH transfers between the accounts. (takes a few days to clear.) Then you never have to worry about which ATM to use in Thailand. Just make sure you do all transactions in local currency. And if you don't like Fidelity or Schwab, find yourself a credit union that rebates ATM fees.

Hey, if you like your current bank account, you can keep it. Just have another one with fee rebates to use when you travel overseas.

-David
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

How much is monthly maintenance fee for Schwab account?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Effectively, $1,000 deposit will waive all fees.

The Schwab checking account is free, no annual fee, but it must be linked to a brokerage account. And you need to deposit $1k to open the brokerage account.

After that... zero.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold, Bonvoy - Silver, Star Citizen - Concierge
I didn't even have to deposit 1k to open the brokerage account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.