Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:28 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Dumbass Tourists Facing 10 Years in Prison for Vandalizing Ancient Thai Wall

https://thepointsguy.com/news/touris...ent-thai-wall/

According to Reuters, Brittney Schneider of Canada and Furlong Lee of the UK were arrested last Friday for defacing an ancient wall in Chiang Mai.

The tourists, both 23, were caught spray-painting remains of a 13th-century fortress near the Tha Phae Gate. And it’s going to be hard for either Schneider or Lee to convince authorities to go easy on them. Reuters reported that the pair was documented committing the crime on a CCTV.
Sorry, I know I"m a little late to this topic. But, it's worth mentioning...

The wall isn't 13th century. It was built in the mid 80's

Stupid people do stupid things. I'd like to see Thailand crack down on more serious crime. But, that's just my opinion.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Sorry, I know I"m a little late to this topic. But, it's worth mentioning...

The wall isn't 13th century. It was built in the mid 80's

Stupid people do stupid things. I'd like to see Thailand crack down on more serious crime. But, that's just my opinion.
The current "Tha Phae Gate" sits on the remnants of the original wall that surrounded the city and dates back to 1296 when King Mengrai of Lannathai put his capital in Chiang Mai. The current gate was rebuilt in 1985-86.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall was also built in the 1980s but it doesn't mean it's okay to tag it!

Dalo likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:19 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The current "Tha Phae Gate" sits on the remnants of the original wall that surrounded the city and dates back to 1296 when King Mengrai of Lannathai put his capital in Chiang Mai. The current gate was rebuilt in 1985-86.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall was also built in the 1980s but it doesn't mean it's okay to tag it!
It's easier to get to Paris than the moon. Both are lovely, but hardly comparable.

It's not appropriate to tag it. But, 10 years in a Thai prison. If I was locked up for every inappropriate thing I did in my youth, I'd be serving a life sentence. Doesn't mean it's right.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
It's easier to get to Paris than the moon. Both are lovely, but hardly comparable.

It's not appropriate to tag it. But, 10 years in a Thai prison. If I was locked up for every inappropriate thing I did in my youth, I'd be serving a life sentence. Doesn't mean it's right.
If wishes were horses.....
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

Don't think being on the moon is lovely ...

Indeed, the punishment should match the crime ... this is apparently the usual attempt to squeeze them for some Baht. In a Trumpian world, this is called negotiation!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In an attempt to get a current status - maybe the Canadian woman was released - I did see a nugget I hadn't noticed before.

The pair found the nearly depleted can of spray paint on the ground, which someone discarded (OMG, littering, 20,000 baht fine and five years in jail, surely). So again, I'll stipulate that is was a stupid thing to do, but it's not like they planned some massive tagging effort, and visited the local HomePro to stock up on spray paint.

Minor infraction, 5,000 baht fine tops, and deportation is sufficient.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that this structure is 700 years old, merely that it exists on/near the site of a previous wall.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Any criminal justice system is designed to discourage behavior that the society deems inappropriate/unacceptable/undesirable (pick one or insert your own adjective). The more that a society wants to discourage certain behavior, the more severe the penalty will be. In a society like Thailand, where respect is so important, they have attached a penalty to this offense which is much more severe than we in the west might attach to the same offense. But I think that it's inappropriate for us to substitute our value system for theirs, or to measure the punishment provided for by law against our own laws.

Take that kid who keyed a car in Singapore a few years back. His punishment was some number of lashes, IIRC. Punishment was predictable, quick and short. And severe enough that he's unlikely to do it again. Compare to the U.S., where a good lawyer can cast sufficient reasonable doubt even on facts which are certain, where justice can take years for final adjudication, during which the accused may be in jail, and the punishment far from certain, what with time off for good behavior, parole, etc.

What's more, what would our reaction be if other countries started taking positions on our criminal justice system in the U.S.?
Dalo likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But I think that it's inappropriate for us to substitute our value system for theirs, or to measure the punishment provided for by law against our own laws.
Surely we're still allowed to express "an opinion"?

Thailand has many, many, many, many "unusual" laws, most of which have maximum fines/jail terms associated with them, and a "legal" system based on a hierarchical (Three Seals, 1805) application of punishment. And that's fine, obviously.

I'd just like to see the "authorities" pursue all acts of "vandalism" with equal zeal. And apply the "appropriate" punishment. If every single act of graffiti were similarly "prosecuted" then Thailand would need to build at least a few dozen more prisons.

Just my opinion, can't see how that is inappropriate?

