Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I left bkk yesterday and could not get an uber in the afternoon. I settled for the hotel to get me a cab and it ended up being around 460 THB all-in. Was I ripped off? The meter was around 140 lower than that, he just mumblejumbled something took my 1000 note, returned me a stack of change and drove away.
Are you in the habit of accepting partial change in all your transactions?

In the future having smaller notes is in your best interest to avoid these scenarios.

if the hotel gave you a card with the taxi's plate number or any other identifying info you can file a complaint.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: The Embassy
About 140 sounds like the cost of tollways
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
About 140 sounds like the cost of tollways
where do you travel that the tolls add up to 140?

While we don't know where OP was coming from, unless the journey also used the DMK highway stretch, the toll would likely be 75B.

And we don't even know if OP's taxi used the highway although that would generally be a safe assumption.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
From Bangna area to Don Mueang airport the tolls would put you 120 Bahts
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I originated from the Pen. I hope the 'differential' was the toll and the surcharge (do they charge that for drop offs?). I did ask the door staff there about tolls and fares and stuff but they were pretty incompetent in giving a response Anyway it was still cheaper than taking an Uber and after all it's just a couple dozen baht..
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who like to use the Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link (SARL) you may wish to get up to speed on recent issues. There is some rumbling (again) about operations, safety, maintenance. We could be approaching a tipping point where human error combined with a lack of maintenance leads to potential problems.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26361783-post483.html

Maintenance failure blamed for airport train breakdown

THE failure to undertake a major maintenance programme led to a three-hour breakdown of Bangkok’s Airport Rail Link yesterday morning, with six passengers injured following a sudden power blackout that left an operating train idle between stations.

A major maintenance programme is needed as the rail system's trains have travelled more than 1.5 million kilometres, said former deputy Bangkok Governor Samart Rajapolsit.

However, Samart, who previously supervised the city's mass transit system, said the Airport Rail Link, operated by a unit of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), had not done needed major repair work, even though the five-year-old rail system has exceeded its 1.5-million-kilometre mark.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30282168.html

Ministers slam rail link for rescue chaos

"I have checked. The airport link has had problems for a long time. No one has bothered to pay attention," Gen Prayut said.

Mr Ormsin said the company had failed to maintain the rail system and take sufficient care of commuters.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...r-rescue-chaos
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I originated from the Pen. I hope the 'differential' was the toll and the surcharge (do they charge that for drop offs?).

Typically the passenger (in a metered taxi) pays the toll by handing some cash to the driver as they approach the toll-booth. (Some taxis may have EZpasses, in which case you would reimburse the driver.)

There is no airport surcharge (currently 50 THB) for drop-offs at the airport. Surprised this hasn't been implemented yet?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I originated from the Pen. I hope the 'differential' was the toll and the surcharge (do they charge that for drop offs?). I did ask the door staff there about tolls and fares and stuff but they were pretty incompetent in giving a response Anyway it was still cheaper than taking an Uber and after all it's just a couple dozen baht..
Tolls should have been 75B (25B + 50B) and there's no surcharge going to the airport.

As for the bolded [mine] would you accept if your local grocery overcharged you for items? Why do you shrug it off in such a cavalier notion in this instance?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: The Embassy
would you accept if your local grocery overcharged you for items? Why do you shrug it off in such a cavalier notion in this instance?
I shrug it off because I respect my time and mental state (and when it comes to Thai taxi drivers, personal safety) to worry too much about inconsequential amounts of money

I note tolls from my place, which is probably about as far as the op, are consistently 100 THB.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

While we don't know where OP was coming from, unless the journey also used the DMK highway stretch, the toll would likely be 75B.

And we don't even know if OP's taxi used the highway although that would generally be a safe assumption.
70 baht when you get on the tollway another 50 at Din Daeng if you continue on the highway.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
70 baht when you get on the tollway another 50 at Din Daeng if you continue on the highway.
OP was coming from the PEN so it would have been 25 + 50 for tolls.

And i thought the stretch up to DMK was 60B.?.

There is no 70B one time fee.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SARL crapped out again today...story/headline says it's the second breakdown, but there are many reports of at least two breakdowns last week. Suspect the lack of maintenance, and SRT "capabilities", are resulting in outages. Hopefully there is not some catastrophic event.

Airport Rail Link breaks down for SECOND time in a week

The Airport Rail Link broke down for the second time in a week today, leaving passengers stranded for about an hour.

A track switch failure between Ratchaprarop and Phaya Thai stations resulted in rail operations being suspended around 3.45pm this afternoon, Khaosod English reported.

On Monday a power outage on the Airport Rail Link led to700 commuters being locked inside a train with some fainting due to a lack of oxygen. The passengers were forced to break open the emergency exits to get out before and forced to walk along the rail track to get to the next train.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/2...cond-time-week
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:24 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Super hot meters again

http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/03/28/update-taxi-scams-from-the-grand-hyatt-erawan-bangkok/
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I've regularly has the GH Erawan try to get me to take a fixed rate of THB 400 to the airport. An overcharge of 100-150 which I'm sure they must get a kickback from....
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I hate the hot meter thing. Sure, I know how to manage it and do it when I have to. And an extra 100-200 baht isn't a ton of money for anyone who is flying to BKK from the U.S. I get that. But after flying 25-30 hours, the last thing I want to do is to have to be alert to a taxi scam and then deal with it at the end of the ride. When I step off the plane, I feel as though I'm finally here (because I am, of course) and can relax. If I'm traveling light, I'm on the ARL. If out of service hours or I've got real luggage, you'll find me in the hotel limo. Easy-peasy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.