Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Where is this?

Anyone know where this photo is from?

https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...?lang=3n&cc=fr
Old May 31, 2017, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My best guess is the Talad Rod Fai Night Market, Ratchada, Bangkok, Thailand.

(I've never been there, or if I have it was 30 years ago. For those interested in finding locations in images, I first searched for market colorful awning and then night market colorful awning. I looked at the image tab of Google until I saw results that looked right.)
Old May 31, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks, that's it!
Old May 31, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Thanks, that's it!
You're welcome!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

This seems to be the "new" Rot Fai market near the Thailand Cultural Center, rather than the previous one that's not close to any bts/mtr stop?

Mod please feel free to move this to the Thailand board.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jun 1, 2017 at 5:41 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:53 am

This seems to be the "new" Rot Fai market near the Thailand Cultural Center, rather than the previous one that's not close to any bts/mtr stop?

Mod please feel free to move this to the Thailand board.
Ask and you shall receive.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it seems like the "New Rot Fai Market at Ratchada" behind the Esplanade Shopping center on Ratchadapisek Road. (I think it may have previously been near Chatuchak?)

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/rot-...t-ratchada.htm

Map link

Or, it could be the larger talad (market) rot fai (train) out on Srinakarin Road behind Seacon Square which I think operates Thu-Sun.

http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-mark...fai-market.htm

(I once saw some forlorn German tourists in Seacon, but they were looking for the Railroad market - Maeklong - in Samut Songkhram, and they were confused when I told them that train market was ~ 100 Km away.)

Last edited by transpac; Jun 20, 2017 at 12:37 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mikey Chen (Strictly Dumpling) was in Bangkok recently, and he made a trip to this market (at Ratchada). The soup at ~ 12:15 is one of my favorites, although the version I usually have isn't quite as impressive.

Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by transpac
Yes, it seems like the "New Rot Fai Market at Ratchada" behind the Esplanade Shopping center on Ratchadapisek Road. (I think it may have previously been near Chatuchak?)

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/rot-...t-ratchada.htm

Map link

Or, it could be the larger talad (market) rot fai (train) out on Srinakarin Road behind Seacon Square which I think operates Thu-Sun.

http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-mark...fai-market.htm

(I once saw some forlorn German tourists in Seacon, but they were looking for the Railroad market - Maeklong - in Samut Songkhram, and they were confused when I told them that train market was ~ 100 Km away.)
The header photo on the second site seem to also be the new market by the Esplanade shopping center, no? I remember reading about getting that view from the mall.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The header photo on the second site seem to also be the new market by the Esplanade shopping center, no? I remember reading about getting that view from the mall.
I confess to not having been to either train night markets (Ratchada, Srinakarin) and am still confused, but most people I ask indicate that photo is from the Ratchada market. No clue if you can get a view from Esplanade - (maybe the parking garage? which is towards the back of that complex I think). There are other taller buildings adjacent: RS Tower, Thai Military Bank.

It seems like some photos are from Esplanade, but are flipped?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: EK Pleb
The picture in the OP’s original post is the Tad Rot Fai Night Market, located at rear of the Esplanade Shopping Mall, off the Ratchadapisek Road. This market is also known as: ‘New Tad Rot Fai Night Market’ or ‘Tad Rot Fai Night Market 2’.

To make matters confusing (which isn’t difficult in Thailand) there are two night markets called Tad Rot Fai Night Market in Bangkok. One is located at the rear of Seacon Square Shopping Mall on the Srinakarin Road and the other at the rear of the Esplanade Shopping Mall, off the Ratchadapisek Road. Just to confuse things a bit more, Tad Rot Fai is sometimes called also Tad Rod Fai.

The photo in the OP’s original post was taken from the multi-story car park which is part of the shopping mall, looking west. FYI: there are no windows or other elevated vantage points to take a photo of the market from the rear of the shopping mall.

I have attached a photo of mine taken earlier this year and you will see that the tall buildings in the background match with that of the OP’s original photo.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.