Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Allvest
The fixed rate TO the airport is clearly marked inside the authorized taxis. FROM airport it's meter plus tolls plus airport surcharge.
If you read the official fare sheet that's not the case. They should have that posted in their cabs, but some don't.

I hope those of you all reading some of the "damned-be-taxi" advice here will consider to be polite, respectful, and know when to stop arguing with Thais about the fare ,or indeed any issue.

Don't be hyped up by armchair know-it alls into getting aggressive with the locals. If you ever disturbed a bees nest you will know what happens when a bunch of them get angry.
An excellent point. Not only do some of the armchair know-it-alls get aggressive with Thais, but sometimes you'll seem them get nasty with other people they disagree with. Like here.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Hotel staff doesn't argue with drivers. Most good hotels have prequalified taxis at their stand. And police showing up? Are you talking about Thailand or a parallel universe?

I have lived and worked in Bangkok for nearly ten years. Anyone who reads this can take it or leave it, but insisting on laws, regulations and that sort of thing in Thailand is laughable.
Hotel staff most certainly will inquire to a taxi why the cost on the meter was as such. And hotel will definitely stand behind a guest who would rather call the police to deal with the situation than pay an outlandish meter. Clearly if you feel this isn't the case I can understand why you feel 1000THB is a reasonable fee for a taxi to the airport and that a metered taxi can't be found.

Talk about a parallel universe all you want but you're living in a reality that is lala land.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Hotel staff most certainly will inquire to a taxi why the cost on the meter was as such. And hotel will definitely stand behind a guest who would rather call the police to deal with the situation than pay an outlandish meter. Clearly if you feel this isn't the case I can understand why you feel 1000THB is a reasonable fee for a taxi to the airport and that a metered taxi can't be found.

Talk about a parallel universe all you want but you're living in a reality that is lala land.
I have a reliable driver, and pay him 1000 baht. he comes to my door, picks up the bags, gets me to the airport on time and is trustworthy. he is just a metered taxi.

otherwise i expect to pay 500 baht TO he airport
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If you want to go to the airport probably better to say the name rather than "airport" and for the airtrain say the name of the station (phaya thai or Makkasan depending on where you are). If you're near a good hotel probably best to pop in and ask the concierge or front desk to write the name of the station in Thai since some of the names of the stations are the same as the name of a street so to be sure they understand that you want the station better to have it written.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Good point. I will print out names of important places before my trip. I will also as some TG staff before I head out as well just to confirm.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:36 pm

I know a lot of BKK expats and some pretty wealthy. Not one would pay Allvest's rates. Their regular drivers in new cars get 1200B to go to Pattaya which is 90 miles and 2 hrs. I don't care what he pays. It's up to him & really none of my business. Personally, I've had a couple hundred trips to and from both airports and have ALWAYS paid just the amount on the meter. For those unfamiliar with Bangkok taxis know that there is NO reason to pay more than 300B to BKK.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Mar 7, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was edited (not by me) to an extent that it fails to convey my point whatsoever. In fact it was butchered.

That the post doesn't indicated it was edited is something I find troubling.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agp423
I have not tackled the monstrosity that is the pronunciation of the airport name. But eventually I will have to.
You could probably also get away with sanam bin Thai Air. However 'airport Thai Air' is probably effective as well.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I have not tackled the monstrosity that is the pronunciation of the airport name. But eventually I will have to.
Soo-WA-nah-pboom should be passable enough to get you understood by most taxi drivers.

But dsquared is also correct -- saying "airport" and the airline name should work since Thai Airways fly only out of Suvarnabhumi. Likewise, if you catch a cab from a hotel, the porters can instruct the driver for you.

Your goal here is not to end up at the wrong airport.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay this will take some practice. I will report back once I get it down.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Okay this will take some practice. I will report back once I get it down.
SWAHN-uh-boom will do it.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I know a lot of BKK expats and some pretty wealthy. Not one would pay Allvest's rates. Their regular drivers in new cars get 1200B to go to Pattaya which is 90 miles and 2 hrs. I don't care what he pays. It's up to him & really none of my business. Personally, I've had a couple hundred trips to and from both airports and have ALWAYS paid just the amount on the meter. For those unfamiliar with Bangkok taxis know that there is NO reason to pay more than 300B to BKK.
Your last statement is completely correct. Never pay more than the meter (except from the airport the 50 baht fee, no additional fee to the airport). But that applies only to taxis. Private cars are worth a lot more and most ex-pats who use them pay a lot more.

I have one driver I use regularly to the airport and he charges me 900 THB. If he isn't available I use a hotel car which is usually 12-1500 THB.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was edited (not by me) to an extent that it fails to convey my point whatsoever. In fact it was butchered.

That the post doesn't indicated it was edited is something I find troubling.
I just looked at this and your previous post and they looked word for word the same to me. What did I miss.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Swan-ah-poom. Swaan-ah-poom. Is it poom or boom?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:28 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Swan-ah-poom. Swaan-ah-poom. Is it poom or boom?
It's both... or neither.... meaning it's a foreign language, any English translations are only interpretations.

If I was to write it in phonetics, I might write Soo-wanna-poom

All the above suggestions will likely be understood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.