Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs when visiting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I had an ATM card for a couple of years in the mid-1970s, but not since. The problem was that I'd withdraw or deposit money but then forget to write it in my checkbook register. Every so often I'd have to stop using the account to let everything clear so I'd know how much money I had.
Yeah. Well...

90+% of my checks are from me to me, swapping money from one account to another in a faster way than ACH online debit (my credit union has instant availability for deposited funds, very convenient if I have to tap an emergency fund or an "envelope budget" I've set aside- bills, travel, college fund, fun money, etc.).

I've probably written less than 10 physical checks not involving from me, to me in the past two years (online billpay that generates a check is different).

As such I don't bounce checks (that I don't write) and I know roughly what I have to spend in my "envelopes" (pretty precisely if I go online and check balances). That plus online account access + budgeting software and you don't bounce checks or overspend.

So for me, ATM cards are fine for "well, it's Thailand, I'll need some cash". I've usually already set aside the travel budget for cash I expect to spend into the correct account/"envelope" that has no-fee ATM withdrawals.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 31, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I've probably written less than 10 physical checks not involving from me, to me in the past two years (online billpay that generates a check is different).
My lawn care guy wants to be paid by check. He leaves a bill and I leave a check for him the next time he shows up. That's pretty much my only check each month.

I have an irrational fear of having an ATM problem while abroad: losing a card, using a fake ATM or having my PIN stolen. In my mind, someone will access and drain my account. We left my mom's bank account open after she passed away. Prior to leaving the country, I put money into that account and use that ATM card. We still have a card in her name, which gives me a second card to have with me. If something happens, I'll only temporarily lose my spending money, not the money I use to pay bills or my cushion. Plus: She banked with BOA, which saves me the fee.

Yes, I know something could just as easily happen in the US, but my fear is only for when I'm out of the country.

One more thing I learned the hard way... check your daily withdrawal limit before traveling. My limit was $750/day. When in Thailand, I tried to take out 20k baht and was denied. I tried 15k. Same thing. 10k. Same. At this point, I was in a complete panic, thinking something happened. I ran back to the hotel and checked my balance online. There was more than enough money. Still in a panic, I Skyped the bank. Turns out, I had not taken more than $200/day out of an ATM in a long time, so the bank had lowered my daily limit without notice. They put the limit back to $750 immediately, but now I check before traveling. While I do not take out much cash when in the US, I tend to take out larger amounts while traveling.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:43 pm

ATMs give currency at interbank rate and when you have a banking option that will eat the 200-220 THB ATM fee (Charles Schwab, e*Trade, Fidelity- the last two I have and they rebate the fee), there's really no reason to use a traveler's check.
Having an account which reimburses fees is probably not an available option for most people. The first choice in this case appears to be to take the card into the branch and withdraw at the counter. Same Visa/MC rate and no fee.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Having an account which reimburses fees is probably not an available option for most people. The first choice in this case appears to be to take the card into the branch and withdraw at the counter. Same Visa/MC rate and no fee.
Again, counter-service withdrawals using a foreign ATM VISA/MC debit card isn't something I've stayed up to speed on, but a quick review of some threads on ThaiVisa reveals quite a bit of variability.

Obviously you have to utilize a bank branch which is open and queue (bring your passport; plan to spend a bit of time), they may or may not require that you have an account with them as well, they may or may not charge their standard ATM fee, they may or may not offer DCC only - I'm pretty sure SCB is in this category, they may or may not collect an interchange fee. The staff may or may not be capable of successfully executing your request. Your home bank may or may not apply an interbank or international fee. They may or may not re-direct you to their ATM machine.

If you've had success it might be good to share the exact bank, branch/location and additional details?

There are a few other hacks that people have said work: some people do a cash advance (at the counter with no fee) and then immediately, on-line cover those funds before any interest is applied. If you miss a day or two the interest might still only be $1.00.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
My flight was delayed and arrived at BKK around midnight. Many of the ATM's at the airport had signs that they are closed from 11pm to 5am (or maybe it was 6am?)

That said, I still found a working ATM. I took out 10,000 which mostly lasted me the whole trip. I did take out 2,000 from an ATM in my hotel lobby the day before i left and had just a few hundred left at the end.

I use a credit union, which gives some of the best exchange rates out there, and reimburses any bank fees.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by aztimm
I did take out 2,000 from an ATM in my hotel lobby the day before i left and had just a few hundred left at the end.

