FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suvarnabhumi Airport
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:39 pm
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Whats the ATM rate and what's the airport kiosk rate? Right of the bat for using the ATM you pay almost $10 to that local bank plus $3 for US bank (in my case). I never used ATM even once while in Thailand - just because of the theft of 250-280 Bahts.
You missed the part where I said "Use the ATM if you can get the fees refunded by your bank".

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You may wish to consider a bank account with Charles Schwab. They refund all ATM charges, even the exorbitant Thailand ones.

Anyway, I believe the point is that it is better to leave the airport to do your money exchanges. You will get a better rate. If someone wishes to exchange a small amount for the convenience of having cash for taxi, etc. it will "cost" a bit for the convenience.
Yup, Schwab is one of the banks that refund ALL fees. However you don't need to leave the airport to get legit and good exchange rates, just head downstairs to B and behind the train ticket counter are myriad booths giving several Baht to the dollar better than those anywhere else in the airport (because they are controlled by AoT).