Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: aa
We went back and forth to the airport a few times on this trip, and every time we got into a SUV type of taxi they all wanted 700 to or from the airport. Is there something different about the SUV? We never had a problem with a car using the meter though.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
Is there something different about the SUV?
It's larger, especially the trunk, so it can take 4 passengers including baggage ... imho that's why they ask for a higher rate
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
We went back and forth to the airport a few times on this trip, and every time we got into a SUV type of taxi they all wanted 700 to or from the airport. Is there something different about the SUV? We never had a problem with a car using the meter though.
Typically its an a/i price and it's dependent upon the hotel from which you depart.

From Marriott Soi 57 the cost was 700Baht and from Hyatt Erawan we paid 500. No rhyme or reason but these are based upon more than 1 departure from each hotel.

If you don't need the trunk space then the Innova is a poor choice for your needs.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:09 pm

Arrived at BKK earlier this week.

Signs to the taxi area were easy to follow and the queues were non-existent.

I went to one of the counters at the taxi area and asked for a taxi to the Hilton, I specifically said I want one that will use a meter.

She said yes and explained to the driver.

Soon as we get in the car:

"so how much do you want to pay?" And said the meter wasn't a good option because there was traffic.

I firmly said (three times) that I wanted to use the meter and he eventually obliged.

It ended up costing 410 inc tolls.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obiterdictum
Arrived at BKK earlier this week.

Signs to the taxi area were easy to follow and the queues were non-existent.
Really? Funny I saw huge queues a few days ago upon arrival. They just happened to be on the driver side of the booths.

Soon as we get in the car:

"so how much do you want to pay?" And said the meter wasn't a good option because there was traffic.

I firmly said (three times) that I wanted to use the meter and he eventually obliged.

It ended up costing 410 inc tolls.
Not surprising unfortunately and good you held your ground. It was rather altruistic for the driver to attempt to sway you away from the awful meter because of traffic.

Which Hilton? Millennium? Soi 24? And was that including tolls and 50 baht airport fee?

Sounds very high for anything but Millennium Hilton.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Really? Funny I saw huge queues a few days ago upon arrival. They just happened to be on the driver side of the booths.

Not surprising unfortunately and good you held your ground. It was rather altruistic for the driver to attempt to sway you away from the awful meter because of traffic.

Which Hilton? Millennium? Soi 24? And was that including tolls and 50 baht airport fee?

Sounds very high for anything but Millennium Hilton.
Oh yes, my refusal to take up his offer led to an icy drive to the hotel - I usually like a chat.

I was on BA009 and we had an hours delay LHR side, ended up passing through taxi rank at 10:30am-11ish at a guess.

And it was the Millennium Hilton, good to hear the price was about right. It was including fees and tolls.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:33 am

Do not ask the man at the taxi desk what the fare is likely to be. I made that mistake and he told me it was B400 and also told the driver in Thai that that was the agreed price. It should have been about B300.

Also make sure the driver goes right into the hotel drop off area and doesn't stop in the road outside. They are less likely to try anything on with hotel staff nearby.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Typically its an a/i price and it's dependent upon the hotel from which you depart.

From Marriott Soi 57 the cost was 700Baht and from Hyatt Erawan we paid 500. No rhyme or reason but these are based upon more than 1 departure from each hotel.

If you don't need the trunk space then the Innova is a poor choice for your needs.
From Sukhumvit soi 8 (Adelphi Suites) I always pay 600 baht for the pre arranged mini van taxi. I usually have a couple of large suitcases (sometimes 3 of them depending on my shopping success).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by sim510
From Sukhumvit soi 8 (Adelphi Suites) I always pay 600 baht for the pre arranged mini van taxi. I usually have a couple of large suitcases (sometimes 3 of them depending on my shopping success).
Mini van taxi or Innova taxi ? I am looking for something bigger than Innova.
I am relocating and will have lots of luggage, can you PM me the number of the taxi driver if its a mini van.

Thanks, A
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Mini van taxi or Innova taxi ? I am looking for something bigger than Innova.
I am relocating and will have lots of luggage, can you PM me the number of the taxi driver if its a mini van.

Thanks, A
I don't have any information. My doorman always makes arrangements for this mini van taxi for me. Sorry...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:26 pm

Sat in BKK at the moment.

Millennium Hilton to the airport cost 627 before tolls. Journey took 50 minutes, only some stop / start traffic when crossing the river. Seemed on the high side. The driver was happy to put his meter on...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Millennium Hilton to the airport cost 627 before tolls. Journey took 50 minutes, only some stop / start traffic when crossing the river. Seemed on the high side. The driver was happy to put his meter on...
yes this is quite high.. i would believe a fare of around 400 is the average for this route..
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:18 am

BKK to the Millennium Hilton is about 40km and should cost just under 300 Baht, allowing for 10-15 minutes of waiting.

In reality waiting does not add much to the fare, at about 1.25 per minute, unless it has changed recently.

If the meter shows much over 40km, or the fare is much over 300Baht, just wait until all your bags are out at the hotel hand the driver 300 and say "your meter is wrong, the right price is about 300 Baht." They may protest a little, but my experience is that they soon accept the money on offer.

Be calm, polite, patient, but firm. No need for any rise in blood pressure.

Same story on the way back to the airport. If there is any problem, just suggest that you will call the police to resolve the situation.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope the car had some awesome a/c because that was one hot meter.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:27 pm

Does any one know much should I expect to pay a taxi from the airport to the Royal Orchid Sheraton?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.