I use a credit union, which gives some of the best exchange rates out there, and reimburses any bank fees.
When checking out of the hotel, I put aside a little bit more than I'll need for the taxi to the airport and put the rest towards the hotel bill. That's the best exchange rate. Yes, I lose some Marriott points by not paying for everything on the card, but it beats taking a hit converting the money back to US currency. I try to leave enough to get to the hotel on the next trip to avoid paying excess fees at the airport. I've got a drawer full of currency from Europe, Canada, China, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brazil, Mexico and Australia. I've had neighbors email me asking for currency and they bring back about the same amount after returning.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
My flight was delayed and arrived at BKK around midnight. Many of the ATM's at the airport had signs that they are closed from 11pm to 5am (or maybe it was 6am?)

That said, I still found a working ATM. I took out 10,000 which mostly lasted me the whole trip. I did take out 2,000 from an ATM in my hotel lobby the day before i left and had just a few hundred left at the end.

I think SCB and TMB (Thai Military Bank) retain exclusive rights for financial services at SBIA-BKK. However, this "arrangement" does not appear to extend to the Ground level (where you catch the airport rail-link), where you will find a number of other bank's ATMs, and 'independent' foreign currency exchange booths.

I guess I would be surprised if SCB and TMB ATMs were regularly "closed" each day for 6 - 7 hours? Perhaps one or more ATMs was temporarily out of cash? Or this was a one-day occurrence - SCB did just recently close their network overnight for an update?

Typically the ATM card's network (VISA, MC, etc.) sets the rate, rather than your credit union.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SunLover
$50 and $100 USD notes in pristine (basically uncirculated) condition and of the latest design get the best reception. IMO it is worth the effort visiting multiple bank branches (if necessary) in your home market to accomplish this.

SL
If your aim is traveling to Myanmar than I agree, but for exchange in Thailand pristine condition bills are totally overkill.

What I use to exchange, and have never had a problem, not once, is bills in good condition, nothing more, nothing less. And this is based upon a sizable exchange, multiple times, on a yearly basis - mostly at Superich (green).
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having an account which reimburses fees is probably not an available option for most people.
"Most people" don't travel in Thailand, either. It's not really much of an insurmountable obstacle to get a brokerage account that gives you ATM access at a low-fee, discount brokerage, or a credit union, as a way to minimize ATM/currency exchange fees if you like traveling overseas on a regular basis.

I'm personally not interested in having to deal with bank personnel in a foreign country (and possible language barriers) every single time I want cash, so I choose options where I can use ATMs and not pay penalties outside the USA. I suppose other people have different standards of what is convenient.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 1, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoops, double post...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If your aim is traveling to Myanmar than I agree, but for exchange in Thailand pristine condition bills are totally overkill.

What I use to exchange, and have never had a problem, not once, is bills in good condition, nothing more, nothing less. And this is based upon a sizable exchange, multiple times, on a yearly basis - mostly at Superich (green).
Well I did say "best reception" and not absolute reception. It is far easier to make notes look more warn than less warn.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
One more thing I learned the hard way... check your daily withdrawal limit before traveling. My limit was $750/day. When in Thailand, I tried to take out 20k baht and was denied. I tried 15k. Same thing. 10k. Same. At this point, I was in a complete panic, thinking something happened. I ran back to the hotel and checked my balance online. There was more than enough money. Still in a panic, I Skyped the bank. Turns out, I had not taken more than $200/day out of an ATM in a long time, so the bank had lowered my daily limit without notice. They put the limit back to $750 immediately, but now I check before traveling. While I do not take out much cash when in the US, I tend to take out larger amounts while traveling.
Notifying your financial institutions before traveling abroad is best practices. Give them the travel dates, the countries you intend to visit, and double check your credit and withdrawal limits. Especially if you don't go overseas a lot; there is an increased chance of getting flagged as a questionable transaction.

SL
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
If you've had success it might be good to share the exact bank, branch/location and additional details?
(Un)fortunately not, as I opened a local account a couple of years ago as my visits increased in frequency and the effects of the charges increased. I now do a combination of bringing cash and international transfer in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:05 pm

It's not really much of an insurmountable obstacle to get a brokerage account that gives you ATM access at a low-fee, discount brokerage, or a credit union, as a way to minimize ATM/currency exchange fees if you like traveling overseas on a regular basis.
I thought these accounts were primarily available in the USA only, with a smattering of credit unions elsewhere. Without US residency or a workaround then obtaining one is just not possible for most, unless I'm missing a trick here?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought these accounts were primarily available in the USA only, with a smattering of credit unions elsewhere. Without US residency or a workaround then obtaining one is just not possible for most, unless I'm missing a trick here?
I can't possibly say what's the case for customers with accounts from outside the USA; I don't own a non-US banking/brokerage/credit union account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_usage_fees
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:30 pm

I can't possibly say what's the case for customers with accounts from outside the USA; I don't own a non-US banking/brokerage/credit union account.
"Most people" are not from the USA and that was the point when I said:

"Having an account which reimburses fees is probably not an available option for most people."

but you seemed to disagree and indicate it was not insurmountable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.