ATMs when visiting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs when visiting?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the Fidelity, Schwab et al ATM fee reimbursement is a bit of a loophole which benefits us. Since they don't have any of their own ATMs in the U.S. they need to offer the fee reimbursement. The fact that they extend that internationally, and that the Thai Banker's Association sort of controls these fees, works out well for us. I think Fidelity may have a monthly limit on the number of fee-reimbursed transactions (like 5?), but I've never hit that. I also think there are some countries (U.K., France, etc) which have similar cards, based on my vague recollection of some posts on ThaiVisa.

There also seem to be a lot more foreign fee (3%) free credit cards available in the U.S. now; at least it seems that way to me.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
I also think there are some countries (U.K., France, etc) which have similar cards, based on my vague recollection of some posts on ThaiVisa.
I'm pretty sure there's none widely available in the UK, or I would have applied for one.

Originally Posted by transpac
There also seem to be a lot more foreign fee (3%) free credit cards available in the U.S. now; at least it seems that way to me.
I've had at least one fee free card for several years now. There seems to be a good selection in the UK.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I had an ATM card for a couple of years in the mid-1970s, but not since. The problem was that I'd withdraw or deposit money but then forget to write it in my checkbook register. Every so often I'd have to stop using the account to let everything clear so I'd know how much money I had.
lol .. for a computer literate guy, you are stuck in the 70s?

Online accounts combined with something like quicken and every credit, debit, ATM, deposit, withdrawal, etc are automatically tracked for you when you do your regular account update. They download the transactions for you from your financial institution right into quicken giving you an instant snapshot of your current balance. If you don't write a check down or enter a transaction manually, it will get picked up when it clears your financial institution.

If you enter your starting balances (which can also be automated to some extent, but not necessarily the history for investments) you can get an instant picture of your entire financial life.

Maybe with the help of flyertalk we can help you move to mid-90s technology?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 3, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
lol .. for a computer literate guy, you are stuck in the 70s?
I'm afraid so. It was years before I trusted electronic banking enough to use PayPal! Also, in Massachusetts, attorney's client funds trust accounts require paper, -- checks, deposits, etc. Electronic banking is not permitted.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm afraid so. It was years before I trusted electronic banking enough to use PayPal! Also, in Massachusetts, attorney's client funds trust accounts require paper, -- checks, deposits, etc. Electronic banking is not permitted.
ugh paypal is very consumer unfriendly. I stay away from using paypal, and the one time I checked on their exchange rates, they were pretty high. Not sure about now, but I have a bank account with a small balance as the only account linked to paypal because you give them the right to claw back money when you do business with them. (At least that applies to US accounts, not sure about UK or EU, since they tend to use push rather than pull.)

Anyway I assumed you were talking about your personal accounts, not your clients trust funds, since ATM transactions were involved.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.