My opinion is that this man and woman should be fined, and deported. Can't see how imprisoning them serves any purpose at all.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Any criminal justice system is designed to discourage behavior that the society deems inappropriate/unacceptable/undesirable (pick one or insert your own adjective). The more that a society wants to discourage certain behavior, the more severe the penalty will be.
That statement is debatable on multiple levels. For one, there is a good amount of empirical evidence that increasing sentencing rules doesn't deter criminals (i.e., the amount of crimes committed doesn't fall in response to more severe minimum and/or maximum penalties).

Furthermore, laws are not made by society. Even in a well-functioning democracy, political economy considerations play a role. And Thailand is not a full democracy. E.g., the Economist classifies it as a hybrid regime (i.e., somewhere in the middle between a flawed democracy and a full-blown authoritarian regime). Particularly the judiciary is not independent and bound by the law.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 1flyer
That statement is debatable on multiple levels. For one, there is a good amount of empirical evidence that increasing sentencing rules doesn't deter criminals (i.e., the amount of crimes committed doesn't fall in response to more severe minimum and/or maximum penalties).

Furthermore, laws are not made by society. Even in a well-functioning democracy, political economy considerations play a role. And Thailand is not a full democracy. E.g., the Economist classifies it as a hybrid regime (i.e., somewhere in the middle between a flawed democracy and a full-blown authoritarian regime). Particularly the judiciary is not independent and bound by the law.
We can debate whether or not the laws of any particular country are fair or effective; but the fact remains that the laws of each country are the laws. Yes, of course we can have and share opinions; but fair or not, reasonable or not, the laws here are what they are. If you come here, you voluntarily subject yourself to them.
Dalo likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
If you come here, you voluntarily subject yourself to them.
Where is here, Thailand or the USA? There clearly is a striking difference with regard to the rule of law. You are aware that since 2014, in several cases military courts more or less arbitrarily took over cases? And let's not even start speaking of the powers of the king when it comes to the judiciary.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Early on still so who knows where this might go, when and how it will be enforced, smokers should be cautious and maybe carry some extra cash to quickly resolve any "legal" issues.

Also, vaping and e-cigarettes, currently "illegal"/"outlawed", may become legal.

No more smoking in public in Thailand

Smokers heading outside the front of buildings in Thailand for a quick cigarette will soon be a thing of the past. New laws have been enacted that will shortly come into force.

This includes condos, rental buildings, pubs, hotels, religious buildings, karaoke establishments, restaurants, laundries, salons, cinemas, parking areas, spas, areas for Thai massage, clinics, hospitals, schools, swimming pools, fitness parks, clinics and ‘other places’, according to Thai Rath. The regulations also specify precisely where internal smoking areas in buildings may be located.

People flouting the new regulations will be fined 5,000 baht.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national...ic-in-thailand

Dates clarified for new smoking bans and regulations

The Thai Public Health Ministry official announcement has been issued for smoking bans from no smoking zones.

The fine will be 5,000 baht.

The announcement will be enforced from February 3 next year.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national...nd-regulations

E-cigarettes and vaping to be legalised in Thailand

The excise department says they will be taxing the devices and vaping liquids leading the way to their legal use in the Kingdom.

Many people have criticised Thai authorities for being behind the times in regards to their laws prohibiting vaping and vaping products.

E-cigarettes are legal and taxed in many parts of the world but in Thailand tourists wondered if they could face jail time for vaping.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national...ed-in-thailand
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This new mall/development is in the local news, as it had a grand opening. The drone light show was interesting.

It also houses Thailand's first official Apple Store, previously we made do with online fulfillment from Singapore and local, thrid party resellers.

Built to astonish

At Iconsiam, magnificent art and architecture evoking the Golden Land of legend temper luxury consumerism

BANGKOK, only a small trading post in the 15th century when Ayutthaya ruled the known world, became the capital of Siam 236 years ago, superseding Thon Buri on the opposite bank of the Chao Phraya River. It’s certainly undergone much radical change since then, mainly in the last 50 years, while Thon Buri – the capital for just 14 years – has remained its quiet neighbour.

Now, though, Iconsiam – the most expensive mixed-use development in Thai history at a price tag of Bt54 billion – is about to change the face of Thon Buri and the lifestyles of its residents forever. Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn officially opened the newest landmark on Charoen Nakhon Road yesterday in what was billed as a “Mega Phenomenon”. The event at dusk was by invitation only, but everyone can join in the rest of the opening festivities today and tomorrow.

Built to astonish

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...ns-in-bangkok/

Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Speaking about structures, Bangkok’s tallest skyscraper now has the highest rooftop bar and sky walks in the kingdom. But you have to shell out 1,050 THB for the "privilege": Bangkok?s Tallest Building Opens Skywalk

Tickets to the skywalk? They come at two levels: 850 baht tickets offer access to the 74th floor, while 1,050 baht tickets offer access to all the three floors (74th, 75th and 78th).

Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: most of them
did they ever open that hotel in that building?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.